Steamboat Bay

• Deron Eilertson
    Rainy Lake

Foe those that may consider fishing in Steamboat Bay during the coming weeks be VERY careful about driving your snow machine, 4 wheeler, or truck across the ice. There are countless chunks of ice from spear holes that could ruin your day or worse. I worry about snowmobilers the most. If you hit one of those at speed you are going to get hurt. Just FYI. Most are snow covered now, which makes them difficult to spot!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Thanks for the heads up. Aside from the ice obstacles, are there any locally known areas of bad ice in Steamboat? Or thin spots? I have a buddy with a place on Steamboat and always wondered how ice conditions were in that area.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

man that stuff really IRKS me!!!! flame flame i’m an avid spear chucker…….throw them ice chunks back in the hole……..or break them up in small chunks. how long can that take. i have also been a recipiant of hitting one of them with my snowmobile.

Deron Eilertson
    Rainy Lake

Lindyrig,

As you know there are lots of shallow rice beds and shallow water in general up there. Seems like there is plenty of spring activity and I have come across bad areas before. None this year , but last year there was a couple random open areas. I try to avoid travel in and around the rice or other visible vegetation just to avoid shallow springs. That said I have driven my truck plenty in Steamboat.

To sum it up travel cautiously your first time…and every time I guess!

Deron Eilertson
    Rainy Lake

man that stuff really IRKS me!!!! flame flame i’m an avid spear chucker…….throw them ice chunks back in the hole……..or break them up in small chunks. how long can that take. i have also been a recipiant of hitting one of them with my snowmobile.

Me too. Hate to hit one with any kind of speed…

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Lindyrig,

As you know there are lots of shallow rice beds and shallow water in general up there. Seems like there is plenty of spring activity and I have come across bad areas before. None this year , but last year there was a couple random open areas. I try to avoid travel in and around the rice or other visible vegetation just to avoid shallow springs. That said I have driven my truck plenty in Steamboat.

To sum it up travel cautiously your first time…and every time I guess!

Thanks Deron. That’s kinda what I thought. Just a massive area of shallow water and tons of rice and vegetation – my gut said there could be bad areas. I personally try to avoid areas like this, just not worth it to me. Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.