That new Storm square bill crankbait.

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

That thing looks like a knockoff of one of the many square bills that are out there.
    I have used my share of em. Some seem to run better than others, some will not track straight on a fast wind in.
    For me, the Salmo Hornet seems to be one of the better ones, made to run at different depths.
    Some of this big name stuff is beginning to get the reputation of being made just plain cheap.
    I wonder if these companies don’t know it will hurt their future sales by turning out junk.
    The line of new and gullible buyers will run out eventually surely.
    There is a lot of quality out on the market, we just have to beware of some of the other stuff.

Tight lines to all,

Iowa Roger

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Have you personally tried this new crankbait?

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Have you personally tried this new crankbait?

X2 – I personally haven’t tried them but have talked to folks that really like them.

Bang for your buck, Storm is putting out some fantastic product.

RT
    Twin Cities

For a “knock off” the Arashi sure has some innovative features – self tuning line tie, rotated hook hangers to accommodate larger hooks, and while not exclusive to Storm, the circuit board lip is far from standard with most squarebill cranks.

Have I used one yet, nope, but I’m not going to rush judgment on what looks to be a killer product.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I know where you’re coming from Roger as call it what you will (skepical/discriminating) it usually takes me a bit more convincing than the average customer… BUT there are certain exceptions and since I’ve had nothing but positive experences with any crankbait put out by Rapala/Storm I’m going to be picking up a few myself.

I’m actually pretty stoked to give the square bills a try this Fall trolling in shallow rocks… I have a feeling they’re going to be more snag resistant than a normal bill.

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

I too will give these a try, sorry you would’a thought I said Ma’s cookin wasn’t good.
    Seems to me they all do work to some degree, just some do perform better than others , or that is what I have found.
    By no means do I claim to be an expert, but that is just my opinion as to what I see jest alookin’ here online.

Sorry to ruffle anyone’s feathers here, yes, as I said, lots of good stuff on the market, some not sa good.

Thanks for reading,

Iowa Roger

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

I too will give these a try, sorry you would’a thought I said Ma’s cookin wasn’t good.
    Seems to me they all do work to some degree, just some do perform better than others , or that is what I have found.
    By no means do I claim to be an expert, but that is just my opinion as to what I see jest alookin’ here online.

Sorry to ruffle anyone’s feathers here, yes, as I said, lots of good stuff on the market, some not sa good.

Thanks for reading,

Iowa Roger

You’re 100% right Roger… There’s lots of junk out there, but in this case I have a feeling the baits out there first might actually be the ones that end up looking like the knock offs. Lost in all the controversy earlier this year when Brandon Paulaniuk was DQ’d, this was the bait he was fishing to get an 8 lb lead on the best bass anglers in the world – Had he not screwed up and culled on MN waters with a full box he could easily have won the tourney by 10-12 lbs and this lure probably would have been the story

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Iowa Roger – I sure didn’t mean to come off like you weren’t entitled to your opinion. I just wanted to know if you had fished them yourself, or, if we want to keep going with your analogy, if you had personally “tasted Ma’s cooking.”

I haven’t fished one yet so I was interested in any first hand feedback you had on them.

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

The first one of this kind I used was a Strike King square bill KVD I think or one before that. It was not the greatest tuned lure,but boy did it catch the bass.
    I was bank fishing with it and a boat load of bass guys tossing every thing but the kitchen sink came by and were kind of shocked that I had hooked a couple and were sure interested in what I was tossing to get those strikes.

One thing that has me baffled is how to use plastics. I have about every shape, kind, color, and size and cannot seem to have success with them.
    No confidence in them I guess and the fish must know it.

Tight lines to all.

Roger

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

I haven’t fished any of the Arachi’s but I know A LOT of guys on the Rapala staff who LOVE them for bass. I’ll take their word for it.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Walleyes like them too..

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Walleyes like them too..

Nothing like a crank that gets EATEN!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I’ve had one tied on since Brandon Palaniuk was dominating the River Rumble on it. They catch fish…but I’m not certain they are world’s above some of the other top square bills on the market. I have noticed that they come through/off snags very well…I’ll continue to throw them the rest of the season to get a better feel for them.

c_w
    central MN

Since I have also been using the Arashi’s for some time I only have one question. When did the Salmo Hornet become a square bill? And if you want to compare apples to oranges, the Shad Rap was released a decade before Salmo’s inception.

CW

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.