Theory/ personal opinion why and what fish bite

• Spoon Minnow

You know it!

Interesting though you’ve never posted on lures used or tell us of your past or present successes on the water using various presentations. Simplistic sarcastic replies don’t count.
    Inquiring minds want to know….

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

How do we feel about corn then, why such a reaction when my children are getting your same results but using a single kernel of corn

dirtywater

You know it!

Interesting though you’ve never posted on lures used or tell us of your past or present successes on the water using various presentations. Simplistic sarcastic replies don’t count.
    Inquiring minds want to know….

I’m a big fan of hot dogs for all species. But they gotta match the hatch and truly show fish what they’re looking for. That’s why I carry several different dyes and scents in my boat, because you never know when the dinky panfish are gonna be hungry for little chunks of purple grass-fed organic kosher all beef hot dogs that smell like Cheeto dust. That’s what separates me from the average DIY tackle makers like yourself. It’s the little things.

Spoon Minnow

But they gotta match the hatch and truly show fish what they’re looking for. That’s why I carry several different dyes and scents in my boat, because you never know when the dinky panfish are gonna be hungry

Words in bold say it all! Good luck catch’n those “dinky panfish”. Superstition and assuming things are true is a wonderful thing until it bites you in the – well – you know.
    On many forums, my past posts have received positive comments and appreciation of the concepts presented. Not worth posting links to them here.

That’s what separates me from the average DIY tackle makers like yourself. It’s the little things.

Very true – but I wouldn’t brag about it.

Brief enough a reply for ya?

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Why do fish bite or not bite ? Because they can ! LOL

isu22andy

How do we feel about corn then, why such a reaction when my children are getting your same results but using a single kernel of corn

Why do fish bite corn ? Ive always wondered that. Have literally caught chubs, blue gills, crappies, catfish , crappies, carp all on corn.

Spoon Minnow

Fish have a sense about lures and other baits. Your example proves that.
    Fish in my pond go nuts for bits of bread. Where does it say in the book of nature that sunfish love plant starch for Chrisesake!
    Or that my dogs love carrots and fresh tomatoes for that matter.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Fish have a sense about lures and other baits. Your example proves that.
    Fish in my pond go nuts for bits of bread. Where does it say in the book of nature that sunfish love plant starch for Chrisesake!
    Or that my dogs love carrots and fresh tomatoes for that matter.

My dog can pick out and avoid a tomato from a mile away. But she does love carrots.

CaptainMusky

My dog plucks raspberries off the vine and only the ripe ones.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My dog plucks raspberries off the vine and only the ripe ones.

My dog once stole a subway sandwich from me and scarfed it down while I was in the bath room. Only thing left was 4 tomatoes laying on the floor liked she had nicely picked them off. That was about 8 years ago. I also chuck her a cherry tomato when I’m buy the garden and she will run away from it barking

Spoon Minnow

My dog once stole a subway sandwich from me and scarfed it down while I was in the bath room. Only thing left was 4 tomatoes laying on the floor liked she had nicely picked them off.

Sneaky little bast..d.

Riverrat

Soap as bait still works if you can find an unscented natural soap.

Spoon Minnow

Never heard of a fish that eats soap! How would you even keep it on the hook?

Riverrat

Catfish will go after the fattier soaps, with all the funky new age soaps there are probably a lot better options than the Irish Spring we used as kids. Mini Marshmallows. Why wont fish eat the fruit flavored ones, I mean c’mon they are flavored.

R Petersen

They bite because they are getting hungry. Live bait / small minnows will always get hit. When lures are rejected constantly.

tim hurley

Have seen artificials out fish live many times, and have seen it go the other way too. Under a bobber I usually like live, thats not an absolute either-have also caught fish with fat bellies and spewing up minnows, pretty sure they were not hungry. Only absolute is their are no absolutes.

Spoon Minnow

I’m with you Spoony Min, don’t let these guys get to you, they are noted layman’s.

When I’m choosing the lure I will use for the day, I think not what the lure can do for me, but what I can do for the lure. The lightest flicker of my pinkie on my rod sends almost imperceptible vibrations through the rod, down the line and into the bait. These vibrations sexually stimulate the lateral line of most fish, making them ‘react’. These reactions go beyond being hungry, these are raw, unfiltered, unconscious, moist reactions.

Before all that happens though, it’s necessary to ruminate on the virtues of said bait. I’m not talking about how many fish it will catch(at least 5X a limit every time out), but what the lure represents to the local biome. One could argue that such a bait is meaningless, a grain of sand on the vast beaches of Mars, but I must disagree. This bait will fill a glaring gap in this natural ‘economy’. A grain of sand it may be, but while a grain of sand is minuscule and meaningless to a human, it is Mount Everest to a microorganism.

I digress, my thoughts and musings are often lost on this crowd, so toll not in the inadequacy of these responses, such a thought process and mind as we share is a heavy burden to carry in today’s world.

Always love rereading Phil’s reply! Apart from the R rated sentences, he figured out long ago that action speaks loudest when it comes to lures. Action, again, is dependent on shape and size. A kernel of corn is undoubtedly a bait that can be counted on for the above reasons as well as these two modifications:

A pickerel bit off the tail of a curl tail grub right at the boat. I figured: why not try casting the body minus the action tail?
    The action/profile caught over 2 dozen fish that afternoon which included bass, and has done well since that day. Kind a reminds me of a mini-Ned rig:
    Ned rig – how to fish it

Another surprise was seeing how much better a Sassy Shad did with the belly cut off to make the lure slimmer which changed the action.

The above 2 examples of lure profile/action changes, didn’t include different retrieves that made them move better than the originals.
    The corn kernel example said it all!

(What else is there to do on New Year’s Eve when fishing is out until the lakes freeze over? With the air temperature near 50, we’ve had over 5″ of rain in the last 3 weeks making ice fishing less likely any time soon in N.Y.)

Viewing 19 posts - 61 through 79 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.