St Louis River Report

• poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Well I saw what i feared this morning as i went out onto the river. With all the recent snow accumulations the ice has taken a heavy hit. This is a crack nearly 4 feet wide, and numerous miles long. The ice over it was less than a half inch thick.

BE very careful if you head out in the near future. Don’t drive, or use a snowmobile unless you have a 800 or something where you can skip across the water where the cracks are lol. I walked out this morning and with all the snow and slush it took me nearly a hour to walk 175 yards. It was brutal! I wont likely be on the river again for a week or so as this stuff needs to freeze up. Looks like some panfish, or open water trout for the next week. Laker season opens on the 1st too but that’s over a week away.

I ended up with 3 this morning and lost one big one. 2 were decent 18 inchers with one smaller other one, and i dont wanna think about how big the one i lost was .

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That doesn’t sound safe at all! How much snow did you guys get up there?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

10 inches, but there is now about 9 or so on the river along with 1 to 6 inches of slush in some spots. a MESS to say the least! lol

arklite881south

Stay safe Grant!! Those fish will wait for ya!!

Northlander
    Duluth, Mn/Superior,Wi.

Ya Grant its been like that for a few days now and the pull out sucks for sure. Im hoping for some below zero weather to freeze up them cracks and harden that snow. No more perms will be put out for a while thats for sure.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.