Superior ice

• Matt Waste

Ice reports along north shore?

Matt Waste

That’s very helpful, and what ice is right. I have never been lake trout fishing up there and would love to try it.

curleytail

Yup, I wouldn’t hold your breath for it happening this year. The year we all got out there fishing a couple years ago was reasonably cold, and what finally froze it up was several days of very cold, calm weather. Cold as in stretches of -25 at times if I remember correctly. I think the 1st day I went up to fish it was -15 or 20 when I left home in the morning.

I talked to an old timer while out there that lived around Duluth and he said that area had only froze up to allow such good ice fishing access a small handful of times in his years there.

B-man

No ice there today…..But we found a few fish instead toast

(four of us in the boat)

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20210113_1116252.jpg

2. 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20210113131848717_COVER3.jpg

3. IMG_20210113_1344093.jpg

Ripjiggen

Nice work B man. Love seeing the kids.
    Let us know when they start guiding on there own. I will be the first to hire them. smile

B-man

Nice work B man. Love seeing the kids.
    Let us know when they start guiding on there own. I will be the first to hire them. smile

Sounds like a deal jester

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

The harbor in Grand Marais isn’t iced up yet and the main lake rarely freezes up here but I think some guys were getting out down by Duluth

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Could it be happening! I seen on the news a couple crazy’s out of 21st ave. Today. Cold temps for the weekend not sure of the wind though. I think it’s wdio channel six in Duluth is doing something on the ten o clock news to why you should not go out there. I’d sure like to get out there again soon though it’s been a few years I think we’re due. Safety first of course!

curleytail

For as mild as it has been it’s hard to believe we could see ice on the main lake around Duluth this year. This weekend is going to be cold but I believe it’s supposed to be pretty windy. At least it’s supposed to be fairly windy everywhere around Chetek, Hayward, and wherever I’ve checked in Northern MN.

Nothing is impossible, but I’m still not holding my breath on Duluth area lakers this year. But it would be cool to do it again if the opportunity presents itself!

Tucker

Gitchi Gummi

Based on the wind forecast, that ice will be gone in a couple days. Be safe out there!

CC

2-3 inches for the brave souls. Bunch of herring and few salmon in the bucket.

B-man

2-3 inches for the brave souls. Bunch of herring and few salmon in the bucket.

I hope those “brave” souls are prepared and know what the wind is doing. A NE wind will hold the ice sheet there, but too much of the “right wind” will break it up right underneath you.

You wouldn’t catch me out there without a cold water immersion suit or a kayak. It early and dangerous, especially for Lake Superior.

Be careful guys. If you don’t know what you’re doing, stay off of it.

I myself won’t be out there anytime soon, and I’m a Lake Superior junky.

Here’s a link to a video of the ice on Lake Michigan with swells pushing the ice with the “right wind”. I wouldn’t want to be trying to walk across it back to shore.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/huge-chunks-ice-crash-chicago-lakefront-75600041

Ripjiggen

20 out of the south tonight 25 out of the northwest tomorrow for Duluth guessing it will be short lived.

Gitchi Gummi

There were even people fishing out from park point this afternoon. At least 15-20 people/shacks out from 21st today when I counted. The wind forecast the next two days looks very dangerous. Hopefully no one is out there when it she finally lets loose.

Gitchi Gummi

This is looking down Lake Ave today. Notice the shack with open water in the background. 20 mph west winds out there right now. Hopefully he brought the planer boards for when he starts trolling

Attachments:
    1. FEB46062-EF2F-455B-A68D-139FC654645E.png

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

FYI, there is currently an ice rescue in progress out in Duluth right now.

Gitchi Gummi

About 20ish people got caught on the wrong side of the crack when it opened around 21st Ave. Looks like most of the people have been boated across the crack back to safety. Portables and gear was left behind, rightfully so.

Hopefully this will be a lesson learned to not fish thin Lake Superior ice with a 20 mph west wind

Austin Hake

2/16/2021 – ice heave is frozen as far as Lester park. Went out & tested the thickness & we are looking at close to 7” in some of the spots accessible from shore near 21st Ave.

Going out again today 2/17 to check again.

Austin Hake

100% agree. Went out to scout the lake for the first time the very afternoon that ice heave finally broke off & everyone had to be rescued – wow.

Went out for a scout again yesterday 2/16 & found that there was around 6” of good ice with the heave frozen all the way up to Lester park.

What are your thoughts on the current ice conditions? I’m a complete superior noob

Nick Lorentz

Any tips on where to park to get on the ice? Never been up there before was planning on giving it a go this weekend. Any help is greatly appreciated.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

They finally posted the pics today and the ice blew out into the lake….I didn’t realize we had that much wind.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.