Spirit Lake report for July 11-13th,2003

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

I spent the week-end fishing Spirit Lake.It was a great week-end to spend on the water with awesome weather for us!The walleye are still running on the small side with most of them from 10-13″‘s.We probably put 50 of these small eyes in the boat.Caught them with spinners,vertical jigging,pulling cranks,and slip-bobber fishing.I did get a few nice Perch(10)vertical jigging in 18-20’ of water.I was using a pilkie tipped with a grub.On Saturday alone I caught 7 different types of fish,talk about a great lake to fish.You never know what you’ll run into.I caught a bullhead that went 1#12oz.,and a drum that was 7#2oz.That old drum put up a great fight.Also fished smallies for a few hours each morning and caught alot of smaller ones.

Ryan Hale

walleyes_only
    FORT DODGE IOWA

hey ryan sounds like you had a great time and a great day i made it too storm lake but didnt get anything…….i will have to go to spirit lake some time i have yet to fish that lake…. take care….. alan

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Hey Ryan, nice to hear you guys had a nice weekend! But now it seems you’re trying to take the title of Sheep Head King of Iowa and you know that’s my territory. Now I’m going to either have to get out there and catch more Sheep Head or I’m thinking I might go for a new title of Dog Fish Master of the Midwest. I was reeling in a LM Bass on Battle Lake this weekend and had the biggest Dog Fish I’ve ever seen grab on for several minute. He let go after a bit and that poor bass was tore to shreds. I thought it was a Muskie because it was so big, but I think I got a good enough look to say it was a doggy. Huge fish though. I hate those dang things.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Wade you better watch out,I’m starting to get those drum figured out!
    I fished with Dave Koonce a few weeks back.He brought me some glitter jigs from a guy “Hutch”.Anyway I’m starting to pick up a few walleyes on these jigs and really like them.I think there going to work very well on these natural lakes of NW IA.
    Here is a pic of the moon off of Marble Beach,Spirit Lake.
    Ryan Hale

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.