Those with kids in HS Trap, how did the season go?

• CaptainMusky

I know there are several parents/grandparents who have kids that participate in the HS Trap Teams for various schools. Curious as to how their season went? My son ended up finishing with the highest average for his school. Their state day is June 16th. He was also invited to the National Meet in Michigan, but unfortunately we will be in Houston during that timeframe.

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

Both of my kids shot well enough to make varsity and earn a letter. My 9th grade daughter was girls conference champion and my 7th grade boy was 5th overall boy in the conference. He was also the only 7th grade boy to earn a letter in any sport at his school. My kids shoot state on the 13th. I heard that they are expecting over 8,000 kids at the state shoot this year, making it the world’s largest shooting event.

CaptainMusky

Fantastic job by your two kids! 8,000 is down from the first meet my oldest went to which was I think 4 years ago. That year they claimed over 10,000. It was absolutely insane how many kids were there, but it was so much fun to watch all the teams.

MNdrifter

The 14 y.o.’s first year. Started out low teens, ended up high teens by the end. Maple Lake team ended in 4th in their division, and was in striking distance of 3rd. Fun night shoot father son shoot he got a 20 his best score, and I pulled a 25 out of my a$$. That was fun! I haven’t shot out of a house in at least 15 years. Kinda got me thinking of starting a mens team again! He also shoots in Alexandria on the 16th. I believe house 9a at 10 a.m. It’s so awesome having shooting sports in school now days. Not every kid wants to chase a ball. I’ve got one that does and one that doesn’t.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I follow it as my cousins son has/is doing very well. He finished 2nd in his conference and will be going to State… he had a 22.7 Avg shock waytogo

KPE
    River Falls, WI

On this topic, just want to comment about how great it is that we have shooting sports in high schools. I grew up in St. Paul and went to school there, so you can imagine it was never an option. Knowing that my son will be attending a school where he can participate in shooting sports is a great feeling! Of course he might not want to, but I’m hopeful he will adopt the hobby.

CaptainMusky

On this topic, just want to comment about how great it is that we have shooting sports in high schools.

It absolutely is great! The other thing I like about it compared to other sports is its a lifelong sport and its a level playing field. Regardless of what you shoot, gender, etc there is really no advantage. One of the best shooters on my son’s team is a girl and she shoots a cheap 20 gauge. It is so fun watching these kids and they really love it.

deertracker

Is it in Alexandria like usual? I can hear the club from my house. Some long days put in for the range staff.
    DT

CaptainMusky

Is it in Alexandria like usual? I can hear the club from my house. Some long days put in for the range staff.
    DT

Yep! 13th – 21st

CaptainMusky

Out of curiosity I looked at last year’s national trap meet results and MN is very well represented:

2021 Individual Qualifier Results!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My oldest son shot for the first time as a 7th grader this year.

He started in the teens, which surprised me right out of the gate and now is regularly breaking 20+. His last comp day was a 21/25 and 21/25 and he is shooting a 20 gauge!

We’re heading to the state meet in Alex, shooting on Sunday. Anyone else going to be there on Saturday or Sunday?

I’m pretty excited for him, this is the first sport that he has an actual independent interest in and he really strives to do well. Hope my youngest can shoot next year as a 6th grader. Our school allocates spots from seniors down so some years there are no spots left for 6th graders, hopefully he gets one though.

Gitchi Gummi

Its pretty cool to follow along with all of your kids that are in the sport. Just out of curiosity, what kind of guns do most kids shoot? I’m sure it varies quite a bit but are kids using 12s or 20s more? pump, double barrel or semi auto? are there more 870s out there or specific trap guns?

CaptainMusky

Most kids in our school shoot 12. Its probably 80%. Its a mix of semi auto and pump with a few over unders. More pumps than semi auto, but I would say its fairly close. I see very few trap specific guns with our kids. A couple maybe.

Timmy

We shoot on Tuesday 6/1 at Alex. I am looking fwd to it. My boy, 10th gr, made our 1st squad. We have something like 13-14 kids with 20 or greater averages, so that makes for some stiff competition to make the top squad for alexandria! One more invite this weekend to sharpen them up and then the Alex state qualifier…..good times.

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

Its pretty cool to follow along with all of your kids that are in the sport. Just out of curiosity, what kind of guns do most kids shoot? I’m sure it varies quite a bit but are kids using 12s or 20s more? pump, double barrel or semi auto? are there more 870s out there or specific trap guns?

Our school has 10 kids on the team. 2 shoot 20’s the rest 12’s. There are no pumps, 3 o/U’s and the rest are autos. One of the kids had a perfect round yesterday with his grandpa’s old Browning A-5.

CaptainMusky

Our school has 10 kids on the team. 2 shoot 20’s the rest 12’s. There are no pumps, 3 o/U’s and the rest are autos. One of the kids had a perfect round yesterday with his grandpa’s old Browning A-5.

That’s a pretty small team. I think there’s 50 on my son’s team. I know some of the area schools had to limit numbers because there was a hard time getting ammo.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m sure it varies quite a bit but are kids using 12s or 20s more? pump, double barrel or semi auto? are there more 870s out there or specific trap guns?

Autoloaders are far and away the most common for the kids at our school. Pump guns are rare, maybe a couple of kids out of 60. Next most common are the kids shooting sporting clays style o/u guns. More of these than pump guns. Then there are the dedicated trap guns, which are more common than I’d have thought and there are more kids shooting these than pump guns as well.

12 gauges are by far the most common, but among the middle school kids it’s a 50-50 split of 12 and 20 gauges.

Personally, I bought my son a gas-operated 20 gauge auto youth gun because of the fit and the recoil reduction. I was concerned that if the gun beat him up too much when he started it would sour him on the whole deal, so better to start off easy with light recoil and then we’ll move him up fron there. The most important thing to me is that he has fun and wants to shoot more.

snelson223
    Austin MN

A lot of times the 20ga will have more recoil than a 12ga. We try to get the kids shooting 12ga right away. 12ga with light loads out of an auto almost no recoil.

I wish more teams would get the kids shooting the other events besides trap. They can shoot skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

My son shot trap and loved it! This picture is from the State Meet his Junior year in 2019. He was so looking forward to his Senior year, and COVID took it completely out of the picture. I felt so bad for him, because he was making incredible strides. He shot a 96/100 shooting 50 straight in his 2nd and 3rd rounds.

And…He always shot Dad’s old Remington 870 PUMP!

Attachments:
    1. Aaron-Trap.jpg

CaptainMusky

Good job by your son! Yeah, the last couple years robbed kids of so much. Good to see things returning to more normal.

CaptainMusky

Today my son is shooting at state. Not going well with the wind. Everyone is having a hard time with it. Highest score I’ve seen posted so far was a couple 47s with 50 more to shoot. Normally there are dozens of kids in that range.

big_g
    Isle, MN

My Cousins sons team, South St Paul, took the honors at State in 3A. :waytogo: :bow:

CaptainMusky

My Cousins sons team, South St Paul, took the honors at State in 3A. waytogo bow

Nice! I heard some great scores from yesterday. Today, not so much.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Bummer about the wind yesterday.

My son is shooting in 7A on Sunday. It’s going to be hotter than a snake’s ass in a wagon rut.

Anyone else going to be there on sunday?

CaptainMusky

Bummer about the wind yesterday.

There were only 10 kids who broke 90. Normally there would likely be 50. It was a bad day for all, but a couple kids from Roseau had it figured out since they were 94 and 95. I wasnt able to go due to work, but my wife said you wouldnt believe what those targets were doing. Sunday is going to be horrible with the heat. It makes for a long day. My sons team did finish 7th for Varsity. Considering only 4 kids hit the 80’s (highest was 86) that should tell you something LOL. Normally they are all mid 40’s/50

deertracker

My Cousins sons team, South St Paul, took the honors at State in 3A. waytogo bow

My high school buddy is the coach. They have done well.
    DT

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

My high school buddy is the coach. They have done well.
    DT

My cousin helps out with the team too. He is pretty pumped !!!

CaptainMusky

My cousin helps out with the team too. He is pretty pumped !!!

Yeah that is something to be really proud of. Its amazing how the sport has taken off! There was one girl on my son’s team who never shot before last year. She would average single digits per 25. This year she finished in 4th place at the state meet and has shot 50/50 multiple times! That is dang impressive.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Arrived in Alex and Grouselet 1.0 shot practice rounds of 22 and 22 which ties his PB. Winds 22 gusting to 34. Same conditions tomorrow.

Nice setup at the shooting park.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Recap from a very hot and windy Sunday at the state meet.

My son’s school took 7th overall in 7A which I believe ties our best finish. We had one overall winner, our Novice Girls top gun took first place! What a round she had.

My son tied for 177 overall with 17/19/17/19 for a 72. Not his best shooting, but not sure many did their best shooting in those conditions. Tough conditions for his first big meet, we had a fast quartering tailwind of 20 gusting to 30 all day from 830 onwards. The high temp was 96. Yikes!

Great time and great to see all the kids out there and enjoying themselves.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.