Spring walleye

• Nick sweisberger

Heading to Whetsone Bay on Lake Francis Case around April 14. Was wondering what the best areas would be? Back in the bays? Along the steep banks out on the main reservoir? Plan on using crankbaits and swim baits and a course live bait. Any help would be appreciated.

tornadochaser

Really depends on the water temp. Honestly, since the shore fishing bite gets so good using crappie rigs pre-spawn and casting F9’s, F11’s, and paddletails during the spawn, we don’t take the boat out to FC very often in the spring. The shore fishing bite along the rocks is one of the best 1-2 week stretch of fishing a guy can have in SD, and it usually happens on FC about a week or two before the same type of bite starts going in eastern SD for wader fishing.

When we do fish from the boat, we usually run cranks, either over shallow flats or leadcore in 25-35′, just depends on the water temp, and weather. Lots of guys will vertical jig, but I often wonder if that’s because that’s all they know how to do. If the sun is shining, fan casting a paddle tail & jig up shallow can be productive, but you’ll get your share of white bass and smallmouth as well.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

All depends on the weather. I lived on Lake Francis Case for 2 years, awhile back. When it is on, it’s on. I can recall one year I had family out to fish in mid-late April, and we caught one walleye in 3 days. A few days later I had friends out to fish and we boated hundreds of walleye in a few days. If you can get lucky and time it up to the spawn, it’ll be a fun trip.

Nick sweisberger

When u say fishing the rocks. Are you back in the bays? Know there’s great rocks below Platte Creek that we had great luck last year on May 20. Couldn’t keep them off the line. A lot of boats but seemed like the death troll hooks we were using out fished all the other boats. Also caught them casting to shore with #5 crawfish shad raps.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

My guess is he means the rocks that cover most of the shoreline in Chamberlain and the bridge.

Nick sweisberger

How far a run to Chamberlain by boat is it from Whetstone Bay? We will be staying in Bonsteel.

tornadochaser

When I “fish the rocks” it’s mainly chamberlain. But any of the runs of shoreline riprap can be good in the spring from Mobridge to Yankton.

ara

The drive by boat would be more than you’d want to try, especially with the windy stretches of the river. Better off trailering up and don’t lose the fishing time. We put in at Elm creek or Platte and work up or down from there depending on fishing reports and how loaded certain boat ramps are, that’s a tell tale sign you are close to the right area. We’ve never done any plugs or casting, usually just spinner rigs and trolling, but want to try the rock fishing this year. I’ve always been on the wrong side of it in years past, so we didn’t give it any thought.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I used to have a camper at bonesteel, my mom and dad still do. The campground is full of fisherman, and I will know what’s happening when we get closer. Send me a PM when we get to it and I will share what I know. Hard to tell what the spring will bring, hopefully the water is clear and not chocolate milk from all the run off.

MJM

I was out to Chamberlain 3/26-3/28. River was still mostly ice from Crow Creek and south. Water temps 32.2-.4. River stage passed minor flood stage while we were there (65). boat landings were being closed or not useable. However fishing was good, bite was not aggressive. I looked today and water stage leveled out at just over 67, looks like it may begin to trend downward if flooding downstream continues to lower. I believe both the corps and the SDGFP would like to see the water stage lower before stabilizing it for the walleye spawn/incubation period. Big Bend water temps still in 35 range. I don’t believe the spawn will begin before April 15.

Nick sweisberger

We have decided to go to chamberlain. The American boat ramp is now open and fish are being caught. Suppose to be a snow storm day we go but can’t catch them from the couch.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.