Using fluorocarbon for Mille Lacs SMB??

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

Starting to fish Lake Mille Lacs more for SMB. I currently use 8 lb XT trilene (mono) on 7′ medium action spinng rods. I also like to use a small swivel to prevent line twists when using plastics (tube/wacky worms).

I was wondering if I should also use a fluorocarbon leader below my swivel. Would there be advantages in using a fluorocarbon leader:

1. zebra mussels nicking my line. Isn’t flourocarbon tougher against nicks?? My partner lost a nice 20+” fish last weekend that broke his line most likely from a zerbra mussel nick.

2. less visible for the fish to see?? Would they be line shy using regular 8 lb mono??

Is it worth the extra hassel to use fluorocarbon for the reasons above?? Also, what pound test should I use if I have 8 lb on my main line??

Thanks,
    KWP

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I’ve tried a lot of Fluoro…if only used for a leader, Bass Pro Shops XPS has won the abrasion tests in Tackle Tour and is a very strong line. I would use 8# for your leader.

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

I use fluorocarbon for alot of my bass fishing. I was at Mille Lacs a few weeks back fishing for Smallmouth with crankbaits on #10 P Line and the zebra mussels cut my line a few times while banging the lures against the rocks. After awhile I started checking the first five to ten feet of line for nicks after every cast just to be sure. I’m glad I did because I found a few every so often and I wound up hauling in some nice Smallies after re-tying.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I fish smallmouth in the gin clear water of the Iowa great lakes and have found greatly increased bites using fluorocarbon line. The lines toughness in the rocky and snaggy structure unsurpassed! I use a Revo casting reel on a Fenwick Techna 7′ medium fast rod. Loaded with a full spool of 10# Berkley professional Grade fluoro!I have caught thousands of smallies on this set up without a single break off!Highly recommended set up!!!!!!

corey-studer

The line that I have used with best results has been using a braid like Power pro or Suffix 832 in 10/12# test with a 10/12# Seagaur flourocarbon leader using an Albright knot – NO swivel! A good friend of mine showed me that combo about ten years ago (not the 832…).

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I agree power pro with flouro leader attached by modified albright knot. Very easy to tie, easier than back to back uni and stronger. I do not like Flouro as a main line on spinning gear. If you use 12lb flouro it is very tough stuff should help against zeebs. I fish a lot of very clear water and the braid flouro works well for me anyhow.

Mwal

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Thanks for sharing some different line combinations…I may try some different set ups either straight fluorocarbon or braid/fluorocarbon leader. The thing I don’t like about braid is it floats like a cork and it can be tough to cast into the wind.

I know I want to get away from staright mono because of the zebra mussles. They should really call them razor mussels because of their sharp shells.

FryDog62

Best I’ve found for low viz, low stretch, strength and abrasion resistant against zebra mussels – Yozuri Hybrid 8 pound camo green on Mille Lacs. Tied to 832 or Power Pro with uni or Albright, no swivel.

greghuff
    South Minneapolis, Minnesota

I’ve been having success with 8-pound Nanofil with an 8-pound flourocarbon leader (uni-to-uni knot) on my smallie spinning reels. The Nanofil alllows for much longer casts which, for smallies, can sometimes be more important than line visibility. Often times, smallies (especially in gin-clear water) are more spooked by our boats and movements in them, I think, than they are line-shy, so when you can get longer casts, you improve your chances. I usually use 5 to 6 feet of flouro leader, especially for tubes and grubs.

FryDog62

Greg, you having any break offs on the Nanofil? Its the best casting line ever, but the ratings on Cabelas and BassPro web sites are relatively low. Biggest reason is either line breaks easy or knots don’t hold – especially when tying Nano to braid. Even when using their recommended knots…it still sounds like its not holding up very well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.