The Cedars on the drop in this area

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

We went catfish bobber fishing with bluegills this afternoon and I thought the river would be coming up with the recent local rains puting new water back into the timbers for some decent pole fish. We got there and baited up with live bluegills and threw our bait as close to the drifting floating logs that were kept inplace by the standing trees as we could. When we got there we noticed the cottonwood seeds on the top of the water were moving back twards the river and thought maybe theres still a good bite. We fished for another two hours and when we left we were bottom fishing with cutup bluegills and the whole time we were there we didn’t hook into anything worth taking home, not even a 1 1/2 lb. fish so we figured we didn’t get enough rain up north the last couple days. Around here when the waters on its way down the fish leave those flooded areas and im thinking as soon as they sense the waters droping or very soon afterwards. Miss it by a couple days after the waters starts it way down and I think the really good bites over. The next time we get a good rain up river we’ll hit the flooded timber again. The big bullfrogs were really sounding off while we were there, we heard 3 really big old ones. Right now sizzeling in the frying pan in butter, I might be back out on the river sooner then the next good rain.

honda75
    Iowa

Just an FYI also the city of waverly is not putting the boards on the dam this summer so the river won’t be up an extra foot above the dam this summer. Just their way in my opinion to ruin the recreation above the dam so it is another step in their direction to put in a stupid inflatable dam. Without the boards on the dam late July into August and further on the river will be hardly navagatable. I can’t believe they are actually thinking of putting this inflatable dam in………………. The same guy that is in charge of this is the same guy who had a great idea of raising a street in waverly after the 1993 floods said it would help in return all it did was make a dam for the water to flood the SE part of the city worse and cost the city a few million to build it up and now they went back in and lowered the road. Sorry needed to vent but their ideas are a JOKE!

baldwin4
    NE IA

What will the inflatable dam accomplish? Will it clean the sediment out better when they deflate it?

honda75
    Iowa

They claim they can deflate it when the flood waters come so that the town won’t flood as bad. Sounds like total bs to me but what do we know we aren’t engineers………..

THey were offered a free dredger what I was told from shell rock products a few years ago to dredge above the dam but they declined it. Said they didn’t have anywhere to take the silt…….. HHHMMM I know alot of people that would take it for fill and why not pile it up on one of the islands on the river????? Some stuff just makes to much sense I guess.

baldwin4
    NE IA

Drove over the Cedar up river from you in Waverly. The river is up and coming your way. We had areas of local heavy rains of over 3″ in a hour. Heck, it is raining here right now.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks Baldwin I’ll make plans for tomorrow and a few days after to fish a couple flooded timbers. Any of you guys catching any females with eggs still in them, channels and flats. They were very close to spawning 10 days ago.

baldwin4
    NE IA

I have not been out fishing Had shoulder surgery May 27th. Hopefully I can get out next month for a boat ride and some river jigging on P9 or P10

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The docs say keep your shoulder limber by useing it, I guess they heal better that way, good reason to throw a pole, imagine that, throwing a pole heals the shoulder faster. I went out as the storm was coming in to check my garden and water level and all heck broke loose with high winds that were breaking limbs and drenching rain, sheets of it going sideways. The rivers come up about a foot from the rain they got up in the Waverly/Shellrock area 3-4 days ago. Im going to try to get back out on the river in the flooded timbers and creeks befor the water goes back down, the fishing should be good with the water on the rise.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.