Theory/ personal opinion why and what fish bite

• Spoon Minnow

My premise of lure choice is biology-based only on the capability of fish senses,

not

intelligence and therefore I believe a fish does not know what a lure represents. I believe fish instinctively know a real prey animal when it sees it, but when it comes to lures, I choose those that stimulate a fish’s lateral line and that visually provokes the strike without any though process whatsoever.

*(the phrase artificial lure is not really accurate because it would indicate an artificial that is artificial)

Others who insist fish attack a lure based on being fooled into believing it is a prey animal may for all I know be right, but even those who match prevailing prey still choose lures based on lure characteristics they deem necessary and superior among lures of the same type. Color, size, shape, action, vibration/ noise, bill size, line size, etc. are key to whatever makes fish strike lures – hunger/feeding not always or even usually being the case. Most fish for all we know may just be hanging out, suspending, until something comes along.

We all experiment with lures at one time or other, searching for that perfect lure that always catches fish under certain conditions. Something that works at one time or other ( hopefully more often than not), is added to the tackle box. If we see a pink polk-a-doted grub catch fish after fish, outing after outing, we use it and are convinced because the lure proved itself.

Speculating on why a lure worked is beneficial so we may further test similar characteristics in other lures of the same or maybe even of a different design. None of this has anything necessarily to do with a prey species but still comes down to being fish sense-related. As as example of a lure breakdown as why it worked, the pink spotted lure possessed a bright color that is visual in clear or dingy water and in low light.The tail or body action stimulated the lateral line and got notices visually.

Regardless the premise of why we choose lure x, y, or z, the testing of any lure and using it day after day proves its value based on the lure’s characteristics that

provoke

a strike.
    Here are a few we take for granted:
    color (dark, light or in between; fluorescent)
    lure action (very little or high action)
    flash (bright strobe-like)
    vibration (unnatural)
    shape (not usually realistic)

The combination of any of the above along with presentation, allow lures to catch fish as the designer intended. As you can see in the photo of the perch caught on a the grub, the grub has no tail. What makes the lure work so well (this one caught over 30 fish the day it was first used) I speculate was the waddle-of-the body with light pauses in the retrieve. It was a accidental hand-pour, but after looking at it laying there, I thought why not give it a try. The hand pours below it were based on that design as well as others.

If you compare pan fish lures sold, you might notice similarities in design such as the super thin tail and elongated body. Many soft plastic designs in many colors will catch almost all species of fish; the lures illustrated have caught 6 species in one day.

So when choosing lures, think lure characteristics vs what a lure might represent to a fish and note how well the lure works and then transfer those characteristics to other lures you might want to try.

Attachments:
    1. grub-holder-in-position.jpg

2. stubbie-grub.jpg

3. core-shot-and-clear-plastic.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Well that is a deep post for one of your 1st. I think fish bite Baits for many reasons. I do believe that they eat some lures because they were fooled into thinking it was something they normally eat. But that is just one of the many reasons they bite a bait.

tim hurley

Be careful when you try to figure out why anything does anything

‘It aint why, it just is”-van morrison

Iowaboy1

I dont know if you are thinking too hard on this,or you are trying to impress upon us your intelligence on your first post?
    I also wonder if you are that guy who I seen fixing the squeaking wheel on the cart at the grocery store the other day,lol.

good insight from you though,me personally I think fish strike because it is in their nature to do so for what ever reason that popped into their head at that second in time.

Spoon Minnow

Not really impressed with the replies so I guess I’ll take my ideas elsewhere. (Kind a reminds of another site where new concepts are beyond consideration or thought by a minority – especially ideas concerning lure choice and presentations they can not relate to.)

Use what works for you and good luck.

Thanks for reading.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

(Kind a reminds of another site where new concepts

Not sure who those other sites are, but lack of responses on this particular one would be that there really wasn’t anything to comment on that hasn’t already been commented on 1000x already. In posts that took MUCH less then 5 min of reading.

New concepts?? I never got into philosophy all that much BC the few books I’ve read on it made it seem the authors enjoyed to write entire paragraphs on matters that could have easily been summed up in a sentence or two. No different than your entire post.

Good luck seeking intellectual talk out there on the WWW, on fish. My apologies if this comes off harshly. Don’t like arrogance that much, and know if you were to take that essay of yours, boil it down to maybe 3-4senteces your responses here would blow any other sites out the water.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Not really impressed with the replies so I guess I’ll take my ideas elsewhere. (Kind a reminds of another site where new concepts are beyond consideration or thought by a minority – especially ideas concerning lure choice and presentations they can not relate to.)

Thanks for reading.

Frankly Frank I’m not all that impressed by your rambling on. Clearly your intelligence is way beyond any ones comprehension here. roll

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Frank Manuele wrote:</div>

Thanks for reading.

Frankly Frank I’m not all that impressed by your rambling on. Clearly your intelligence is way beyond any ones comprehension here.

Good call. This was what he was told at the other couple sites he mentioned.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Sometimes it’s not about what you say, it’s about how many words you can use to say it.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m thinking J.D.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Not JD.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Why and what fish bite?
    Why=natural instinct to survive. Hungry

What = anything in the ecosystem within their habitat that they can consume that requires the least amount of energy expended.

Being rude in opening posts to fellow IDO members that frequently contribute to a vast array of topics = asinine

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m still trying to figure out what he is saying. He didn’t even ask a question, so not sure what type of responses he was expecting.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

I’m still trying to figure out what he is saying. He didn’t even ask a question, so not sure what type of responses he was expecting.

I think he is saying he uses lures that stimulate the lateral line of fish. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_line

So basically if something catches their attention, will fit in their mouth and they are hungry enough they may try and eat it.

Or he’s saying Han Solo shot first.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m with you Spoony Min, don’t let these guys get to you, they are noted layman’s.

When I’m choosing the lure I will use for the day, I think not what the lure can do for me, but what I can do for the lure. The lightest flicker of my pinkie on my rod sends almost imperceptible vibrations through the rod, down the line and into the bait. These vibrations sexually stimulate the lateral line of most fish, making them ‘react’. These reactions go beyond being hungry, these are raw, unfiltered, unconscious, moist reactions.

Before all that happens though, it’s necessary to ruminate on the virtues of said bait. I’m not talking about how many fish it will catch(at least 5X a limit every time out), but what the lure represents to the local biome. One could argue that such a bait is meaningless, a grain of sand on the vast beaches of Mars, but I must disagree. This bait will fill a glaring gap in this natural ‘economy’. A grain of sand it may be, but while a grain of sand is minuscule and meaningless to a human, it is Mount Everest to a microorganism.

This bait or ‘lure’ in question IS real. To be completely forthright, I don’t like the word lure. Acknowledging that this object is being used to ‘trick’ a fish into biting is giving the fish the upper hand psychologically from the beginning. It is essential to believe that you are NOT fooling the fish, much to the contrary. You are providing exactly what the fish wants and needs, there are no tricks or cunning deceptions, this is life and this is a necessity of survival to the fish, nothing more or less.

I digress, my thoughts and musings are often lost on this crowd, so toll not in the inadequacy of these responses, such a thought process and mind as we share is a heavy burden to carry in today’s world.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

What a line of Carp!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

What a line of Carp!

X2.

That much self-enlightenment is usually reserved for politicians.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’m with you Spoony Min, don’t let these guys get to you, they are noted layman’s.

When I’m choosing the lure I will use for the day, I think not what the lure can do for me, but what I can do for the lure. The lightest flicker of my pinkie on my rod sends almost imperceptible vibrations through the rod, down the line and into the bait. These vibrations sexually stimulate the lateral line of most fish, making them ‘react’. These reactions go beyond being hungry, these are raw, unfiltered, unconscious, moist reactions.

Before all that happens though, it’s necessary to ruminate on the virtues of said bait. I’m not talking about how many fish it will catch(at least 5X a limit every time out), but what the lure represents to the local biome. One could argue that such a bait is meaningless, a grain of sand on the vast beaches of Mars, but I must disagree. This bait will fill a glaring gap in this natural ‘economy’. A grain of sand it may be, but while a grain of sand is minuscule and meaningless to a human, it is Mount Everest to a microorganism.

This bait or ‘lure’ in question IS real. To be completely forthright, I don’t like the word lure. Acknowledging that this object is being used to ‘trick’ a fish into biting is giving the fish the upper hand psychologically from the beginning. It is essential to believe that you are NOT fooling the fish, much to the contrary. You are providing exactly what the fish wants and needs, there are no tricks or cunning deceptions, this is life and this is a necessity of survival to the fish, nothing more or less.

I digress, my thoughts and musings are often lost on this crowd, so toll not in the inadequacy of these responses, such a thought process and mind as we share is a heavy burden to carry in today’s world.

Lol Logan

@PhilTickelson

You lost me after you said “vibrations sexually stimulate”

What kind of “lures” are you NOT bringing with when you come fishing with me!?!?

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

Lol Logan

@PhilTickelson

You lost me after you said “vibrations sexually stimulate”

What kind of “lures” are you NOT bringing with when you come fishing with me!?!?

Are you sure you really want to know the answer to this? D

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Phil, I salute you bow bow

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Ok is this thread becoming a “Don’t ask,,,, Don’t tell?” blush
    Just Asking. mrgreen

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

When I’m choosing the lure I will use for the day, I think not what the lure can do for me, but what I can do for the lure.

These reactions go beyond being hungry, these are raw, unfiltered, unconscious, moist reactions.

giving the fish the upper hand psychologically from the beginning.

such a thought process and mind as we share is a heavy burden to carry in today’s world.

Starting IDOs 2016 best lines thread rotflol

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

@Philtickelson that may have been the most creative, well thought out and hilarious post I have ever read on IDO.

Personally, I think fish strike because they are dumb.

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

@Philtickelson that may have been the most creative, well thought out and hilarious post I have ever read on IDO.

Personally, I think fish strike because they are dumb.

Ok then. neutral

Iowaboy1

What a line of Carp!

spell check isnt working again!!! mrgreen
    thats funny,dont care who you are jester

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Why does a bass bite my bobber and not my grubby jig under it? I never figure that out. They wanted to play bobber ball I guess.

lundojam

I think most competent anglers do what the OP suggests: think action, color, speed, etc, and not imitation. Nobody thinks walleyes eat crawler harnesses because they “look like” anything.
    And I agree, being super-intellectual is a real burden. ;)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.