1. 570B8295-9C16-4D17-899D-BB0E20F8C525.jpeg

2. 2F9C73DF-B3F0-46B6-B003-6ACD1F2882D9.jpeg

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Yeah I just checked the Bay Front Cam and it’s all gone flame

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do you guys go and catch walleyes in these areas ? Or what are you targeting ?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s bad and getting worse. bawling

Attachments:
    1. 3FC816A1-F448-440F-BE07-527AEB58FF18.jpeg

Charles

Going going almost gone.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Yup, just sitting here in the office watching it blow away. There’s still a small section from the breakwater up to about 21st, but doesnt get you very far.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was just watching the rate at which the steam on the water at Two Harbors is moving in the wind. If the wind turns a little there’s going to be some serious wave activity headed at Duluth.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Yup, just sitting here in the office watching it blow away. There’s still a small section from the breakwater up to about 21st, but doesnt get you very far.

You could cast off the edge. woot

I was just watching the rate at which the steam on the water at Two Harbors is moving in the wind. If the wind turns a little there’s going to be some serious wave activity headed at Duluth.

It’s supposed to die down and turn to the w and sw. Sunday and Monday it’s supposed to be light from e and ene. There a chance ice could make a return trip back to the twin ports but there’s another big blow scheduled for the middle/end of next week. Much like today.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Yup theres a slight chance the ice comes blowing back.

Speaking of casting off of edges, once the wind dies down it might not be a bad time to break out the fly rod and #16 nymphs to pitch off of a certain breakwater between Duluth and Two Harbors

B-man

…..

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190124-1511022.png

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

At the end of the shore-side iron pier there’s a portable set up this afternoon and another guy is walking on the ice between there and the breakwater. That’s all shale ice that was broken up two days ago.. I wouldn’t do it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Well, someone has to be first.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I guess. Being the first in the drink might not be healthy. Yesterday that ice mass was moving with waves coming in from the south. Its all fractured shale ice back in there. Oh well…possible population control.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Oh well…possible population control.

I got $100 that says the population multiplies 50 fold tomorrow.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Tom Sawvell wrote:</div>
    Oh well…possible population control.

I got $100 that says the population multiplies 50 fold tomorrow.

You know your 100 percent correct.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Curious about the people on the wall. Not walkers my buddy in Two Harbors said tonight on the phone. Apparently they’re still plucking some cohos casting and he thinks these guys thru the ice are after the same. Damn….I couldn’t stand out there with the -22 degrees they had this morning casting. I couldn’t even get that far out on the wall period with my lungs.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Those were from 2014. One of the last times there was fishable ice.

2015 was a good season too.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Next I’ll be the “laketroutstudent”… smile
    [/quote]

Me to.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The ice in TH must be deteriorating. There were about 15 houses out there at 7:30, now there are none. The sw wind will chew up the ice really quick.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The ice in TH must be deteriorating. There were about 15 houses out there at 7:30, now there are none. The sw wind will chew up the ice really quick.

It wasn’t all that good in the first place.

It looks as though they’ve lost about 300 yards already from where the open water was yesterday. The first couple hundred feet of the ice at the open water edge sure looks loose. I see an empty pick-up at the ramp….sure hope he isn’t in the drink.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

It wasn’t all that good in the first place.

It looks as though they’ve lost about 300 yards already from where the open water was yesterday. The first couple hundred feet of the ice at the open water edge sure looks loose. I see an empty pick-up at the ramp….sure hope he isn’t in the drink.

Where are you guys seeing this camera view?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

That ice is holding up a lot better than I thought it would.

Either way, I wish it would just get thick or blow away completely. There’s no fish to be caught when there’s slush in there.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The canal and lake in front of it in Duluth have cleaned out nice.

The waves are getting a bit larger in Two Harbors and there’s a long line of crushed ice flowing into the lake past the breakwater. If the winds stay up over-night from this direction I’d expect to see a change in the harbor ice by morning.

I watch things change from the comfort of home, then call my bubbies up there and listen to the bit…ing about things going to pot.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Interesting dynamic playing out up there.

How often does the ice break up behind anglers, between them and the shore, like it did earlier this season?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I think a bigger concern is when a whole sheet of ice lets go, and by a sheet I am talking about anywhere from a football field sized piece to maybe as much as a half a square mile. These big floes can move at an incredible rate and if the coast guard or other facility gets called in to pluck people off its only people that leaves. The equipment stays and ends up wherever the ice takes it.

Thankfully it doesn’t happen that often but its still something to here of people who push the limits of the big lake. It seems every year there are a few who vie for the Darwin award.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 442 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.