Spring?

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

A slow thaw would really benefit everyone. Repeated rain events while the frost is still in-place will only send the runoff from North to the ditches, rivers, and right on through the River rapidly flushing things without filling the backwater areas for crucial spawning periods.

Locally on the banks of Pool 4 the snow not piled up by plows or tucked on the North side of structures will be gone by the end of the week. We’re counting on that snow up north to melt slowly and steadily to raise the flow and water levels. Locally here near Lake City & Wabasha, a nice 3-4 week window with slightly high water at 8-10′ at the Wabasha gauge is ideal for the spawn, fishability, and not impacting any infrastructure. It’s currently at about 6.8 feet.

It does take a lot of water to start filling the backwater areas, but don’t ever underestimate mother nature’s Spring storms mixed with ever increasing drain tile, urban runoff, etc. getting water into the system in a hurry. It looks like the NWS is predicting that snow pack from the North or some increasing number of local Spring storms to start changing things soon (see attached image).

Attachments:
    1. WABM5.SSTG_.prob_.weekint.gif

tswoboda

Snow? What snow? My kids were playing on the trampoline this weekend… spring is here! whistling

*photo from last summer for context, the trampoline frame is 3′ tall.

Attachments:
    1. 20220227_122703-scaled.jpg

2. 20220301-115627-2.jpg

CaptainMusky

Some areas have ridiculous amounts of snow for sure! How often has it been in recent memory that the first snow of the year never melted and kept piling up? I dont recall it real recently anyway. The Mississippi River has been froze over below the Sartell dam all winter. I dont recall ever seeing that before.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I must’ve jinxed myself. The forecast is calling for 0.75-1″ of rain this weekend here along Pool 4. flame

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A good slow spring melt would be one of the FEW positives of all the snow we got this winter. I’d also like to see a fair amount of spring rains ( Spread out of course ) it sure would be great to get some of these lake levels back to, or at least close to back to normal levels.
    I see we have some more snow in the forecast for 3 out of the next 6 days. Also not many days with the high temps getting above 30 over the next 15 days. I think its going to be a rather late ice out this year.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Heard a cardinal singing today. Beginning of the end for winter.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’d also like to see a fair amount of spring rains ( Spread out of course ) it sure would be great to get some of these lake levels back to, or at least close to back to normal levels.

A fair portion of the state is still in a drought. People don’t think of that in the winter when the ground is covered in snow and the temps are cold.

The rivers and lakes were the lowest I’ve ever seen them last year. I’ve lived here since 1992. We need a monsoon of moisture this spring.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Saturday looks like mostly rain in the south and snow in the north. If this map proves to be accurate, the snow pack is going to really disappear quick in the south. Check out the temperatures in Iowa…70’s!

Attachments:
    1. cfeee7-20220302-canadian-model-saturday-672.png

Angler II

Saturday looks like mostly rain in the south and snow in the north. If this map proves to be accurate, the snow pack is going to really disappear quick in the south. Check out the temperatures in Iowa…70’s!

The good news is that up north has LOTS of snow.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

So sad. First good sledding last weekend and now it could be over. #%$@&*

steelslinger71

We have zero snow here in the Worthington area. We have had bare ground for most of the winter. The honkers and specks have been migrating through the area the last couple of days.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lol I this seems to happen to you every winter! Good snow in February and then it melts away! Tough being a snowmobile owner in this climate.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

need to head to the grand rapids area sir … They have plenty.

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

La Crosse area March 1 saw first MOTORCYCLE! By next week neighbors’ yard will be snow free. At least the River got ice to fish-but who knows, that could go away quick roll

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Not much of a warm up in the 10 day forecast, unfortunately.

Attachments:
    1. 928094-20220307-6-to-10-day-outlook-1100.png

Justin riegel

The Weather Channel has forecast temps for the 40s starting on Sunday and reaching 50 by the following weekend. Seems as though spring will finally arrive.

Adam Steffes

This cracks me up because in october and november people complain about how winters were so much harsher 20 years ago and we are getting less and less time on the ice. Then in march everyone is so ready for winter to be over already. Lol

Ripjiggen

It isn’t much different than the beginning and the end for most things.
    Like a roller coaster. Fun on the first drop and turn. Get me off this damn thing before I puke by the end. jester

Hoyt4
    NULL

Keep the ice i still have some ice fishing to do. The ice can stay until i leave for turkey hunting in a few weeks.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It isn’t much different than the beginning and the end for most things.
    Like a roller coaster. Fun on the first drop and turn. Get me off this damn thing before I puke by the end. jester

LOL that’s pretty accurate most of the time.

I think most people that live here just enjoy the changing of the seasons. Its a big reason why I choose to live here. There are certain activities I look forward to during each of the four seasons, and I’m sick of winter activities, while looking forward to spring ones. I just hope we have a real spring and we don’t go directly from winter to summer. It would be nice to give my energy bills a break for a while.

CaptainMusky

I think most people that live here just enjoy the changing of the seasons. Its a big reason why I choose to live here. There are certain activities I look forward to during each of the four seasons, and I’m sick of winter activities, while looking forward to spring ones. I just hope we have a real spring and we don’t go directly from winter to summer. It would be nice to give my energy bills a break for a while.

I used to be a snow lover when I snowmobiled a ton. Now I see it has a major inconvenience. I do enjoy all the seasons however. Fall is my favorite. If we could shorten winter and lengthen Fall that would be great.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Significant warm up predicted next week!

Attachments:
    1. 21d831-20220308-twin-cities-area-forecast-1332.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

5 degrees for a low tonight tho. LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID GIMRUIS!!! rotflol rotflol

CaptainMusky

Good. Im tired of all the ice in my driveway. North facing and house really shades it so once it gets snow covered its a mess. Next house will definitely face any direction but North.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

5 degrees for a low tonight tho. LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID GIMRUIS!!! rotflol rotflol

I blame it on the weather terrorists! smash

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Good. Im tired of all the ice in my driveway. North facing and house really shades it so once it gets snow covered its a mess. Next house will definitely face any direction but North.

Before we bought our current home, I never really gave a thought to which way it faces, but now that I have a south-facing driveway, it is glorious (except that my garage becomes a kiln in the summer)! rotflol

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Ugh, that was a chilly walk with the dog this morning. flame

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

but now that I have a south-facing driveway, it is glorious (except that my garage becomes a kiln in the summer)!

Yes, this is me too. Never gave any thought to it before I bought this house.

I will not be buying another house with a south or west facing deck or patio though. I have no interest in sitting out there in the summer and roasting away in the sun.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I will not be buying another house with a south or west facing deck or patio though. I have no interest in sitting out there in the summer and roasting away in the sun.

Yeah, my parents have a beautiful deck facing SW. It gets brutal in the afternoon. Several years ago, they added a patio on the N side of the house–you get the best of both worlds.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Dude, we’ve had great sledding up here the whole winter. You snooze you loose!

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.