Attachments:
    1. 20150922_183451.jpg

2. 20150922_182841.jpg

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I want to see the timed video 😉😎🎣

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’ll see if I can put one together. Seriously it wasn’t much more than 60 seconds,and could have been a sub-minute set up.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Congrats eelpout! I’m thinking you may have to camp overnight in the backyard tonight. )

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

The design looks the same as an Eskimo. Makes me wonder if they are rebranded.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

The design looks the same as an Eskimo. Makes me wonder if they are rebranded.

All hub styles look a bit similar in general appearance, but this one really is a complete re-engineer of what’s been out on the market for awhile.

The fabric is insulated 600 denier Thermal Tec, windows are the same indestructible TPU you find in our flip-over shelters (and BMW convertible windows), and even the carry bag has been upgraded with a semi-rigid poly shell for easier loading/unloading.

Joel

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I want one of these. applause

steuben1
    Indiana

Can someone tell me what the fascination is with these hubs? Why would someone want one of these? I just don’t know how they are used. Do you have to sit right down on the fish? Aren’t they a pain to set up and anchor? I fish out of a Lodge so I am not familiar with why people like them so much?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

They come in a small package I could put the Resort hub in the back seat of a car, light weight, seconds to set up and take down. “Do you have to sit right down on the fish?” I guess so, if you want to catch em.

Steve Thompson

Why would someone want one of these?

I think the same question can be asked of Ice Castles, one-man, flip-overs or just fishing in the open. Why? It depends upon what type or style of fishing you prefer or what your goal for fishing is. While I spend a majority of my time in the open or fishing out of my Otter XT Pro Cabin, I run into a few times each season where it would be nice to have something like a Hub when I may have a larger group.

While the initial setup is quick and easy, the time involved in anchoring the shelter, taking down and packing can be time consuming, you probably won’t want to break it down more than once or twice a day fishing.

I have a couple of time each season that I take my family of 4 out for a sundown crappie bite or maybe over a weedline full of gills. The Otter XTH Resort will allow me to get all four of us in one shelter on our bitterly cold night or days and work a concentrated bite. OK well, they will fish and I’ll spend my time unhooking, baiting and doing everything else a father is expected to do. I also have a few trips guiding that the Resort Hub will come in handy when we get over a good school of perch.

The important thing is to find a setup or system that works for your style of fishing, and just get out and fish. Nothing is better than enjoying time in the outdoors with those close to you.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Very well said Steve. I just saw these firsthand and they are pretty awesome. They are a little tedious for a guy like me to setup and I prefer my Cabin flipover. That said, they are a great house for lakes when you just plop down for the day or want to use it as a base camp of sorts while fishing the area around it.

Crappy Fisherman

I just won a Lodge Hub at the Thorne Brothers ice show. It’s a very nice hub. I’m not a hub guy so it’s going up for sale. They list for $349.00, in the box unopened best offer.
    95x95x76 set up 41 lbs.

steuben1
    Indiana

Thanks for the answer Steve, I understand now. I just don’t see them much over here and wasn’t familiar with the application.

Thanks again

Al Case

Personal message sent, Daniel.

Steve Thompson

Thanks for the answer Steve, I understand now. I just don’t see them much over here and wasn’t familiar with the application.

Your welcome steuben. In South Dakota, you will see more flip-over’s than you do Hubs or Ice Castle, although it seems their population is growing. I also forgot to mention that Hub’s can be much more affordable for newcomers or for those that may only ice fish 1 or 2 times a winter. Hope that all helps.

Now, if only the water would get hard ;)

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

Did the shelter come with anchors and the bit to install them?

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Why would someone want one of these?

Similar to Steve, I have a flip over I use for running and gunning like you would on Mille Lacs. There are time when you can plant down to catch fish consistantly for a better part of the day like on LOW or URL. This is where the hub style comes in. Two of us fish comfortably on lawn chairs and can stand up, move around some and less likely to tip something over or kick something down the hole.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Steve really hit the nail on the head. Here’s how I viewed it.

One of my biggest challenges is what do I drive to work but still be able to fish. What’s the true cost of a flip over if you have to buy a pickup as opposed to small car?

Last time vehicle shopping I ruled out many choices due to needing the space to get a flip over in. The true cost of my flip over is well into the thousands of dollars when you factor in the Silverado vs Subaru that were the final two choices.

If you’re wondering I found a way to get my dad to buy half the Silverado and love my flip over. Rarely fish in big groups and need fast/easy ability to move spots.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Another situation is when you are fishing early and late in the year and you are running and gunning with kids. You can have 15 holes drilled and the wind picks up and the kids are cold. The can step in and warm up or fish till there warm. Works the same for tip-up fishing. There a great tool!

Hoyt4
    NULL

great points Steve. We used 3 of these last winter with no issues with running and gunning fish using the hubs. I still prefer my single flip over but with a couple guys the move gets down in no time depending on home many holes you setup and fishing.

We would move the house mark the holes one guy went with a drill bit to get the anchors stakes going while the other used the auger in the house. Banked and ready to go. This did not take much time at all and we would move a bunch during the day. We also used as home base for food and heaters and went out fishing around in the open or flip overs.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Did the shelter come with anchors and the bit to install them?

Just looked –
    Anchors and rope, No Bit. I guess I’ll be needing one of those.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Bringa drill and pick the correct bit sure makes putting in the anchors a lot easier on the hands. It can be done and works but sometimes can be a real b!!!! drill makes it quicker and not as much of a b!!!!. )

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

I didn’t find a bit for sale on the otter site, I wonder if another bit would work? Do the anchors look the same as others?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Steve T,
    What is the proper bit?

Chance R.
    South Central S.D.

If i had to guess i’d say a 1/4″ bit would work. Just something to get a pilot hole drilled so the anchor has something to follow, no idea why I never thought of this when I had a hub lol. needless to say i no longer have it, although these otter rigs make it very tempting to get another!!!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.