St Louis river update 1-24-11

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

This winter has been a different one that’s for sure. It seems as the small 10 inch eyes have taken over the river in force! Today i ventured out and some things have changed for the better.

There is anywhere from 2 to 8 inches of snow on top of the ice, which will allow for a prolonged bite which is nice. Secondly the infamous “crack” which has claimed the dry clothes of numerous anglers, and a few vehicles has healed up, but still use caution because it may open up any day. I drove out there today and the ice was solid in most parts, but i still wouldn’t recommend it for a few days or so. Driving would be impossible without 4 wheel drive.

I managed to do better fish-wise this morning as only a few small 10 incher’s were caught and more fish over 15 were seen which is nice. Shipping season is now over, but still use caution, and don’t go driving all over since there are a few people driving out there, remember it is a river system and there IS current and thin spots out there.

The Custom Jogs and Spins Demon has been hot lately along with the lightning spoon. Firetiger and gold have been the top colors.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Thanks for the update, Grant

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.