South Dakota Fish Kill

• Riverrat

https://www.newsweek.com/thousands-fish-dead-ice-melts-lake-1881449

I went down to this lake last summer late June early July and there was blue green algae everywhere. I was kinda bummed because even though its not far away I had never fished there. I could only fish the northern end because the algae was so bad in the rest. I wanted to go down there and fish the early season but guess not.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Yes please don’t fish Traverse for walleye in April, there’s nothing to be caught there!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Now we get fish Kill on Bad Winters and Good winters. Never heard of fish kills from a mild winter. My guess is this fish kill was due to something far different than a mild winter.

tswoboda

My guess is this fish kill was due to something far different than a mild winter.

The article explains why the fish kill occured…

3,000 dead fish is a drop in the bucket for Traverse, also said only a handful were walleye. I see no reason to avoid fishing it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Too much oxygen.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Too much oxygen.

Most living things prefer that over to little grin But I guess this proves that either can be deadly

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishthumper wrote:</div>
    My guess is this fish kill was due to something far different than a mild winter.

The article explains why the fish kill occured…

3,000 dead fish is a drop in the bucket for Traverse, also said only a handful were walleye. I see no reason to avoid fishing it.

I’d avoid it, no fish there….. whistling

Riverrat

Well there wasn’t any fish there when I was there. I fished the North side off 117 from the bank with a nice walleye chop. I drove down to Rosebud and it was all algae, a guy with a kayak pulled up and took one look and reloaded his yak. Drove down further to the RV park and same thing there. I’ll try again this year hopefully before the next big bloom.

Michael Best

The reservation dam will get a lot of shore fishing pressure this time of year.
    Me personally I always liked fishing skunk island area for opener back when Traverse and Big stone were not open year round.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.