Savage Axis .223

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

The trigger pull is harder than I’m used to but for $294.00, scope included, I couldn’t be happier with the way this thing shoots! It’s got a lousy hiccup in the bolt throw but if you slam it up it goes okay. However, you may never need to throw the bolt because I can’t believe how accurate the thing is! I only used some military (WPA) loads (55gr FMJ) and some Hornady 55gr SP’s for comparison but it grouped both brands, all 3 shots of each, “inside the dime” @100yds!!! Not brushing the edge or even making contact with the edge! INSIDE the dime! That’s sub-MOA shooting! If all their calibers shoot like this, I just might get a couple more! Never been a Savage fan or owner…… but I’m sure tickled by this one! If anyone is looking for an inexpensive, reliable rifle, I think these just might be the best offer around!

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

I have one but I have not took it out of the box yet. I have heard from others also that they are very accurate. I wish it had the accu-trigger.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

We have another IDO member who is working on a product review of this rifle. I can’t wait to see what he comes up with.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

What is everyones opinion of the savage axis vs the remington 770 in .243 caliber? Looking at an inexpensive first varmint rifle that may or may not see alot of use.

kooty
    Keymaster

Here is a great review.

Axis Review

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

rgio812…. I can’t truly state how the 770 compares because I refuse to buy one! I’ve heard that the shootability of them is okay….. trigger pull and accuracy…. but I just can’t bring myself to carry something so sloppy! Gunsmiths have failed to improve the bolt slide, I think they’re a little heavier to carry, I don’t like the “Remington” scopes they come with, and I’ve actually seen a potential buyer break the magazine while putting it back into place! No one should have to “delicately” place a clip into the stock. I’m not saying you should “slam it home”, but a firm pop should be okay. Compared to the Axis, the Mossberg ATR’s, and now, the new Ruger American, I think the 770’s really have to get better if they’re going to continue as a viable choice from Remington.

Just my two cents……

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Let the varmints beware!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have heard and seen nothing but good things about Savage. My friend has a .308 and a brand new .17 Both of which shoot incredible. Guess I better get off my but and get a savage .17 bolt!

kooty
    Keymaster

I’m going to be picking up a 25.06 very soon. I need an all around caliber that I can hunt anything from prairie dogs to deer with. I’ve been talking with Jay who did the product review and he has noting but positive things to say about this rifle.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I have a savage bolt action .17 with a nikon monarch 4-16 by 40 and it is has less than half inch groups at 100 yards off bags. And the accu trigger is awesome.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

John, when considering Prairie Dogs, wouldn’t a .25-06 get a bit stiff in the ammo costs? Granted, it’s none of my business….. I’m just guy that’ll lend to any justification that leads to buying another rifle!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve heard that Stevens, made by Savage, are also good shooters. I don’t know if you’re looking to buy soon but if you go to http://www.armslist.com and search “Stevens 25-06”, you’ll see an add from a guy in Rochester, MN that’s selling his, along with two boxes of ammo for just $275.00. Go get it big guy!

kooty
    Keymaster

I’m looking for an all around caliber that I can shoot pretty much everything smaller than elk with. Heck, I haven’t picked up a rifle in many years. I’m gonna get back in on the cheaper end and if my interest increases, I’ll upgrade as necessary.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

If one wants a low-price introductory rifle, this gun is it. However, for another $100 to $150, one can purchase the TC Venture or the Weatherby Vanguard 2, which both have better stocks and adjustable triggers.
    The accuracy from reviews appears to be equal to the Axis.
    To me, trigger performance is more than half the battle when it comes to accuracy.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I had Pro Staff obligations at Cabelas all weekend. These things were selling fast. Just got to check it out in the store, but I was surprised at what you got for the money. The Nikon scope in the package isn’t anything special, and there are a lot more options for getting some optic quality. But that aside, I thought the action was pretty good and liked how it engaged.
    For that price point a guy has a lot of options for a first time build also. I sold a couple for these that were being used for a semi-custom build. Cost effective way to do it!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

If one wants a low-price introductory rifle, this gun is it. However, for another $100 to $150, one can purchase the TC Venture or the Weatherby Vanguard 2, which both have better stocks and adjustable triggers.
    The accuracy from reviews appears to be equal to the Axis.
    To me, trigger performance is more than half the battle when it comes to accuracy.

Because of the outstanding accuracy alone, I have no intentions of letting my Axis go. However, because of the bolt throw and the trigger, I’m reluctant to buy another. The cost of a Riflex trigger kit is right there at $100.00 and you still have what I feel is a “less than stellar” bolt throw. It slides okay but you have to slam it up to get past the binding point. For the same investment, I can get a TC Venture with a 60 degree bolt throw (like an A-bolt or Tikka T3) and adjustable trigger.

All the makes are guaranteeing 1″ MOA or less @100yds so I don’t feel like I’m risking much in the accuracy department. Find the right ammo load and a decent scope and done.

The Vanguards,….. seem really nice but the grip style of their stock seems…….”odd” in the way it feels when I hold them. If it weren’t for that, I’d have bought a Vanguard long ago. I realize that’s a “me” issue and shouldn’t take away from the quality of the rifle, but how can I recommend something that feels uncomfortable?

kooty
    Keymaster

I got a Cabelas sales flyer over the weekend that states a $249.99 price on the Axis black/matte finish. I can’t find anything online to confirm the start dates, but I seem to remember some where in the Aug 23rd range.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

I got a Cabelas sales flyer over the weekend that states a $249.99 price on the Axis black/matte finish. I can’t find anything online to confirm the start dates, but I seem to remember some where in the Aug 23rd range.

At that price, a guy should buy 4 of them!!!!!!
    223, 25-06, 7mm, 300Win Mag!!!!!!!!!!!

However, the triggers on the Ventures and Vanguard 2’s are really SEXY SMOOTH!!!!!!

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

goes to sept. 3rd I believe.

kooty
    Keymaster

Hey Kid,

What bipod is that? Is it easily removeable?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Yeah bud….. very simple to attach/detach. It’s the cheap Winchester bipod you see in WalMart for $39.99. It doesn’t pivot and only extends long enough for belly shots. I mounted mine for prairie dogs. However, I see Fleet Farm has a Champion model that’s long enough for sitting positions so I think I need one of those for coyotes. Also, I found mine on Ebay for $25.00 shipped. I’m always up for saving a few bucks!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.