St. Croix Opener Report

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

How busy was william o brian? Im guessing Osceola and Franconia most likely filled up early morning.

Osceola lot was full at 7:45. Rigs parked from there down into the park. Both on the road where they have no parking signs and on the park grass areas. We parked on the grass. I did not see any ticketing. Pulled out at 4:30 and there were several place to park for the evening folks.

-J.

is the water deep enough to run a 19ft boat in the Osceola and Franconia area?

The river up that way should stay a solid 2′ above historic norms for the next week. If you look at the google maps satellite images, you should be able to figure your options to navigate easily, those show a more normal river height.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Nice reports everyone. Good to see those big fish caught by Fishwater and crew. I drove by the Boomsite sunday morning and was suprised to see only a handful of trailers in the lot at 11 am. Didn’t get out this weekend, but plan to sometime this month.

oldlund

Guys , I can’t catch any eyes north of obrian, I troll raps up down all around, fast , slow , shallow, deep , can’t get them to hit , mostly shad raps all colors. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Trolling doesnt seem to be as good for me up that way either as compared to other places like pool 2. Not sure why that is. When I do get into them there seems to be a lot of sorting of smaller fish. Holding the rods and pulsing them forward and back may help. Maybe try something like trolling rattle traps. I do know very early morning can be best for trolling up there. Used to run into guys that where done and loading up by 9 or 10 am.

With that stretch of river being so shallow I think a lot of those walleyes like to hid under cover. Places that a trolled crank might not get into. Tough to get those cranks down under some of those trees and not just get snagged up.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The line of trollers was mind boggling opening morning. All in a row, cranking along the shoreline, nobody really getting anything from what I saw. Only people I saw catch trolling were on planer boards really hitting the inside seam, and they still weren’t as far in as us.

Mikes reports, especially this one has lead me to more eyes in high water than most any other tactic. Thanks Mike!
    https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/fishing/reports/1284761/

red89
    Hudson

So walleye season opened on April 29th. I’m really confused why bass fishing on the St.Croix does not open until May 27th. Wisconsin inland opener is May 6th. Must just be some stupid border water regulation issue?..

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Bass spawn later. Protect from overharvest.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think he’s referring to catch and release and eluding to the fact that bass will be open within mn and wi by the mn walleye opener but you have to wait til the end of May to fish them on the st croix.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I think you will need to call the DNR if you need an answer.
    Its the way it is and always has been. No big deal.

red89
    Hudson

I think he’s referring to catch and release and eluding to the fact that <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass will be open within mn and wi by the mn <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye opener but you have to wait til the end of May to fish them on the st croix.

Right, So I guess the reason is because the bass harvest season in MN is the 27th, so since the st.croix is a border water, they have to wait until the 27th to comply with MN rules, even though WI bass opener is the 6th. MN bass catch and release is the 13th. Just confusing and funny that there are so many different dates, but on the Mississippi the season is continuous…

skinnywater

It’s to protect the few remaining smallmouth in the St. Croix

red89
    Hudson

That bad, huh? I haven’t been out there in probably 15 years, so no idea what the bass fishing is like.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

A little bird told me the Croix had a lot of debris on the opener and running cranks might be a little tough.

How is it looking now? I was looking to fish from the Prescott to Hudson.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There were big balls of grass coming down the river by Stillwater every 1/2 hour or so. I only pitched jigs when I was out and had no problems with debris other than the occasional small branch but that’s pretty normal.

Although the river has been rising since opener. There may be more debris.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Was out yesterday between afton and hudson. Fishing was slow, water was fast and cold at about 48. There was quite a few logs and debris in the water. Fish seem really scattered and probably in transition. A few warm days and consistent weather should help.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Thanks y’all, maybe I will stick to Pool 2.

matt

Caught fish Tuesday and Wednesday north of Stillwater dragging jigs.Alot more debris coming down on Wed. and the dang wind didnt make for easy boat control.Would get on a group of fish and catch multiple fish of different species in one tight spot then it would slow down so i would go in search of a different spot with similar features and repeat the same process over.Kept 3sauger and 2walleye over the two days,caught crappies,whitebass,smallies,pike,and sheepies.Not the best but could have been worse.

slimmer157

Saturday we fished Prescott to kinny managed 2 keepers. Pretty slow, rigging 20ft. Worked best

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Fished out of log house landing yesterday. Water is very high. Once we found the right current seam the fish where piled up pretty good. Problem was they were mostly sheephead. Did get a few nice cat fish to.

Attachments:
    1. 20170506_125437.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I made it out a couple hours last night after work for the first time this season and caught 10 eyes and 1 sheep. Only one of the eyes was a keeper. 19 feet give or take a foot was my best depth using crawlers. Good action just no meal.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

caught 10 eyes, Only one of the eyes was a keeper.

That has been my ‘ratio the past two weeks and it is starting to pizz me off, even though I run from little fish in search of bigger.. I’m not having much luck changing that dink to Eater ratio. I get no enjoyment pulling up Littles

bradl110

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    caught 10 eyes, Only one of the eyes was a keeper.

That has been my ‘ratio the past two weeks and it is starting to pizz me off, even though I run from little fish in search of bigger.. I’m not having much luck changing that dink to Eater ratio. I get no enjoyment pulling up Littles

That’s because a lot of the bigger females are post spawn. They are hanging out suspended over deeper, soft bottom areas. Had a buddy last week catch a 29 on the croix suspended over 35ft of water with a handful of other 20+ inch fish.

matt

Kept 3 around 16″ yesterday and one sauger.If wanted I could have kept a limit easily,they were snapping pretty good.Dragging jig/minnow,vertical jig/minnow,trolling cranks,dubuque with plastics.

Attachments:
    1. 20170509_222005.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ll be getting some better ones. You can count on that.
    I have no interest in the giants. I’m very happy with 16-20.

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.