The mother of ALL stupid questions

• Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

I have been reading up on fishing techniques and watching the fishing shows and I’ve come up with a question that none of them have answered and when I google it I don’t get the answer I’m looking for either.

What dates are considered the 4 seasons of fishing. Al Lindner will say for spring time Walleye blah blah blah. Or I’ll read an article on Summer Bass fishing. What dates is this “spring time” walleye? May June July? Or is it more like water temp rather than dates? Spring Walleye 55 degrees… Summer bass 75 degrees?

I’m curious what methods other use to determine what season the fish are in as the spring, summer and fall months pass.

B-man

I would say spring fishing is in the spring.

Summer fishing is in the summer.

Fall fishing is in the fall.

And I guess winter fishing in the winter.

They all have defined dates smash

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190327-145231.png

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

This is for central MN lakes. Walleye fishing.

Winter= Ice up to walleye close, late Feb.
    Spring= Opener, early May to Late June
    Summer= July to Mid Sept
    Fall= Late Sept to Ice up

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

Is it that simple B-man? This time last year was officially spring and we still had snow. So would that still be spring even though the ice wasn’t out and we still had cold temps?

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

This is for central MN lakes. <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye fishing.

Summer= July to Mid Sept

So to follow B-man (nice attachment BTW) and you’re list, basically May 12th to June 21st is the spring season. Okay… Does anyone else use any different methods? There is a part of me that thinks Water Temp should be a factor too.

Also when is the fly hatch typically?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>
    This is for central MN lakes. <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye fishing.

Summer= July to Mid Sept

So to follow B-man (nice attachment BTW) and you’re list, basically May 12th to June 21st is the spring season. Okay… Does anyone else use any different methods? There is a part of me that thinks Water Temp should be a factor too.

Also when is the fly hatch typically?

Based off of your other posts I’m assuming you are referring to MilleLacs only? If so I think for a more accurate response you should list the lake in question. I posted as a general Central MN lakes guideline.

As much as I followed water temps the seasons for me seem to line up best with the dates I posted.

Winter= Ice up to walleye close, late Feb. <Minnows>

Spring= Opener, early May to Late June <Minnows until early June and then switch to leeches and crawlers, slow presentations>

Summer= July to Mid Sept <faster presentations, leeches and crawlers at .5-1mph, and start trolling cranks at 2-2.5mph>

Fall= Late Sept to Ice up <switch back to minnows also use crankbaits, slow down your speed as the water temps drop>

This is just a general list of what I do.

MilleLacs on the other hand you can use leeches and crankbaits all open water season…

B-man

Is it that simple B-man? This time last year was officially spring and we still had snow. So would that still be spring even though the ice wasn’t out and we still had cold temps?

Yes, the articles you are reading are referring to the actual seasons.

The water temp will vary by what latitude you’re at and the general weather pattern.

Summer pike fishing in Missouri could be in 85 degree water. Summer pike fishing in northern Ontario could be in 55 degree water.

Also keep in mind seasonal trends and tactics are “general” and not set in stone. They also transition into each other slowly.

It’s not like a walleye won’t hit a leech on June 19th, or crush a crankbait in early May.

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kevin Collins wrote:</div>

Yes, the articles you are reading are referring to the actual seasons.

The water temp will vary by what latitude you’re at and the general weather pattern.

Summer pike fishing in Missouri could be in 85 degree water. Summer <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike fishing in northern Ontario could be in 55 degree water.

Also keep in mind seasonal trends and tactics are “general” and not set in stone. They also transition into each other slowly.

It’s not like a walleye won’t hit a leech on June 19th, or crush a crankbait in early May.

Ha… fair enough… In other words I’m over thinking it.

Thanks guys.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Yep…it’s this simple.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

Yep…it’s this simple.

Not to be a wise guy. But I go off this method. But the method I usually use is go with what ever catches fish consistently. When it stop I try something different. I’ve been fishing metro lakes forever. You tube videos of guys smashing fish and huge fish constantly isnt accurate near us. More hunt and search. Then trial by fire

tim hurley

Some say fall starts when the water turns over-to me thats the start of winter. They really don’t exactly when the lake ices up but the turn over really changes their enviroment.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Last year we didn’t have a spring. Or rather, it was a only a week or two long because we had a historic April blizzard and record late ice outs…and then went directly to summer because it was 100 degrees by Memorial Day. Here’s hoping to an actual spring this time.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.