Tearing Down Statues Across America

• Fish To Escape

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Fish To Escape wrote:</div>
    But the confederacy was………America’s enemy right?

The flag everyone is worked up about Isn’t a confederate flag per say, It was General Lee’s battle flag, the confederate flag was somewhat different.

And he flew that flag in battle against America right? Seems weird that it is still a thing

Beast

Yes he did, just trying to make sure the facts are right. We all were rebels at one time, just ask the British, that’s how we all started.

jwellsy

There is some entertainment value in watching liberals tear down statues of democrats. They would probably love to tear down all democrat statues trying to erase the truth of their history.

walleye216

Way I see it, there are those that really believe they are doing right thing, there are those if I don’t join in they will think I’m racist, those that tell others if you don’t join in your racist. and those who walk around butt hurt about everything and this is the latest bandwagon to jump on.
    Somewhere there gotta be a line drawn where enough is enough.

A lot posters in this thread seem to do a lot of this. Change is inevitable, either learn to except it or get left behind. The constant whining about everything is not the most productive strategy.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

pulling down artifacts isn’t extreme?

No, what is extreme is people owning other human being,s and being indifferent to the fact.

mike mulhern

Some of you on here need to read a little history Particularly about general Robert E Lee. What he was before the war and how he felt about the upcoming war between the states. He was tactically speaking the best General of the war. Had He sided with the North the war would have been over in less than a year. One needs to remember that this war was fought for states rights. Its a stretch but the same argument could be made for the Mary jane states are using now. I believe the statues honor the tenacity of the man and how he inspired the men he led.
    Mike

Fish To Escape

Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy, in what has since been called his “Cornerstone Speech”: “[Slavery] was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution.”

Mississippi Articles of Secession: “Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery — the greatest material interest of the world . . . There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.”

President Abraham Lincoln, in his second inaugural address: “All knew that [slavery] was somehow the cause of the war.”

People in charge at the time sure seemed to think it was a little bit about slavery

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

America hides from it’s dark history. Germany for example teaches their countries history, especially the holocaust.
    Ripping down statues doesn’t erase history.

Neal Keeling

I am all for protesting and freedom of speech, but when it infringes upon others freedom of movement (blocking roads and highways), destruction of property (looting and burning), and putting others at risk (no police or fire protection) it is illegal. The looting, burning, and destruction of public property has now overshadowed the tragic death of a human being and the struggle for equal rights and equal treatment.
    After the Russian Revolution statues of the Czars were torn down. After the “end of communism in Russia” statues of Lennon and Stalin were torn down. Sadam statues were removed from Iraq. All public tribute to Hitler and the Nazi party were removed and made illegal in Germany.
    As a history buff, I see the removal of statues as another page in history. Whether it is in our country or other. I do not like it, but that is what it is now. Where will it stop? Lincoln memorial? Mount Rushmore? The big walleye in Garrison?

“Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it”
    Winston Churchill 1948

Beast

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Beast wrote:</div>

No, what is extreme is people owning other human being,s and being indifferent to the fact.

Who’s indifferent, Or did you just decide to pull that one out of the air?

Welder guy

I wonder how some of you would feel about statues of Saddam, or Hitler or the guys who flew the planes in 911 being put up on US soil? I mean like the confederates they were enemies of our country with some extremely messed up idiologys and some seem to think its ok for them to be here. The confederacy lasted 5 years and they lost.

Beast

I wonder how some of you would feel about statues of Saddam, or Hitler or the guys who flew the planes in 911 being put up on US soil? I mean like the confederates they were enemies of our country with some extremely messed up idiologys and some seem to think its ok for them to be here. The confederacy lasted 5 years and they lost.

Who knows? someone down the line may want those statues put up because we some how wronged them.there’s allot of people that find a case for just about anything that can be turned into a touchy feel moment.

Beast

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Clay Reinert wrote:</div>

Who knows? someone down the line may want those statues put up because we some how wronged them.there’s allot of people that find a case for just about anything that can be turned into a touchy feel moment.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

This is the here and now Don. Nobody owns anybody. The damage being done is what, a payback for something someone 200 years ago did? We can’t turn back the clock and undo something. And all this rioting and looting has nothing to do with the cop that killed George. The statues coming down have nothing to do with George or anything current the indians think has offended them.

But owning people? This 2020. Nobody owns anyone. Nobody owes anyone because nobody today is responsible for what happened that set all this off other than those four cops.

Most of these statues are owned by governmental agencies. If people want them taken down, there is due process to get them down. Otherwise its an act of destruction of public, and often private, propert….to which there are legal consequences. Right now all that needs be done is to introduce those who have defaced municipal and state property to those consequences. If you think these statues being ripped down illegally are because someone owes someone you have a serious rectal cranial inversion problem that need attention.

jwellsy

Liberals want everyone to be a slave, except for the ruling class which they will not be part of. Dems have always been slavemasters. Now they are expanding who the slaves should be. Total submission without the Constitution is mandatory.

Gitchi Gummi

Liberals want everyone to be a slave, except for the ruling class which they will not be part of. Dems have always been slavemasters. Now they are expanding who the slaves should be. Total submission without the Constitution is mandatory.

I want some of whatever this guy is smoking

Edit – I see the mods must have edited this guys post

papaperch

What all of you have missed. The end of racism cannot be legislated away. No more than crime can be legistrated away. Racism has to be taught to be learned. Racism and crime will be with us until man disappears from the face of the earth.

The end of racism and economical equality is not the true aim of all the leftist activity. It is the downfall of the United States and its Constitution is the true asperation. All you have to do is read their boring manifestos. They aren’t being secret about it. Just like Hitler outlined his plan in Mein Kampf.

Now will those that can, do something to prevent it. Stay tuned.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Beast wrote:</div>

Who’s indifferent, Or did you just decide to pull that one out of the air?

Did you ever here the term White Privilege ! That’s what being indifferent is in my opinion . Those statues most which were erected in the 50,and 60,s represent indifference what was done to black people . They were put there by whites of the losing side . KKK money being used to create animosity toward people of color . I lived in the south and more than some are still fighting the war.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>

This is the here and now Don. Nobody owns anybody. The damage being done is what, a payback for something someone 200 years ago did? We can’t turn back the clock and undo something. And all this rioting and looting has nothing to do with the cop that killed George. The statues coming down have nothing to do with George or anything current the indians think has offended them.

But owning people? This 2020. Nobody owns anyone. Nobody owes anyone because nobody today is responsible for what happened that set all this off other than those four cops.

Most of these statues are owned by governmental agencies. If people want them taken down, there is due process to get them down. Otherwise its an act of destruction of public, and often private, propert….to which there are legal consequences. Right now all that needs be done is to introduce those who have defaced municipal and state property to those consequences. If you think these statues being ripped down illegally are because someone owes someone you have a serious rectal cranial inversion problem that need attention.

Who paid to have those statues erected ? It sure as heck was not The Union ! Your right about the process Tom but look and see where those statues are located ? Don’t see any Robert E Lee Statues in Duluth Mn do you? Your also right about “you can’t change history” that does not mean you forget it. Libraries and museums are the places to go to observe that. Think for a second why there are no statues of Hitler or Nazies in Germany ! It seems the Germans understand and we don,t ! The simple fact the Confederates were traitors they wanted to preserve a lifestyle of owning “human beings” Do i think people are tearing the statues down “because someone owes someone” Simple answer NO. They are tearing them down because of what they represent ! A daily reminder to anyone who walks past one of oppression that people of color endured during the darkest time in our nation’s history. That’s what people of color see when they walk past , what do white people see ?

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Don – what about Christopher Columbus in St Paul, MN? Are you OK with that getting torn down too? Where do you draw the line??

jwellsy

Don – what about Christopher Columbus in St Paul, MN? Are you OK with that getting torn down too? Where do you draw the line??

Or, where do you want to plant your goalpost today? Nothing will ever be good enough for liberation theology.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

At first it sounded like only winners were allowed statues but then I thought of all the Native American statues that exist and that theory was thrown out. My only conclusion is that Mary and Jesus are the only white earth walkers that are without sin so would be eligible for statues in Christian tolerated areas.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

He enslaved and mutilated native people
    When Columbus first set foot on Hispaniola, he encountered a population of native people called the Taino. A friendly group, they willingly traded jewelry, animals, and supplies with the sailors. “They were very well built, with very handsome bodies and very good faces,” Columbus wrote in his diary. “They do not carry arms or know them….They should be good servants.” The natives were soon forced into slavery, and punished with the loss of a limb or death if they did not collect enough gold (a portion of which Columbus was allowed to keep for himself). Between the European’s brutal treatment and their infectious diseases, within decades, the Taino population was decimated.

He was arrested by the Spanish Government
    In 1499, the Spanish monarchs got wind of the mistreatment of Spanish colonists in Hispaniola, including the flogging and executions without trial. Columbus, who was governor of the territory, was arrested, chained up, and brought back to Spain. Although some of the charges may have been manufactured by his political enemies, Columbus admitted to King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella that many of the accusations were true. Columbus was stripped of his title as governor. You do realize Columbus never discovered America
    Even if you were to overlook the not-so-minor fact that millions of people were already living in North America in 1492, the fact is that Columbus never set foot on our shores. In fact, October 12 marks the day of his arrival to the Bahamas. While he did reach the coasts of what today are Cuba, Haiti and the Dominican Republic, as well as explore the Central and South American coasts, he never unfurled a Spanish flag in North America. (Leif Eriksson is the first European believed to have sailed to North America, having reached Canada 500 years before Columbus set sail to the west.) He may have been a great sailor but he was most definitely an oppressor indigenous people .

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

He enslaved and mutilated native people
    When Columbus first set foot on Hispaniola, he encountered a population of native people called the Taino. A friendly group, they willingly traded jewelry, animals, and supplies with the sailors. “They were very well built, with very handsome bodies and very good faces,” Columbus wrote in his diary. “They do not carry arms or know them….They should be good servants.” The natives were soon forced into slavery, and punished with the loss of a limb or death if they did not collect enough gold (a portion of which Columbus was allowed to keep for himself). Between the European’s brutal treatment and their infectious diseases, within decades, the Taino population was decimated.

He was arrested by the Spanish Government
    In 1499, the Spanish monarchs got wind of the mistreatment of Spanish colonists in Hispaniola, including the flogging and executions without trial. Columbus, who was governor of the territory, was arrested, chained up, and brought back to Spain. Although some of the charges may have been manufactured by his political enemies, Columbus admitted to King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella that many of the accusations were true. Columbus was stripped of his title as governor. You do realize Columbus never discovered America
    Even if you were to overlook the not-so-minor fact that millions of people were already living in North America in 1492, the fact is that Columbus never set foot on our shores. In fact, October 12 marks the day of his arrival to the Bahamas. While he did reach the coasts of what today are Cuba, Haiti and the Dominican Republic, as well as explore the Central and South American coasts, he never unfurled a Spanish flag in North America. (Leif Eriksson is the first European believed to have sailed to North America, having reached Canada 500 years before Columbus set sail to the west.) He may have been a great sailor but was most definitely an oppressor indigenous people .

So do I get the day off or not?? coffee

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Do we get a Leif Erickson story too?? Ancestry.com says I am part Scandinavian. I do wait with baited breathe to hear about the just conquerors and pillagers.

Oh man , I just thought of something … we better change the town of Pillager to Duckies and Bunnies, MN.

catmando
    wis

Lets start tearing down Totem Poles since they represent a culture that came across a land bridge and spoil a wilderness where NO man stood. Tell me what the difference is between that and the Columbus statue.

Well, for one thing Columbus was a slaver who, captured people used them and sold them. DK.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>
    Lets start tearing down Totem Poles since they represent a culture that came across a land bridge and spoil a wilderness where NO man stood. Tell me what the difference is between that and the Columbus statue.

Well, for one thing Columbus was a slaver who, captured people used them and sold them. DK.

Maybe you should read a little about Native American history and the relationships they had with each other. While your at it maybe some African history as well.

Mary and Jesus are who you’ll find as only documented non sinners to walk the earth.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Do we get a Leif Erickson story too?? Ancestry.com says I am part Scandinavian. I do wait with baited breathe to hear about the just conquerors and pillagers.

Oh man , I just thought of something … we better change the town of Pillager to Duckies and Bunnies, MN.

Well Joe if thats what makes your world go around .

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

So, Don I take that as a yes then. I am well aware of the hostility that existed back then. Do you realize that’s how the world was back then?? Groups of people conquering each other over land.

And to Joe’s point, some of you should do a little research on how the ‘native Americans’ interacted with each other. They were often at war with different tribes and killing each other like every other group.

Get over it. It happened.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Tearing Down Statues Across America’ is closed to new replies.