Superior Ice (Duluth)

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Last season was simply unprecedented. No one I talked to had ever seen that kind of ice as far north and east as we did last year. I Saturday at Larsmomt with my wife in March and was able to easily walk out to 250’.

I hope to live long enough to see that again.

I guess on the bright side, they say one of the side effects to global warming is the polar vortex patterns so we should see the occasional winter like 2014 or 2015 and maybe 2019.

Most meteorologists are predicting a colder than average winter again. The major patter in control is a neutral to La Niña which equates to about a 70-80% chance of a below average winter.

I’m good with that as long as we don’t get all the snow we did last year. That was a B*&^%!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You should’ve seen 2014. Snow was waist to elbow deep everywhere around Duluth. The nice thing was the ice never seems to hold much snow. It simply blows away.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Last year was simply amazing. 13 and 14 were just brutal.

I don’t think too many people in the younger age bracket (my friends) understand how rare it is to be on that ice, that far out. Fingers crossed already, but as always cursing the dang wind open water or for keeping ice on the big lake.

Going to the UP this weekend should be able to get into the Coho’s

curleytail

Is there a solid foot of ice on the big lake yet? Not looking too good to get out there this year is it?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Far too early to tell. Ice usually doesn’t happen until the end of January.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

There’s a couple guys looking to launch in Two Harbors as I type. Ice in the landing may hold them up a bit though. It was open yesterday but pretty cold there this morning. Lots of smoke on the water today.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Talked to a tug captain last evening – there are a few more ships that might be coming in for winter lay up in the bay.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I’ll be following closely as I intend to chase lakers up there on the ice for the first time this year. Obviously with extreme caution, watching wind conditions, always within proximity to shore, etc.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Water was 37 last weekend out of mcquade, its going to be a long time till ice could form on the main lake.

SE wind coming tonight, if two harbors landing is capped from last nights cold snap that SE wind will break it up.

curleytail

Far too early to tell. Ice usually doesn’t happen until the end of January.

Last year was the 1st year I watched and fished the ice up there. I assumed it needed a lot of cold weather leading up to the freeze to cool that massive amount of water down to the point it might start freezing.

Hate to wish for the brutal cold it took to freeze it up last year, but sure wouldn’t mind a trip or two there if the ice does form again this year.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Not gonna happen this year fellas. It sucks but thats why you get out there when you can

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not gonna happen this year fellas. It sucks but thats why you get out there when you can

Why do you say that?

catmando
    wis

What a Debbie Downer, could get dam cold yet!

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Just trying not to jinx it guys…see attachment

Attachments:
    1. longrange.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

See attachment.

Attachments:
    1. 0C561513-DAE6-4E8B-B115-91F901C6983A.jpeg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Erie and Superior have on/off ice fishing years. My guess is no this year. Hope I’m wrong.

biff

Not looking good so far. It’s early though. I doubt it will be like last year but maybe we will see some fishable ice around two harbors and toward Duluth.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The average lake temperature is actually colder than this time last year.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

We are all nuts, but it’s great. Lakers will do that to a fella.

Viewing 22 posts - 421 through 442 (of 442 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.