jigs are becoming my “go to” bait

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have really worked to improve my jig game and it has really brought me a lot of success this season…If you saw my posts you may have noticed a lot of jigs in those bass pics…
    Yesterday my college chum Wayne P came to fish for a couple days. The bite was tough with a burning sun but we managed 18 bass on Jigs on a small weedy lake I haven’t fished for over 40 years! The Elk River Brush jigs(left) were by FAR the best jig through the pencil weed and grass the bass were lying in. The DJs “Arkie” style really shined in the occassional wood/rock cover…Warning…lots of Pike… I lost 6 jigs…

Here is Wayne, on his first time using jigs…pretty cool!

taz
    Frederic wi

Great pics. I don’t think there is a bait out there that a pike won’t hit. Just think how much money we would save if they didnt hit every thing they see

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice fish. I’ve been trying to break out of the spinnerbait/Texas rigged worm box too and have been trying cranks and jigs more often.

red89
    Hudson

How are the Lews holding up Tom?

I started hand tying some of my own jigs and caught my biggest smallie ever on a particular lake using a brown silicone/black rubber pattern I tied. Just gotta get set up so I can pour my own and make a ton over the winter.

b-j-r
    Pool 4

Nice fish Tom. I’ve been working on jigs this year too. Do you trim the weed guard down on yours? Just curious, I usally cut mine at an angle almost flush with the hook. Guess it gives me a little more confidence on the hook up with a new technique for me. So far not a big issue with them hanging up.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The Lews reels are really great, especially the mid range models…The TS1SH Tournament Speed Spool ($149 MSRP) is as smooth as silk…

red89
    Hudson

Quote:

The Lews reels are really great, especially the mid range models…The TS1SH Tournament Speed Spool ($149 MSRP) is as smooth as silk…

Good to hear. I’m thinking about getting one of the new BB-1’s this fall, but with the great reviews of the $100 speed spool its tough to want to spend more.

BBKK
    IA

Tom, did you get any of David’s red jigs? They are all red, head weedguard hook and skirt. They look really cool. I think they were arkys.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.