Superior Ice (Duluth)

• Joe W

Slow day yesterday, but some success. Buddy had one chase and two hits. I had one that connected. A seahair over 34 inches.

White tube jig.

Attachments:
    1. IMG952336_01.jpg

Jeff Telander

We were also up yesterday. My friend got two 26.5 inchers. My other friend and I got skunked. Had a couple of chasers. Lots of fish that wouldn’t come off bottom in 107 FOW. one thing about marine general, they don’t open until 9:00 on weekdays. Bring minnows with you or plan on starting late.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Didn’t make it out two days ago, brake lines exploded on the suburban (incredibly fun sensation while driving in Duluth)

Was out this morning off 21st 71 FOW from 5:15-7:30 had one good chase on white tube. Going to make it back out this afternoon. 18-20 inches of ice off 21st, not worried in the least about the CG cutter.

James Almquist

If you are coming up Interstate 35 get off on the Cloquet exit and go to Outdoor Advantage for bait. They open at 7:00. They are about 1 mile off the interstate on the right. Turn in the Walmart entrance and make a quick left and you are there. Good guy and odds are you get your own bait by the scoop. The roundabout will get you back on the interstate.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Also, it’s auger extension time. My buddy is still out there and texted me to bring extension.

We are fishing out past the 2nd pressure ridge off 21st.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The first hump is getting hammered in Two Harbors. Lots of people out there today. Looks like a fine day for fishing up there. I have 40 degrees here in Roch right now. I love it….while it lasts.

Jeff Telander

Whatever minnows you like. Shiners, fatheads… just something to tip a jig and add some scent. Helps to seal the deal sometimes.

curleytail

Also, it’s auger extension time. My buddy is still out there and texted me to bring extension.

We are fishing out past the 2nd pressure ridge off 21st.

That must just be when trying to fish near the heaves? I can’t imagine there’s over 3 feet of ice on the main sheet? I have tried drilling next to the heaves near shore in about 50 feet and not been able to get through though.

dbright
    Cambridge

We had nothing over 16″ today. There were a few holes drilled near the rough ice that did not make it threw.

Smackem33

Last weekend I had a two ft extension on my ion and couldn’t get through next to that crazy ice it’s over 5ft thick! But yeah main sheet didn’t need it

catmando
    wis

I went out, way beyond the pressure ridges, way out on the flat ice. Drilled a tank full found 20 inches of ice everywhere. no fish , long walk. The Smitty Sled is the best for a walking man! that was out of 21 st

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Mando, think I saw you when I was coming off the ice before work. Pretty sure you spoke with my buddy for a while.

Jeff Telander

I’m thinking of heading out tomorrow morning. Any dos or donts?

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Folks are fishing from 21st Ave up the shore all the way to 2 Harbors. Lots of ice to spread out on. I had a solid 12-14″ off of the French last Thursday.
    There is a chance of rain after about 1 tomorrow up here, winds dont look too bad.
    Good luck I’m looking at the weekend for another trip out.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We fished Sunday and Monday – Sunday off Mcqaids and Monday off Brighton beach. 3 guys and nothing to show for it but it was still a good experience. This is the first time any of us had chased lakers through the ice.

We marked fish mainly on the bottom – I don’t know if we really marked any lakers at all. Fished from 100′ out to about 140′ with about every bait you could think of. Never needed the extension but a few places it was 3′. North of Brighton the ice is flatter and it was probably 20″ thick.

Talked to a DNR guy leaving yesterday and he didn’t have many good reports. Sounds like further north might be better but you have to deal with some current and need some heavier baits. We didn’t venture up there but wish we did. Also heard deeper – past 150′ is the best bet. No idea the truth to those reports though.

Sounds like days are numbered – the ice breakers are starting to come through this week and Duluth is forecast for 2″ of rain.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Bad news they are giving the lift bridge a workout. Think with this rain and icebreakers coming through that tonight is last chance.

Deeper seems to have been the key

Jeff Telander

So you think it will be unfishable tomorrow morning?

dbright
    Cambridge

Two of us went out on Friday for are first time on Superior. We fished from 75′ to 135′ and caught 4 between 90-95′.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

So you think it will be unfishable tomorrow morning?

Depends how much rain we get. But it’s going to be insanely foggy and sloppy out there. Winds also don’t look to friendly. Suppose if its a mess down by Duluth you can hit Mcquade or maybe dive north where theres no rain.

Once the warm runoff starts hitting the lake and we get some N/NE winds to kick up waves the ice will go quick….at least I think so, and then its time to chase steel!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Here’s NOAA for park Point. I guess I’d feel fine going out tomorrow if it was me. They are showing about and inch of rain overnight thru Thursday afternoon.
    You’ll have to make your call on it tho.

Tonight: A chance of drizzle, mainly before 2am. Patchy fog after 3am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 33. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.
    Wednesday: A chance of drizzle before 1pm, then rain, mainly after 1pm. Patchy fog. High near 40. Light and variable wind becoming northeast 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Jeff Telander

Thanks guys. We are heading out early to try and beat the rain. Will just fish until it starts I guess. We were out of Brighton beach the last time I went. Was thinking of heading north a little tomorrow.

catmando
    wis

Mando, think I saw you when I was coming off the ice before work. Pretty sure you spoke with my buddy for a while.

Yes that was me in the morning, you had to go to work talked to your bud when we were leaving, taking snowshoes if I go up again, its going to get soft. in 2014 caught some nice on es in 95 ft , i went out long ways and could only find 85, think i had to go north more. DK.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Yes that was me in the morning, you had to go to work talked to your bud when we were leaving, taking snowshoes if I go up again, its going to get soft. in 2014 caught some nice on es in 95 ft , i went out long ways and could only find 85, think i had to go north more. DK.
    [/quote]

You were just a spec on the horizon, my buddy joked that he thought you were walking back to Wisconsin!

I remember being able to find deeper water off 21st as well.

Best case scenario this rain melts the snow and we get another freeze. Doesn’t look likely though. Already have the itch to chase stream fish

catmando
    wis

yep your buddy and I were tuckered out, going to bring a 25 ft rope to haul up my sled, from that hill, tell him Hi Steelheading is just around the corner, snowshoes to get to the river, will be the ticket, I am thinking.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Do people think this weekend there will still be safe ice to fish. Thinking about making a trip up from the cities since last weekend our plans got canceled due to the potential snow storm that ended up not being that bad.

Harvester

All speculation. I live a mile and a half from the lake, and have been on it almost everyday this week. No telling what will happen after the wind and the rain. I would guess there will be fishable ice somewhere on our side, if not lots of places. Time will tell once this crap subsides.

Smackem33

All speculation. I live a mile and a half from the lake, and have been on it almost everyday this week. No telling what will happen after the wind and the rain. I would guess there will be fishable ice somewhere on our side, if not lots of places. Time will tell once this crap subsides.

Been catching any? Coming up for the weekend again. if the ice isnt fishable I’ll have to go slush boarding At spirit, Since I can’t cancel my hotel after today

Jeff Telander

I was out of two harbors yesterday until it started raining at about 3:30. It got pretty slushy out there but the ice wasn’t punky yet. I’d also like to get back up there if possible. I love an hour and a half from Duluth so any and all ice reports are appreciated.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Just an FYI. I a was curious about the ice breaking operation that was supposedly scheduled for this week so I searched for the coast guard cutter Alder that usually does the ice breaking in Duluth. I found it in docked at St Ignace yesterday. It appears it’s been doing ice breaking operations in and around the Mackinaw Straights and St Mary’s river area. That means it’s stuck on the opposite side of the Salt Ste Marie locks which aren’t scheduled to open until 3/25.

The Alder is currently in en route to the St Mary’s river. We’ll see if it passes through the locks.
    https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:457232/mmsi:369953000/imo:9271145/vessel:ALDER

Viewing 30 posts - 361 through 390 (of 442 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.