St. Croix Opener GTG

• cougareye
    Hudson, WI

With the St. Croix walleye fishing opener set for April 28th this year, we’ll do our annual GTG the Thursday prior.

So April 26th, Shiner’s Bar and Grill in Lakeland/Afton area just south of Interstate 94.

5:30 pm – Shiner’s has a big room off to the side, good food, sports bar atmosphere.

Come out and meet fellow St. Croix anglers and make some new friends. It’s a long standing tradition!!

Eric

buschman
    Pool 2

I hope to make it over there this year to say hi.. Never been

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ll be out of town…the way it’s going, ice fishing around the Hutchinson area lakes. crazy

Someone buy Suzuki a beer for me!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

St. Croix river rats, let’s get a role call going! Would love to get a good turnout again this year. Heck, it’s fun every year, some years we get 5-6 people and some years we get 15-16.

Who can make it in 2018?
    We may need to discuss how to dodge ice chunks on the opener!

ET

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have a confession. I’ve known of this gtg for many many years but have been unable to make it every year. Thursday night is hockey night for me unfortunately. I’ve fished the opener almost every year for about 10 years.

Wish I could make it. bawling

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I plan to be there. Wouldn’t miss it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Pretty sure I cant make it this year but will know once we get closer.

watisituya
    North Metro

I’m pumped for the opener!

How thick is the ice down by the 94 bridge-south? Or is there any? Curious if the pay launch in Hudson will be ice free? I haven’t been that way since last fall.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I’m pumped for the opener!

How thick is the ice down by the 94 bridge-south? Or is there any? Curious if the pay launch in Hudson will be ice free? I haven’t been that way since last fall.

Still quite a bit of ice south of 94 last time I drove by… last week sometime?

I’ve never fished the Croix in April or early May — has their been years when ice was an issue?

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

A bunch of us were talking about the April 28th opener last night. It’s hard to imagine with the extended forecast that there will be no ice. Good bet the lake parts of the Croix will have ice or ice moving around with the wind. At best. At worst, we may only have the neck down areas to fish with the need to launch near one and stay there.

My guess is that it will be largely ice free, but only by the slimmest of margins. Best idea is to come to Shiners on Apr 26th and discuss this over a few cold ones!

ET

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

The river is breaking up nicely by Stillwater. The ice South of Stillwater looks weak but is still holding shore to shore. The shorelines North of Prescott look rough but are still holding. I’m not certain how much ice is on the river but with 32″ of ice on Balsam as of Friday, April 13th you can be sure that there is at least 24″ on the river.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think ill take a tour of the ramps around Osceola this weekend. If the river doesnt flood out might be a pretty good opener this year.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

In looking at the rise of the Croix, it’s going to take so pretty cold weather over the next week to keep that ice from going down steam. Add rain, wind and warm temps and it’s going faster.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Go! GO! GO YOU STUPID ICEBERG!

The only time I cheer for ice is to encourage its departure. See ya later frozen junk! wave

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Dad and I were talking about hitting the Croix opener this year. How busy will the ramps be? Thinking Beanies, Windmill or the Wash Cty Park one around 6-7am. Will the river be a zoo this year???

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Think ill take a tour of the ramps around Osceola this weekend. If the river doesnt flood out might be a pretty good opener this year.

Right out my backyard

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Beanies and Windmill will have shuttles. I haven’t been to the Wash Cnty Park on opener so I can’t comment except that they have less parking.

There’s always groups in the “channels” but like Red Wing there’s other places to find fish (then the dam). You’ll be fine. Be prepared to be checked by the MN and WI DNR…sometimes several times.

Not a big deal they’re just doing their job.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dave, you aren’t still using lead weights are you? We’re trying to keep Mother pristine.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Dave, you aren’t still using lead weights are you? We’re trying to keep Mother pristine.

I have been experimenting with plutonium weights. They seem to attract fish that live near power plants.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

How late do you guys figure you’ll be there?

phoyem
    Minneapolis

I do pretty well on the croix for walleye, but I will admit I’m a pretty one dimensional fisherman. Troll cranks in areas of current and points; slower with bottom bouncers in cold weather and faster as things heat up in the summer switching more to lead and planers.

Do you guys think this same approach could work for the opener this year given the much colder than usual water temp? Not looking for secret spots, but any areas related to a recent spawn that might be better? Do you think cranks trolled slow enough would have a chance of producing?

I fish usually between bayport and afton btw

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Trolling cranks will work. It always does. If I could troll through the ice I would

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

We have been trolling cranks since the end of January on pool 2. Just need to adjust speed and style of crankbait.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Good to know. Will most likely be giving it a try in that case!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Looks like it’ll be no wake before opening day. bawling

Attachments:
    1. 58B2BCE4-62C7-4656-A4AC-4676A9DC2D16.png

craig s

Well, at least the weather looks promising for opener?
    I have a feeling it’s gonna be a muddy/ dirty river next weekend..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’ve invited a group of 10 sailboaters. whistling

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bzzsaw wrote:</div>

I’ve invited a group of 10 sailboaters. whistling

Hmmm.. I think I would rather rub elbows with the Volleyball players.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.