Anyone been fishing?

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Has anyone been hitting any open water and/or ice fishing the river with or without any luck?

walleye_wisdom

So either no one has been out, or there is a massively good bite that no one has time to get to a computer and report on…. Hmmmm….

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Ice fishing the lakes have kept everyone too busy to mess with the river

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Theres very few people fishing it around here. As of a couple days ago there was very little open water except the immediate areas below the dams. Down river aways where the waters slower its froze, when its a warm spell those areas are open.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Ice fishing the lakes has been pretty decent so I haven’t tried the river. If it ever warms up I’ll give it a shot. Post something if you get out there.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Hopefully sometime in the next couple of weeks I’ll be able to get out, after a dismal fall and early winter at work I haven’t had the time or the ambition to get out, but I’m definitely starting to get the itch.

walleye_wisdom

Well then i’m glad i’m not missing out on anything! I don’t think these temps this week are going to any help to open water…

Brian Lyons

These temps are going to bring on a great ice bite on the river

Won’t be long now

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I wasen’t able to spend any time on the Cedar Last year so I wasen’t able to see what the flood did. I heard it did good things in a few areas and im sure some of the back waters didn’t change much. Theres areas round here where theres cuts going back into the river bottom from just a few yards to a few hundred feet that hold river crappies. I’ve caught crappies in the snags in those cuts and Im going to have to check those places out again and see whats in there. There are quite a few places that have those cuts that hold nice river crappies. I just look for slower water areas and troll slowly over them and watch my finder, if I get any returns I fish there. I start out with smaller minnows in 40 degree water then as it warms and gets cloudier I go to bigger minnows. I’ve never gotten into really big schools but have found areas where a dozen fish are caught around spawning time. The fish are in the general vicinity all year long and groups tighten up during the spawn. Its going to be nice to be able to get out on open water here in a few months.

walleye_wisdom

anyone have any updates for those of us who are not fortunate enough to get out…

baldwin4
    NE IA

Quote:

anyone have any updates for those of us who are not fortunate enough to get out…

Alot of boats out above the dam today in Waverly Getting aintsie to pull the boat out

ducky
    Waterloo, Iowa

Picked up 4 nice eater eyes, 2 smallies and 2 buffalo on the Cedar on Friday, fishing from shore, 7-8′ of water, firetiger mimic minnow.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Got a couple Friday too, wanted it slow. The weather will make things interesting.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Got out Saturday in the afternon and the river was coming up like crazy, water clarity was poor when we started, nonexistent by the time we quit. Hopefully with the ice and snow gone it will clean up quickly.

iansdad123
    waterloo,ia

got a hour in at sun up this morning.good fishing,just no catching.

walleye_wisdom

I’m hoping to get a couple days of fishing over spring break, but who knows if I really will or not… To busy..

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Tried for a couple hours on Sunday. River looks great in Cedar Falls, but the fish haven’t showed up yet. Whoever is running the dam needs to pay attention, all the water was running through the gates with nothing going over the dam. That screwed up the flow more than a little.

OohMiracle
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Quote:

I’m hoping to get a couple days of fishing over spring break, but who knows if I really will or not… To busy..

I bet I could talk to gregeye78 And have him work you some overtime, and him and I will get out on the river

ducky
    Waterloo, Iowa

If anyone wants to get out on Friday, let me know, I might be able to put you on some fish. You gotta bring the bait and the boat though.

walleye_wisdom

Really funny! I actually was able to sneak out twice from work and hit the river this week!

No fish all week until yesterday. I was just north of Janesville and caught 2 smallies, one was about 15-16″ and then one 15-16″ Walleye.

My buddy lost something huge, not sure what it was, but it was big. Stayed on the bottom, thumped slow like a walleye, but i didn’t want to rub it in that he probably lost a huge walleye… I also lost two smaller fish, probably smallies due to how active they were on my line.

All fish came off cranks.

iansdad123
    waterloo,ia

fished shell rock at clarksville couple hours sat night,threw and lost everything but the kitchen sink ,got one redhorse,stopped at washinton access and watched a boat just down fron bridge on east side catch small walleyes but caught nothing …looks like walleye wisdom needs to work more overtime if hes outfishing me locally

iansdad123
    waterloo,ia

sounds like a winner

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I saw some northerns caught and got a 14″ eye. Nothing too hot and heavy, but based on the number of people out something must be getting caught. Wind was brutal Sunday night which made it difficult.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Got enough today for the Friday night fish fry

walleye_wisdom

Got out for a couple hours this morning on the bike and rode to the river. Didn’t have any luck with the water coming up and fast, but again with the strong cold wind I didn’t try to hard…

I did find what may be an awesome place for some spring pike

walleye_wisdom

Got out a bit after dinner tonight and had one nice fish on for about 5 seconds before he decided he didn’t like having hooks in his mouth and spit them out. Didn’t get to see it, so i’m going to say it was a 40″ Walleye, new world record.

This was below the dam in Cedar Falls.

ducky
    Waterloo, Iowa

Anyone want to go out tomorrow sometime? Im free all day, email me if you want to go.
    Rich

walleye_wisdom

Tried for a bit today, no luck. Had one small pike follow. I was mostly casting a spoon in shallow backwaters looking for some big slimey green things. Talked to some weird guy, he didn’t have much luck either….

OohMiracle
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Hey wisdom
    I think I talked to that weird guy also today. was he driving a black Suburban?

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I’ve seen that guy with the black suburban

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.