Storing Plastics

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Anyone have any advice on effective and inexpensive ways to store plastics? I looked at the little binders but I have about 100 bags and don’t want to spend that much. I end up throwing the bags inside large ziplocs which means I can never find what I want when I want it. I’m sure someone has a hack that works well.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

How about more smaller ziploc bags and group and label like/ similar packages?

Dan
    Southeast MN

I guess what I do is I have a small-ish Cabela’s bag, kind of like a range bag, that I keep mine in, and there’s a strap that I can throw across my shoulder. I’m curious to see what other responses you get cause I’d be willing to try other methods.

This is kind of embarrassing to admit, I don’t know if anyone else is in this situation….but I kind of have too much stuff. So a lot of times I’ll pick out what I think I’m going to want/need and just head out with them versus my entire arsenal.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The embarrassing part is I buy more stuff because I can’t find the stuff I have. I try to keep certain tackle types segregated for easy/quick access but it’s not working. I end up mixing all of my plastics together even though I label the ziplocs so about once a month I have to re-sort. It’s then that I realize I have 8 bags purple/chart moxies.

Don’t even get me going on crankbaits…..

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I leave mine in the original bags then put them in gallon ziplock bags and label them according to type of plastic (ie. worms, creature baits, walleye baits, dropshot etc).

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I will take a pic of what I do for bass plastics if I think of it tonight. I take big 4″ loop snap rings (like for big note cards) and hook together all of one type of plastic. Then I take those (maybe 4 diff types of worms, and but them in a clear bin with latches.

Its easy and water proof, and when I need senkos, or twister tails, or flat tails or whatever. All worms are in one bin and each type is in on a ring. Don’t have to take them off rings to open them either.

Attachments:
    1. plastic-bin.jpg

2. rings.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I leave mine in the original bags then put them in gallon ziplock bags and label them according to type of plastic (ie. worms, creature baits, walleye baits, dropshot etc).

I this now and it’s not working. Mainly because I don’t have enough patience to put them back in the right bags.

Pete, Evan, those both look like good options. The KVD bags are cheaper than I would have expected.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Hang peg bord in garage by your boat. Hang your over stock on the peg board like the bait shops do.

munchy
    NULL

I have a bunch of these Document Bags from Home Depot. Sort them by however you like. I like how they have a big label pocket on the front, divider inside, easy to open(KVD speed bags have a curved zipper that are kind of a pain), as well as 99% water proof and hook proof. I just throw what I plan on using for the day into the boat and go. I can hold about 20 standard bags in each.

When I went onto the website to get the link I noticed they are labeled as Discontinued however I just picked up another 6 at Rochester HD for $3.48 each this weekend and they had about 10 more so they may still be on the shelves at your store.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-in-Document-Bag-82012N11/203224009

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Just clear see-through plastic containers with locking lids is perfect for me. I carry 3, one for bass, walleye, and panfish. They stack neatly in the side compartments. If you get them in the fishing department they cost nearly double. I think I got mine at FF in homegoods….couple bucks.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

I this now and it’s not working. Mainly because I don’t have enough patience to put them back in the right bags.

I don’t either while I’m on the water. My boat is typically a disaster after a day of fishing and just reorganize after I get home. I’m not sure there’s a good answer to be honest.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I don’t either while I’m on the water. My boat is typically a disaster after a day of fishing and just reorganize after I get home. I’m not sure there’s a good answer to be honest.

Since the boats been in marina all year I miss those clean up days so bad. Guy might not have time to go fish but finding 20 min to hop in the boat, reorganize, cleanup here and there was just as theraputic.

Just one bin for walleyes eyeguy? That better be a big freaking bin! jester

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Since the boats been in marina all year I miss those clean up days so bad. Guy might not have time to go fish but finding 20 min to hop in the boat, reorganize, cleanup here and there was just as theraputic.

Just one bin for walleyes eyeguy? That better be a big freaking bin! jester

My wife always asks me what I could possibly be doing just “sitting out there in your boat” and everytime I smile and say, making sure I’m ready for the next trip. I don’t think she’ll ever think it’s normal. Ha! It really is kind of theraputic isn’t it?

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

My wife always asks me what I could possibly be doing just “sitting out there in your boat” and everytime I smile and say, making sure I’m ready for the next trip. I don’t think she’ll ever think it’s normal. Ha! It really is kind of theraputic isn’t it?

edit
    My wife always asks me what I could possibly be doing just “sitting out there drinking beer in your boat” and every time I smile and say, I am fantasizing I am on the lake. I don’t think she’ll ever think it’s normal. Ha! It really is kind of theraputic isn’t it? toast

404 ERROR
    MN

XL zip-lock bags with the type of plastic written on the outside, then gallon bags inside that for specific color/pattern breakdowns. I have 3 XL bags (ringworm, paddle and minnow) and 3-4 gallon bags in each “master” bag (Natural, pink/red, blue/green, misc). The bags stay inside an old empty tackle bag.

I’m usually impatient when fishing, so they get mixed up pretty easy but I enjoy organizing em when I get home.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

@nhamm @tuma @mahtofire14

Picked up a trailer for my little boat this past Friday and spent the afternoon getting bunks and rollers adjusted and then actually rigging the boat up since I’ve had to empty all gear after every use this year. About 8pm I finish up and I’m sitting in the boat in the garage having a beer.

Wife comes out to let the dogs out and just stands there, looking at me with this concerned look on her face. She just sighed and went back inside grin

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

waytogo waytogo waytogo

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Wife comes out to let the dogs out and just stands there, looking at me with this concerned look on her face. She just sighed and went back inside

My wife now just looks at me and says I will see you in the morning, have fun.

What about using the portable file cabinet boxes? You can get them water tight and you could put a clip in what every file divider you take your bait out so you can toss it right back into the same spot.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I have a bunch of these Document Bags from Home Depot. Sort them by however you like. I like how they have a big label pocket on the front, divider inside, easy to open(KVD speed bags have a curved zipper that are kind of a pain), as well as 99% water proof and hook proof. I just throw what I plan on using for the day into the boat and go. I can hold about 20 standard bags in each.

When I went onto the website to get the link I noticed they are labeled as Discontinued however I just picked up another 6 at Rochester HD for $3.48 each this weekend and they had about 10 more so they may still be on the shelves at your store.

I just picked up 10 of these at the HD in Plymouth. They probably have another 50 of them sitting on the shelf. I think this is gonna be the ticket.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

@nhamm @tuma @mahtofire14

Picked up a trailer for my little boat this past Friday and spent the afternoon getting bunks and rollers adjusted and then actually rigging the boat up since I’ve had to empty all gear after every use this year. About 8pm I finish up and I’m sitting in the boat in the garage having a beer.

Wife comes out to let the dogs out and just stands there, looking at me with this concerned look on her face. She just sighed and went back inside grin

Ha! Yeah, I know that look well. @Tuma you saw right through me…..

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

I just picked up 10 of these at the HD in Plymouth. They probably have another 50 of them sitting on the shelf. I think this is gonna be the ticket.

Awesome! Hope they work well for ya!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.