Sucker rigs

• Daniel Cannon

I’ve heard about the drainpipe suckers… but I’ve been having a really hard time searching for some! This would be my first year going after suckers! In the New Hope Maple Grove area

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

The dam in Oronoco used to be a stellar spring spot. In a good afternoon two guys could catch a couple hundreds of pounds of white and red horse suckers. I went there last spring with a smirk on my face – anticipating the fun I was going to have. The dam was gone flame . I would guess the next dam up might be a good spot, but I’m not sure where that is????

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve heard about the drainpipe suckers… but I’ve been having a really hard time searching for some!

IMO, it’s too early for suckers. Give it a few weeks.

Deuces

If you love sitting by a creek on a cold spring day you can still pick up maybe one or two right now in couple hours. But yes, the time for suckers is still quite aways off.

Any type of warmer water discharge into the river is going to attract fish. Whether that be a creek, stream, or drainage pipes. Finding the productive ones are best sought out with hiking boots.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Nick has some great tips in this thread. I use almost the same bait presentation but add one more hook to it like a crawler harness. I thread the worm on like he does and use the top hook to hold the worm in place. This way if the sucker wants to go for the head or tail I have her.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

It’s been a couple years since I have sucker fished. I think my oldest has the patience now, so I will need to get to it this spring.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.