Suggestions for a hunting collar

• bigpike

I have a new buddy. A german short hair pointer. 1 year old. I plan on training him and would like to take any suggestions on a training collar for him. Been quite a few years since I was in the market so what’s the recommended collars?

Attachments:
    1. 20180209_161032.jpg

Tim owens

I have a new buddy. A german short hair pointer. 1 year old. I plan on training him and would like to take any suggestions on a training collar for him. Been quite a few years since I was in the market so what’s the recommended collars?

Tim owens

I like the garmin 550. It has a high, medium, and low for every level of stimulation.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Congrats on the GSP! They’re great dogs. I’m waiting for my daughter to chime in here, as she hunts over two of them.

How about it @Sharon ?

SR

404 ERROR
    MN

Another GSP owner on IDO! That makes at least 3 of us. Very good looking pup, I love the black colors.

My GSP has a Sportdog Sporthunter 1225. It works great and I really like it. Him, not so much…Luckily I almost never need to use it anymore.

And yes, a GSP that can barely swim…that’s why he wears a lifevest…

Attachments:
    1. Reagan.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I use a Dogtra 2500T&B. My only complaint is that in deep snow, the beeper can get packed with snow, making it quieter. It’s not a complaint that would stop me from buying another–it’s easy enough to clear out occasionally. I’ve been really happy with it. Battery life is excellent.

What kind of features are you looking for? Do you have a budget in mind? Some of the new GPS collars look awesome, but they’re pricey.

2500T&B

Congrats on the new pup!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Him, not so much…

I gotta ask how much stimulation you’re giving him. Mine usually doesn’t take much (22 out of 127). I can only feel it if I position it just right on my wrist. He starts bouncing with anticipation as soon as I bring the collar out because he knows that something fun is happening.

No judgement–there’s more than one way to train a dog, and some dogs are a lot more stubborn than others. )

bigpike

I am pretty excited about him having grouse country out my backdoor! My wife wants it for obedience in taking walks. And we both want it for hunting so it will need to be an all around collar. Beep on point, GPS would be great….I don’t know all the features on current collars

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

You need to consider how you want to train the dog to the collar what you want to use it for. Do you want GPS, Beeper, tone, vibrate, varying levels of stimulation, ability to control multiple dogs, remote to collar distance, etc.

I have a lab, so I need a little different collar than you. But I have had zero problems with a Tri-Tronics collar, it has performed 100% of the time, through lots of abuse, for the last 6 years now.

Things that are important to me, the tone button allows me “silently” communicate to my dog in the field. I did train him to my whistle, 1 whistle sit, 3 whistles comes, but I then transitioned that to the tone on the collar and can now get my dog to come to me in the field pheasant hunting without making a sound. That works wonders for not spooking birds!

CaptainMusky

I would make sure to get a collar that has a beeper since you have a pointing breed. Especially nice is one that you can turn on or off the beeper from the remote. I dont need the beeper when I can see him, but if he goes on thick cover where I can’t I turn it on to keep tabs.
    I have a garmin delta upland xc. Has capabilities of adding collars of you get more fuzzy buddies in the future. The remote and collar both are rechargeable. It has been, vibrate and a bark limiter built in. Very pleased with it.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Congrats on the new pup! What’s his name? He’s very cute. My husband Billy and I have two GSPs and we use the SportDog Upland Hunter 1875 collar and have had great success with it. It beeps with different tones and functions, vibrates, and shocks. It’s for use of up to three dogs but two is easier to manage with the one remote. Whenever we get out their collars the boys go nuts – bouncing up and down in excitement because their collars mean we’re doing something fun. Whether it’s hunting or just exploring woods and fields during the off season, they know they’re in store for some fun! Be sure to share stories and photos!

Attachments:
    1. 21314670_10211855203470499_931661228375769858_n.jpg

2. Hunting-with-my-boys-Oct-2016.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I really think that if you go with one of the big three (Dogtra, SportDog, Garmin), you’ll be happy. They all make good collars. Find the one that has the features that you need/want.

Reef W

The GPS collars are really big, both the collar and the handheld, and have relatively short battery life. I don’t like using it unless we are actually hunting. For everything else I use a sportdog 1825. It’s small and light and the battery lasts for several days at least.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The GPS collars are really big, both the collar and the handheld, and have relatively short battery life. I don’t like using it unless we are actually hunting.

That’s a good point that I hadn’t thought of!

bigpike

Congrats on the new pup! What’s his name? He’s very cute. My husband Billy and I have two GSPs and we use the SportDog Upland Hunter 1875 collar and have had great success with it. It beeps with different tones and functions, vibrates, and shocks. It’s for use of up to three dogs but two is easier to manage with the one remote. Whenever we get out their collars the boys go nuts – bouncing up and down in excitement because their collars mean we’re doing something fun. Whether it’s hunting or just exploring woods and fields during the off season, they know they’re in store for some fun! Be sure to share stories and photos!

Thanks his name is Cash after Johnny…

Attachments:
    1. 541784882.jpg

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Can’t help with the collar but had to chime in as a GSP owner as well. She’s 8 yrs old this May.

And Merican Eagle- always thought it was just my bad luck I ended up with a GSP that’s a poor swimmer. Funny.

mike mulhern

I have been lucky enough to have been owned by several shorthairs they all have been rewarding to be a part of their lives. My current one is Jessie and she is the culmination of all the good features in my past dogs. A man is blessed with one great dog to share his life I have been blessed with three. Be light on the collar heavy on the time spent with your dog bonding.

Mike

404 ERROR
    MN

I gotta ask how much stimulation you’re giving him.

He’s a wimp. The sportdog I have has 7 stimulation settings, 1 vibrate and a beep. We keep it on vibrate only and he will yelp when you vibrate him…really, dog? The vibrate hurt? Tell me more…

No judgement felt. Our pup is excellent and almost never needs correcting. Really, the only time we use the collar is when he’s out running by himself and we want him to come back. A quick beep or two and he’s full sprinting back to us. We are very fortunate, as many GSP’s are not this way.

CaptainMusky

Be light on the collar heavy on the time spent with your dog bonding.

Mike

This is VERY true! Most dogs need very little correction and heck, mine once you put the collar on he knows he should be on high alert and best behavior.
    Its funny the discipline difference between members of the family. He NEVER pulls anything on me, but when my wife and kids are out with him he sometimes does.
    A stern voice does just as much as a zap in most cases.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

And Merican Eagle- always thought it was just my bad luck I ended up with a GSP that’s a poor swimmer. Funny.

LOL. I am glad to have a dog that loves the water, but lemme tell you, there are disadvantages to it. Like when you’re swimming off the pontoon in the middle of the lake and your 80+ lb dog jumps in, too. That’s a load to hoist back into the pontoon. Or when it’s time to go home and he decides he needs one more dip, so you get to endure the smell of a wet dog for a 2 hour drive. rotflol

Tim owens

What is his blood lines. Very nice looking pup. But I might be a little biased.

Attachments:
    1. AE97A778-F6A5-4B4F-88B1-7909DA226F88.jpeg

2. 19FD833E-F9EA-4ECD-AF9C-FCFFA0FEFC6F.jpeg

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Gun Gog Supply just sent me an email saying Garmin/Tritronics is offering a rebate on some of their units – if that sways you. I have the Pro 550 and like it a lot. I have a lab though. Love the night light feature.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Back in the 70s, my father had a GSP that actually was OK with swimming and retrieving, but the dog swam with only the tip of his nose and eyeballs above water and when he had to make a turn, he sunk completely for a considerable amount of time before he got it facing int the right direction and resurfaced.

The whole process scared dad so badly every time it happened that he never let the dog water retrieve while hunting. They didn’t have the doggie life vests back then.

Grouse

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.