Thinking about a small camper

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’ve been thinkin’ of getting a small camper to use for general vacation, but another big reason would be for bird hunting trips. It’s usually just me and the dog, so thinking of going for something smaller. There are some neat teardrop ones out there. I was also wondering if towing later in the year would be a problem (rusting out). Not looking to pull it through a blizzard, but if I took it out after there was some salt on the roads. Thanks for entertaining my daydream.

P.S. I’m not even sure if any campgrounds are open past October?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Look into Scamp. They are made up by Hackensack. I think they are a fiberglass shell but a phone call would confirm that.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

most campgrounds close the second or third weekend of October

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Walmarts are damn near everywhere. You can always find a place to park it.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Don’t want to crush your dream, so hear me out. Pulling a camper in the winter sucks… Salt will destroy the frame in a few years time. A camper in the with an enclosed bottom will be necessary to have in the cold if you want the water to work (not freeze lines) and that enclosure allows the salt dust in, but makes it near impossible to wash it off. The solution I have found much cheeper than a camper and just as if not more comfortable. A 10×14 Kodiak canvas tent, an XL cot, twin air mattress and a good sleeping bag. Fold up table on the other side to eat at and I have a small tv. There are several campground that leave the electricity on.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I forgot… an oil bath heater keeps the tent plenty warm. The canvas hold the heat well. I even have a Portable AC for mine and am not afraid to camp at any time year round. All my stuff stays loaded in totes in the back of the truck under the topper unless it is ice fishing time. I can have the tent up and camp set up in about 45 minutes.

Angler II

Aluminum framed enclosed trailer, $100 cot and buddy heater. Won’t rust, can haul a wheeler in it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If you like to ice fish why not a small wheel house. Easier to justify cost for year around use. Yes the frames can rust and it can be a bitch to pull if slippery but whatever, it’s better than staying home. They also have brands with aluminum frames.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

The solution I have found much cheeper than a camper and just as if not more comfortable. A 10×14 Kodiak canvas tent, an XL cot, twin air mattress and a good sleeping bag. Fold up table on the other side to eat at and I have a small tv. There are several campground that leave the electricity on.

just purchased a 10×12 wall tent, wood stove, and bunk bed cot system to serve as my basecamp for hunting season and extended camping trips in cold weather. Looking forward to using this setup.

My only concern is when it rains ill need to find a way to dry out the tent when i get home. I dont have that large of a garage or basement so could be a pain to figure out but other than that i think it will be fun and comfortable

Deuces

Don’t see why one couldn’t spray the frame if one was that concerned, there are construction trailers all around that are rusty but it doesn’t make them not functional. I think this growing thought of keeping your crap in meticulous condition whether it be trucks, boats, trailers, etc is pushing the balance of functionality vs fashion to the fashion side and it makes me sad. When I buy an item I consider that money spent and whatever item it is, is going to get used mostly regardless of the potentially dangerous stuff that is going to happen to it. And tell ya what, whatever rust, dings or scrapes that have happened certainly has been paid for 10x with the memories.

Just my 2 cents. My small camper I bought this spring opened up a whole nother level of enjoyment to the outdoors I wish I would’ve found years ago. I say do it immediately, well maybe wait until after labor day when people start wanting to get rid of stuff they haven’t used all summer

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Don’t see why one couldn’t spray the frame if one was that concerned, there are construction trailers all around that are rusty but it doesn’t make them not functional. I think this growing thought of keeping your crap in meticulous condition whether it be trucks, boats, trailers, etc is pushing the balance of functionality vs fashion to the fashion side and it makes me sad. When I buy an item I consider that money spent and whatever item it is, is going to get used mostly regardless of the potentially dangerous stuff that is going to happen to it. And tell ya what, whatever rust, dings or scrapes that have happened certainly has been paid for 10x with the memories.

Just my 2 cents. My small camper I bought this spring opened up a whole nother level of enjoyment to the outdoors I wish I would’ve found years ago. I say do it immediately, well maybe wait until after labor day when people start wanting to get rid of stuff they haven’t used all summer

well said!!! waytogo waytogo

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

100% agree… I buy my stuff to use it as well… I have said several times, after owning a few campers and having troubles with them IF I ever own another camper that is not set at a permanent spot and will get towed, I will build it from an enclosed trailer. Actually thinking that may happen with my current enclosed trailer when I get a larger one for my goose spread. Gut it, insulate it and build out a simple camper that I can stay warm/cool, and dry in.

buck-slayer

After a couple of weekends in a small camper you will want a bigger one.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbg1219 wrote:</div>
    The solution I have found much cheeper than a camper and just as if not more comfortable. A 10×14 Kodiak canvas tent, an XL cot, twin air mattress and a good sleeping bag. Fold up table on the other side to eat at and I have a small tv. There are several campground that leave the electricity on.

just purchased a 10×12 wall tent, wood stove, and bunk bed cot system to serve as my basecamp for hunting season and extended camping trips in cold weather. Looking forward to using this setup.

My only concern is when it rains ill need to find a way to dry out the tent when i get home. I dont have that large of a garage or basement so could be a pain to figure out but other than that i think it will be fun and comfortable

Set it up in the yard… eventually the weather will turn to a nice day. A squirrel cage fan or even a leaf blower set up to dry it out quickly is good too. Zip the tent closed around the spout of the leaf blower and the tent will inflate, you don’t even need to put the poles in it. If it is below freezing and the tent is freezing up put and electric heater inside and thaw it out in the yard. It will dry fast.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Set it up in the yard… eventually the weather will turn to a nice day. A squirrel cage fan or even a leaf blower set up to dry it out quickly is good too. Zip the tent closed around the spout of the leaf blower and the tent will inflate, you don’t even need to put the poles in it. If it is below freezing and the tent is freezing up put and electric heater inside and thaw it out in the yard. It will dry fast.

thanks for the tips waytogo

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

After a couple of weekends in a small camper you will want a bigger one.

If you’re spending the weekend IN the camper, you’re doing something wrong. To me the camper is a place to stay warm and dry while I get a good night’s sleep. The reason I’m in a camper isn’t to replicate my living room at home. I’m camping to get outdoors.

Totally agree. I don’t buy outdoor gear because my hobby is sitting in my driveway buffing and waxing the underside of my trailers. If all my stuff looks used…well…I thought that was the damned point.

404 ERROR
    MN

If you like to ice fish why not a small wheel house. Easier to justify cost for year around use. Yes the frames can rust and it can be a bitch to pull if slippery but whatever, it’s better than staying home. They also have brands with aluminum frames.

This. Even if you aren’t big into ice fishing, it’s the way to go. I’ve had a 6.5×12′ Yetti for over 10 years now and I’ve been using it less and less in the winter but continue to use it all fall for Waterfowl trips. It’s a toyhauler so I can fit a single 14′ canoe or multiple sub-12′ Kayaks inside. It’s the perfect waterfowl basecamp. If it’s crazy hot in the early season, my generator will power my portable AC unit which vents through a modified catchcover.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Pick up camper? If you have a pickup that is.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbg1219 wrote:</div>

I’ve got a Jumping Jack trailer, the 6×8 model which turns into an 8×12 canvas tent you can walk around in. You’re off the ground and you can have it set up in about 5-10min max. What I really like about it is that I can put my Ranger on top of it, unload the ranger, hook the trailer to the Ranger and really go wherever you want. Far more tent than camper but we just sleep in it or play cards if it’s raining. I don’t have many good pictures but you can google it – they’re kind of unique.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0202-scaled.jpg

2. IMG_0286-1.jpg

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.