Baitcast Reel/Rod Combo?

• rschmidty

To anyone who can help. I’ve fished for years with spinning reels because that was what I was taught on when I was just a little guy. Recently I’ve thinking about getting a bait cast rod and reel for bass fishing, but I’m not exactly sure where to start. I have musky rod and reel combo so I’m familiar with how to use it, but I’m not sure what I should be looking at getting when it comes to a combo for bass. I’m looking to spend under $100. Also, the main use I plan on using it is with lighter tackle. Mostly hook and worm combination. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

das_bass
    Mound, MN

If you are wanting to use lighter tackle, I would stay away from baitcasters, unless you feel pretty good at using one. If you want to try using one for light tackle, I suggest getting something pretty cheap until you find out if you are comfortable casting against the wind with light tackle. That is the real challenging part for me, so the lightest tackle I use with a baitcaster is about 1/2 oz. Anything lighter I go back to my spinning stuff.

red89
    Hudson

I would spend more on the reel and less on the rod I guess if you are trying to keep it under $100. All of my reels are $100+, so I can’t speak for cheaper ones, but I would check out tacklewarehouse.com and look at some reviews. I just have the perception that the cheaper ones won’t last, so why waste the money on one that has cheap parts and is not going to last.

There is a quantum reel in the sale section on tackle warehouse for $50, for example. Maybe throw that on something like an Abu Garcia Vengeance($50) rod and you would have a decent set up to start. If you want to spend a little more, Shimano Citicas on clearance are a good deal right now.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

Baitcasters take “ALOT” OF PRACTICE, you will get so many eagles nests, they are good reels BUT they need to be adjusted properly and practice, practice and about the time you think you have it mastered bam a great big NEST..

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

The cheapest reel I would get is a Quantium Accurist or Revo Sx the rest won’t stand up long if you use it much. Rods starting about 50-60 bucks if you shop around will get you started w A decent rod. start w 1/4 oz worms 3/8 oz jigs,spinner bait ect. till you get used to it,I have a Quantium energy and6-1/2′ rod w 10lb line I throw 1/8 oz and 4″ worms all the time,bait casters have more tourqe and are more efficient than spinning reels, I use spinning for jerk baits[small] and light jigs >1/8 or drop shoting. ya they take practice but my 8&9 yr old grandsons both throw em now on spinner baits and frogs and jigs! start w 6’6’MH extra fast tip to get the best feel!

Stan

iceman35
    upstate New York

For baitcasting lighter stuff, I’d suggest going over budget on the reel. REVO STX has the best free spool and great adjustability. I’ve used them with 8# mono up to 65# braid no problem.
    Rod, do you plan on casting or pitching with this rod? A difference. A jigging rod usually has a lighter tip and stronger backbone. A “casting” rod tends to have a even taper. I myself like a rod about 6-10.
    I plan on getting a few Berkley “AMP” rods this winter. for $29.00 get a few… The one I have is fantastic. bargain basement rod but gets it done in a big way!
    I know I went over budget on the reel but for lighter stuff you’ll like it. I have 5 STX’s and they are great.
    shop around ebay etc, you’ll save some.

rschmidty

Thanks for all of the posts. I now have a good place to start from as I’m looking forward to spring already.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.