Set our ditty poles tonight.

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

And theres a really good bite right now. We set 2 poles at an entry to a creek and another 4 back up in the creek aways. When we came out we had a 9 pound channel on one of the first poles, we weren’t back in the creek 15 minutes befor we came back out and seen we had a fish on. The waters coming up about 2″ in 3 hrs which is fairly fast after we set a marker at the waterline. Were thinking the bites going to be really good tonight so if you guys that fish the Cedar are thinking about fishing, it should be good tonight. We got 3 flatheads last night, one was 15 pounds and the other two were smaller.

tweedlap11

And the sport is………..?

tweed

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

And the sport is………..?

tweed

It is fishing!

I assume it is something you have never tried but it sounds like fun to me!

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Quote:

And the sport is………..?

tweed

It is fishing!

Exactamundo! You go and seine or catch enough bait for your lines to be baited a couple times. I set them usually before dark, go back to camp for roasting weenies or such over the camp fire and a major BS secession with my buddies. And run them again 3-5 hours after we started setting them the first time. Pull the fish off and make sure all lines have bait. Back to camp for some more BS and maybe some sleep, then start running them just before dawn.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Its not the same as useing dynamite, you do have to get bait, find the spots with the rising and lowering water, conditions do change. Shove the poles back into the bank, set the length of line from the end of the pole to just under the surface of the water. Conditions change hourly and daily so you have to set poles with the conditions. Check them regularily like guys that know how to fish do. Keep a hook sharpener or an extra line you can tie off incase the hook dulls. Always keep fresh bait for flatheads which involves building a baitcage with a lid on it with a hasp to keep the coons out. Make sure the dehooker is in its propper place so you can easily take the hook out instead of fighting to try to get the hook out, thier easy to make out of an old broom handle and a coathanger, not much thinking involved there. Theres quite a bit involved in dittypoleing, infact its alot of work but some wouldn’t know. By the way for the guys who know the bites really good right now and thats why im up early so I don’t loose fish, thats what sportsman do,,,or should if they can.

Oh by the way George is 75 and an old commercial catfisherman that nows lives here on the edge of town. He had back surgery last year because he was in terrible pain. He had surgery but still can’t sit long because of the discomfort he still has. I like George and I fish with him becuase he needs help getting over the side of his jon boat, I have to hold onto him or him me as he steps over the side. I have to also help him walk to the back and front of his boat to sit on the seat. I get bluegills for bait for him and I because he can’t do it on his own, imiagine that, can’t even catch his own bait. He manages to sit long enough while going from pole to pole and thats about it, then thats enough for him until we check them again, he can’t take his own fish off the lines on the pole but he still enjoys getting out there and fishing,,,,,Dittypoles, and so do I, especially with a good old boy like George, they don’t come no better then a guy like him.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

And I’ll bet he appreciates it just as much or more than a 5 or 6 year old.

stuart
    Mn.

Mossy,you really dont need to explain yourself and why you fish this LEAGLE way.
    Growing up down there my family put in many nights on the Cedar trot lining and BOBBY poling,alot of work but also a heck of a lot of fun.
    Heres to you and George enjoying many more nights together.
    I’m leaving now to hook up with my friends from down home to chase some of Iowas slabs for a week and I just might set a bank line or two while I’m there.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya I know Stuart but to some its still not sporting and I explained theres more to fishing then just baiting a hook, you know what I mean.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

got a lot of great memories of all-night bankpoling – as we called it – back in the day, also on the cedar – cedar creek that is, a small stream down our way.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

If it was “LEAGAL” up here I might give it a shot. Do I think its sporting, well not really. Im sure its an effective way to put a meal on the table though.

carpdoctor
    Springville, IA

I am glad to hear that you are doing so well. We plan on going this weekend on the Cedar.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.