Superclubs metroish & beyond

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

@glenn57 is the Blue Heron still around? You knew it was a special event as a kid when we would go out to Cold Spring and the Blue Heron.

yes sir!!!!! waytogo was there this past sunday night as a matter of fact. the grocery store i work part time for had its christmas party there. they had ham, chicken taters and mixed veggies……pretty darn good!!!!

one of the guys i work with at the store bartends down there, he said on thursdays they have a pasta bar. but honestly i havent been in there in a really long time otherwise, just no my kind of crowd i guess. but then i dont go out much either, and if i do we hit up winners!!!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well if your in the Red Wing area, there’s Bayside Tap and Steak House. (yes they have Hamm’s)

Burgers are very good, but the ribeye is still my fav. It’s not exactly a “supper club”.

One thing, don’t mention my name, they won’t kick you out but your bill might be higher. grin

A very good couple own it.

Brad Dimond

This place is/was really good, it used to be T.J’s on the Bay…its been awhile but this post will trigger my visit soon ! Waterfront

Great stop for a beer after a day fishing Clearwater.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This place is/was really good, it used to be T.J’s on the Bay…its been awhile but this post will trigger my visit soon ! Waterfront

I was there last weekend, cool spot! Food was just ok, but we also didn’t get any of the higher end items they seem to focus on. I had ribs which were over boiled, but good BBQ sauce and fries. Huge menu too!

The_Bladepuller
    South end

I can’t believe no one has brought up Jack & Jims in Duelm. Just south off of MN 95 east of the 23 / 95 split east of St Cloud.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Belinda and Julie from Kare 11 did a piece on Supper Clubs and their resurgence, that was pretty good. Mainly focused on Weiderholt’s, Indianhead and the Apostle.
    There are a bunch of relatively new ones in the Metro, I haven’t been to any, but would like to check them out. Creekside in S MSP, Apostle in StP, and Shakopee House replaced Dangerfields in Shakopee off the top of my head. Any I’m missing?

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/local/kare11-extras/resurgence-of-supper-club/89-7be84800-4a17-47e2-94ba-e40418adce42

Deuces

Supperclubs = classy dining IMO

Seems the term is getting watered down nowadays, perhaps I’m just not a fan of the cliche decor most offer. I want drapes, carpet, wood paneling, and a big whiskey selection.

My dad and his siblings all worked at Leon’s over NE growing up.

Jax cafe over there is still quite good.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Not sure if it’s considered a supper club or not but the Harbor View in Pepin has some of the best food we’ve found within SE MN and Western WI. I’d consider it hearty homemade feeling food with unique sides. Their menu changes a bit by the week, but we visit probably once a month and have a few staples we always go with. I also suck down a couple brandy old fashioneds each time we visit.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Not sure if it’s considered a supper club or not but the Harbor View in Pepin has some of the best food we’ve found within SE MN and Western WI.

I wouldn’t consider Harbor View a Supper club, but it is awesome! My wife’s family lives in Pepin and a few work there, so we go at least a couple times a year, and I’d put them up against any of the fine dining in Minneapolis. Their Halibut with Black Butter Caper sauce is ELITE!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Not sure if it was mentioned but Anton’s in Waite Park should be experienced by everyone once ! Lots of history made during prohibition in that place and its right on the Sauk River. waytogo toast

Justin Donson

We’ve always enjoyed Sullivan’s supper club down in Trempealeau, WI, and I know my in-laws like the Hillside which is a bit further up river.

Maybe check out Lindy’s over near Bethel college too, I don’t know if that’s a legit supper club or not, but definitely feels like one and is a cool experience.

CaptainMusky

Not sure if it was mentioned but Anton’s in Waite Park should be experienced by everyone once ! Lots of history made during prohibition in that place and its right on the Sauk River.

Not to mention the fact that it floods in the Spring fairly regularly, but yes definitely a must go to. Havent been there in years, but their popovers are awesome. Strangely enough I dont believe they have fryers so no fried food.

CaptainMusky

I can’t believe no one has brought up Jack & Jims in Duelm. Just south off of MN 95 east of the 23 / 95 split east of St Cloud.

Oh that place is fantastic! Havent been there in years though. Their dumpling soup is fantastic.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

…and its right on the Sauk River.

Some springs, it’s right in the Sauk River. rotflol

ThunderLund78

We’ve always enjoyed Sullivan’s supper club down in Trempealeau, WI, and I know my in-laws like the Hillside which is a bit further up river.

Used to hit both of these up when I went to school/lived in Winona. Great area and great eats at both places!

CaptainMusky

Some springs, it’s right in the Sauk River.

The first time I went in there I was like why in the World are the outlets like 5 feet above the floor. Now I know why. There have been fish in there at times LOL

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t think you really went to the Homecoming or Prom Dances if you didn’t go to Anton’s first back in the day lol. Jack and Jim’s is ELITE home cooking too, a little lacking on the supper club feel, but food is great. They used to do a wild game feed that was really good, and some cool preparations and types of wild meats.

big_g
    Isle, MN

It’s a spring ritual to fill sandbags at Anton’s every spring. doah Kinda neat to sit in there and see the water lines on the old log siding. The fresh pop overs are awesome and they always have fresh steaks and fish to order ! If you like old stories about Minnesota bootleggers and prohibition times, check out Minnesota 13, a cool book about the area back then. waytogo toast

CaptainMusky

If you like old stories about Minnesota bootleggers and prohibition times, check out Minnesota 13, a cool book about the area back then.

One of my coworker’s grandma was featured in the book. She was instrumental in that stage from Holdingford.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Only time I’ve gone to Anton’s is when someone else buys! rotflol . Not sure why it’s a good food. I’ve canoed the river past there more than I ate there.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    If you like old stories about Minnesota bootleggers and prohibition times, check out Minnesota 13, a cool book about the area back then.

One of my coworker’s grandma was featured in the book. She was instrumental in that stage from Holdingford.

It seems the hotspots were Holdingford, Avon, Albany and even St Johns Monastery blush

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.