Sturgeon Excursion 2018 Rainy River

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

UPDATE 12/4/17:

OK All,
    I just spoke to “Jenny” who handles the groups over 30 people. She says that the rooms are still reserved for us at $45/person-per night. The number to call is 218-634-1342. If you get any comments from the front desk gals, Jenny said to drop her name. I’m going to make my reservations today to get them going. We will want Friday the 20th and Saturday the 21st and leave Sunday unless you want to stay longer.
    Any questions, let me know. I left my name and In-Depthoutdoors as a reference. I just found out you do not need to hold it with a CC, they just want to know how many of us are coming.
    Tuck

I figured I would get this started early this year. I want to see what the thought is about reviving the old IDO “Sturgeon Excursion”…With a twist. Kruger Farms will be involved. Thinking late April after the walleye season closes and all that is left for people are the “Sturgists”. If we have enough people interested I will take the initiative to find the best accommodations for the event. We will have prizes for the biggest and smallest sturgies. Format will be the same as the State’s catch and release record format. Measure length, width and a picture holding the fish. (Our group last year set the “Catch and Release Record for MN!”)
    We have lots of time to plan, so let me know the interest level.
    *Dates for this event will be April 21rst & 22nd, 2018.*

Attachments:
    1. sturgy.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Sounds like a good time, I’d be interested!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The FW had been leaning on me to go this spring…so I’m in.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Me too. That was a fun trip.

SR

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Awesome! BK can you pin this post?

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I think its a great idea!
    This is exactly how I went my very first time!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Unless it coincides with when I want to go, probably pass. I try to plan that trip short notice.

Anyone who wants to go… You have plenty of time to save the money to buy a landing net for sturgeon, actual sturgeon gear. Frustrating seeing all the walleye newbs using bass gear and Gill plate holds.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Half the fun is being around and harassing others from the web site.
    Steve Root is due to win some door prizes. )

I thought it was a hoot talking to everyone on they’re way to catch sturg. Some cut their crawlers, some used a line out alarm, some didn’t…others didn’t close the bail and watched the line. Everyone had their special way to catch a fish AND most all worked great!

Going up with a group, the newbies are generally well educated about gill holds and proper gear well before arriving at Lake of the Woods.

deertracker

Depending on dates a buddy and I would probably be in.
    DT

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I’d take two spots for sure.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

When the 2018 regs come out we will be able to plan the date. I do know it will be the weekend following the walleye season closure if that helps at all. It was around the 25th this last year that we went. There was no shortage of active fish up river, down river and in the Gap.

Attachments:
    1. Boatside-Sturgie.png

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Season dates are out there:

Oct 1 2017 through April 23 2018 catch and release only.
    April 24, 2018 season open to keep one fish 45-50 inches or over 75 inches.

***Walleye season closes April 14, 2018.

-J.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

the newbies are generally well educated about gill holds and proper gear well before arriving at Lake of the Woods.

Brian, that is not what I see when I’m up there.
    30 minute fights for 40# fish.
    Rare to see a net.
    10 minutes photo sessions.

I don’t like disagreeing with you Brian one bit bud, but the last time I spent 6 days on the river I was quite disappointed each day with the high percentage not doing the fish any favors…. These being the same people who would go out of their way to preach save handling of walleyes.

No intention of dragging the thread down. Just reminding everyone that it is a great time to stock up ahead of the trip with the appropriate gear.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I announced the dates above in the original post. -)

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

…With a twist. Kruger Farms will be involved.

Just curious, how would Kruger Farms be involved?

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>
    the newbies are generally well educated about gill holds and proper gear well before arriving at Lake of the Woods.

Brian, that is not what I see when I’m up there.
    30 minute fights for 40# fish.
    Rare to see a net.
    10 minutes photo sessions.

I don’t like disagreeing with you Brian one bit bud, but the last time I spent 6 days on the river I was quite disappointed each day with the high percentage not doing the fish any favors…. These being the same people who would go out of their way to preach save handling of walleyes.

No intention of dragging the thread down. Just reminding everyone that it is a great time to stock up ahead of the trip with the appropriate gear.

Well one of the very good things about this forum is that many of us are knowledgeable and most are willing to share accurate advice and information. I would expect all participants in this event would have gathered enough information and proper equipment prior to boats going in the water. I can see that the anticipation leading up to the event will include many posts of advisement. Furthermore, there may be boat sharing where those that are short of proper equipment or expertise may fish in another boat with all the needs.

I will plan on attending and this is something I have never done but have always wanted to try. So the window has opened for me come next April. yay

jon amundson

Fbrm have you seen any floater or dead sturgeon. I have spent a lot of time on rainy spring and fall mostly and have not seen any. Just curious not trying to argue. Almost all (85%+) of sturgeon I catch or see caught seem to be as healthy or healthier than any where else(more damage from lampreys than fisherman). I agree proper gear is a necessary when targeting them but by catches by walleye guys would be better off landing and unhooking rather than leaving hooks and tackle in sturgeon by just cutting/ breaking line by over powering gear to reduce fight times.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

*How is Kruger Farms involved?*
    Prizes and giveaways! Everybody like prizes right?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Andy, you missed the first part when you quoted me…

Going up with a group, the newbies are generally well educated about gill holds

Folks going up on their own seldom read the DNR info on how to get ready and hold fish. We are not disagreeing at all. waytogo

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Everybody like prizes right?

peace I do!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Andy, you missed the first part when you quoted me…

Going up with a group, the newbies are generally well educated about gill holds

Folks going up on their own seldom read the DNR info on how to get ready and hold fish. We are not disagreeing at all. waytogo

BK, Look again. I did not quote you…FB&RM quoted you. My post was more a response to FB&RM.

Everybody like prizes right?

peace I do!

Hopefully they have some “Frying Saucers” as prizes!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Now that would be cool wouldn’t it!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

While I agree that handling fish properly is important we shouldn’t lose sight of something here. I think many of these people fishing are following a “hot trend”. Making a event out of a trip to Rainy with their friends. Often these people never fish for large fish Pike, Muskie, Sturgeon, Cats ect. They may not have the correct gear and many can’t afford to go out and drop $100 on a net for a once a year trip. Perhaps some of you guys here that have multiple nets, rods, reels ect. suitable for Sturgeon can make some of this equipment available for the once a year guys?

Not looking for a fight, just making a observation. grin

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Judging from past IDO Sturgeon events I don’t think this will be an issue. That is why I posted this event on IDO because of the education of the folks here as it pertains to Sturgeon/Cats/Musky and the like. Between now and the event if people feel they have gear not adequate to handle 40+ pound fish they have the time to do something about it.
    Thanks for your comment.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Now I’m confused…Who’s on first? Andy or Andy?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:

BK, Look again. I did not quote you…FB&RM quoted you. My post was more a response to FB&RM.

my name is Andy.
    Nice to meet you Andy!

I was looking for Andy’s (fbrm) post on Sturgeon 101 from a few years back. It was an awesome check list!

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

as of now my son and I are very interested for the event

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Hey BK….You wanna try to beat the wife in a shot of Fireball? Flicker and myself are in.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.