10mm vs Large bore wheel gun

• martin_vrieze
    Eagan

Quote:

I’ve needed to get down to that shop to see product samples for the last month. And I’m not sure when that is going to happen… it is just crazy busy here.

James, just send your sweetie over there and have her model them for cell phone pics. Have her email them to you from her cell and pick the hoodies that she looks best in.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

just send your sweetie over there

Tuck is kinda busy too.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

just send your sweetie over there

Tuck is kinda busy too.

As Tuck would say…….. ish

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

This is the first time I had a chance to read this post.

Bret, that shirt is a spring time fashion, not for fall!

Quote:

Geez James…..Delegate some of the duties to the hired hands.

How the ‘ell do you think we got to half way!??

Seriously, I need to give credit where credit is due. BK is great at taking jobs “half way.”

Ooooh yeah. Zinga!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks for the credit…

Now go see Bob Bowman and let him give you some credit!

This mob is going to get ugly if they don’t have thier Ido logo wear before Christmas!

bearhunter01
    Rosemount/Isle, MN

Quote:

Thanks for the credit…

Now go see Bob Bowman and let him give you some credit!

This mob is going to get ugly if they don’t have thier Ido logo wear before Christmas!

Wow, I think I opened up a new can of worms here. Sorry James.

redneck
    Rosemount

Oh come on Marie—you’re not sorry

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

remember if you are going to sell hoodies, you need to buy MOOSE sizes for little fellers like me.. 3x tall or 4 x tall if you are going to wash them a lot..

but being an IDO hoodie, it should never get washed.. just soaked in the river a couple of times a year, to get the fish guts off the front..

and I refer to the monogram shop in LaCrosse for a decent product.. but almost any monogram is LONG TERM quality as opposed to silk screen..

bearhunter01
    Rosemount/Isle, MN

Quote:

Oh come on Marie—you’re not sorry

I don’t know what you’re talking about

bowhuntmn

A little background as I think that always helps other chime in on my question.
    I’ve owned and shot quite a few different calibers, platforms, and manufacturers as far as handguns go. That being said, I do not have much experience with large revolvers. I have owned a 45LC and .357, but aside from that I don’t have much exposure. Recently, I’ve slimmed down drastically and purchased only 2 different calibers, with the same manufacturer. I purchased two Glocks, G20 and a G27, 10mm full size and .40SW subcompact, respectively. They make perfect sense for my applications. The G27 is my carry in the summer and “light” applications as far as camping in the midwest, and the 10mm for winter carry and out west.
    That brings me to my question, do you feel that the 10mm (with 15 round standard mag. and hot loads) is adequate for big game protection through CO, WY, MT, ID, and AK? I typically hunt in one of those places each year, and for me that means backcountry and places far removed from critical emergency care. Despite the ammo prices, I do shoot regularly and feel very comfortable with both weapons.
    Not that I’ve got my mind made up, but I’ve looked really closely at the “snub” nose .44, .454 type revolvers that will still carry somewhat comfortably with me wherever I hunt. At this point price is not really going to deter me, especially since most of these revolvers are in the same price range.
    I’ve done some research in regards to caliber comparisons, and I realize that a 10mm is quite different from the larger calibers, but that is why I am contemplating the change. I mostly shoot handloads, and known hot loads from Underwood, Bufallo Bore, Black Hills, and the like. Some of these loads are on par with .357, and nearing .41 mag from my understanding.
    What are your experiences with the platforms, different manufacturers, and calibers? This will solely be for self protection, whether at home or out west, and not much else. I do have plans on moving west, so I would like to be fully prepared when I get there!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

My only comment that is completely “unexperienced” as far as out west, AK. Go big or go home. I read every bear book I can get my hands on. I personally don’t think you can go big enough. Of course, the fatal mistake most make is not having a weapon.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Bow>
    I’ve owned and reloaded .357 & .44 mags for more years than I can remember.
    That being said, I had the chance to go to the range with a Ruger .454 Alaskan, and it was a joy, and a hand full. When the opportunity to go to the range to shoot the new .480 Alaskan, I was feeling very miserable, and didn’t go….a friend that did said if he were to go to Alaska to fish or hunt, this would be IT!!! Hornady has 325 & 400 gr XTP hollow points for it and very good ballistics, which you know you can look up on their web site. If I needed or just wanted bigger knock down power, I’d be hard pressed to not give the .480 a very serious look from what I’ve been told.
    Might search Cabela’s or any other companies ‘used’ handgun lists for one. Some ‘stud’ has probably had his mind changed by now
    good luck….

johnee

IMO there are too many variables involved to make any choice of calibers leap to the front in terms of “the” obvious choice.

The question about handguns as a back for dangerous game comes up quite a bit and the obvious answer of bigger=better misses the point: All handguns, even the biggest, are going to be sub-optimal when it comes to an unexpected conflict with dangerous game. As far as a handgun that is gaurenteed to stop a charging bear, well, there ain’t one! Surviving such an encounter is as much down to luck as to the choice of calibers. Where do you hit him and how many times is all that’s going to matter if a bear and a hunter collide in the thick willows.

Personally, given your situation, I’d feel as good with the 10 MM and hot handloads with good bullets as I’d feel with a large, slow big-bore revolver. If you can shoot it well, then pumping multiple rounds into a bear is going to cause that bear serious problems. Ultimately, the outcome wil be down to luck and there are plenty of cases where even bears shot with a rifle have gotten or very nearly gotten the better of a hunter, so there’s so such thing as a sure thing.

Grouse

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

The only advantage I see to a wheel gun is that there is nothing to think about. As long as it’s a double action model, it’s grab/point/shoot. I always think about that when comparing my response time with my 9mm vs. my Judge. The later takes away that one added mental step, which leads to a cleaner reaction. That’s my only thought on this. As for caliber, there’s multiple, capable choices so I guess it should come down to fit and your ability to shoot it. Good luck!

bowhuntmn

Thanks for the responses, it just gives me that much more insight.
    The reason for this gun would be a backup to my bow, since I mostly bowhunt for bear, deer, and elk. I’ve been out west with a rifle, and haven’t thought twice about “backup” to my rifle. There is just something about being in big country with stick and string, and not having a backup in case SHTF.
    As someone suggested, the .480 Ruger is certainly a viable option, but I’ve found very few locally, and the ammo prices are twice as scary as that of a .44 or .454.
    I think that I really need to find a way to get my hands on one of these guns at the range and see how they feel.
    I still dig having twice the capacity with the Glock, but if I need 15 rounds to take care of business (which certainly could happen) then I need to get my eyes checked!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.