Spinning reels

• Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Rather than hijacking the inline reel thread, I decided to start a new one.

What are your recommendations for an ice fishing reel for panfishing?

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

can’t go wrong with an okuma ceymar 10. All my ice rods have one on them.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

i rock the Shimano Sienna 500.

ekruger01

i rock the Shimano Sienna 500.

This has been my go to for the last 6-7 years, The old ones are better in my opinion if you can find them. Take this reel for $32 add a $10 carbontex drag washer and some good grease and it will rival most $100 reels on the market.

I run the 500 on my deep water (25′ Plus) panfish and perch rods, and 750’s and 1000’s on my walleye gear.

MX1825

I have Ceymar 10’s and Sienna 500 on my panfish rods. Ceymar 20 on my walleye sticks.

hnd

ceymar 10’s,president 20’s and trion 20’s.

I have a few siennas and they are ok. my confidence is in the listed above.

I also have a few of the higher end gandermountain reels that are really nice too. just can’t find them anymore. i believe they were made by abu garcia.

Hydro
    Brainerd Mn

I have used the Presidents for quite a few years now and really like them also.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I bought a number of Piscifun Carbon X 1000 so far very good .

MX1825

I bought a number of Piscifun Carbon X 1000 so far very good .

I have heard good things about these.

Ryan Schwartz

+1 on the Sienna 500 for my panfish ice setups. I run Shimano for my summer reels too and it has never let me down. Quality stuff.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Everyone has a favorite reel. What’s yours?

I’m a Shimano fanboy so I use a Stradic 1000. At times it’s an overkill, but when I hook into that tank of a crappie, I’m glad it’s a Stradic.

I’ve had enough of fighting sturgeons while crappie fishing that I no longer care to fish for sturgeons.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into those options.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

can’t go wrong with an okuma ceymar 10. All my ice rods have one on them.

Same here. I do clean out as much of the factory Grease as possible and re-lub them with Hot Sauce reel grease and oil. The first one I purchased got a little stiff while fishing outside on a long cold day. Almost any reel I use gets this same treatment.

Brittman

I have Sienna 500s, Ceymar 10s, Abu-Garcia Ice Max, and 13 reels. All do fine, although I seem to now prefer the reels that have a handle that can fold in so I can pack them easier.

I have converted all to carbon-fiber drags and cold temp lubricant.

I usually have one or two people with me that I provide rods to. I have upgraded all my equipment to mid-level performance rods and reels with my personal equipment (I use) maybe a tad higher.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I have Sienna 500s, Ceymar 10s, Abu-Garcia Ice Max, and 13 reels. All do fine, although I seem to now prefer the reels that have a handle that can fold in so I can pack them easier.

I have converted all to carbon-fiber drags and cold temp lubricant.

I usually have one or two people with me that I provide rods to. I have upgraded all my equipment to mid-level performance rods and reels with my personal equipment (I use) maybe a tad higher.

I can echo what was said here.

I have Sienna 500’s on my panfish rods and Ceymar 10’s on my walleye rods. Both are great reels and I have also went to carbon fiber drags also.

I will say I like the older Sienna 500’s (grey) over the newer (black and red) version. If I was to choose one or the other though…..that would be tough. I would probably pick the ceymar because I do like the foam handle for some reason a touch more.

Justin Donson

Always have had good luck a Tica Cetus SB500/SS500. Great little reels!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.