Someone Has to Do It: Ice Predictions

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Alright armchair meteorologists, what are your predictions for ice-up in different portions of the state?

My completely unscientific guess that means nothing yet:

-There may be a slightly later than normal ice up for most parts of the state. Here along Pool 4 we have x3 days of forecasted 62 degree temps next week. We are usually on the river backwaters that first week of December on decent ice, and I just cannot see that without some major changes to the forecast.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Next week does look quite warm. I see several days in the 50’s and another near or at 60.

isu22andy

Fishable ice on the backwaters of pool 4 my guess is December 12th .

Riverrat

The sunday after thanksgiving

JEREMY
    BP

Dont know but im gonna drive on Red the day after Thanksgiving with my 1 ton pickem up truck and tri axle fish house.

FinnyDinDin

Thanksgiving on red ain’t looking good this year. My long term forecast goes out to the 22nd and doesn’t even look like small water will freeze by then.
    Maybe I will yank the boat out of storage to hit Black Friday in the skeeter.

My guess is first week of December for ice.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I’m guessing I’ll be on ice here in Iowa sometime around Christmas, but I’m guessing some people will be out earlier.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This was December 3, 2022. I’m thinking December 14th this year for fishable skatable ice.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4550-scaled.jpeg

tim hurley

Easier to predict when the temp is trending down in a somewhat linear way-we had snow but now we are going UP for another week.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Id bet some metro lakes will be fishable the last week in November first week of December

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

New Years Day would work for me.

Jimmy Jones

New Years Day would work for me.

March 22, 2024 would be good at this end. For a day. Then it can warm up again.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My long term forecast goes out to the 22nd and doesn’t even look like small water will freeze by then.

According to the radio, it’s supposed to stay relatively warm all the way until Thanksgiving. I’m guessing most of November will be open water fishing.

I may actually have to mow the lawn again.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I don’t think Erie and the north Shore are going to shine this year.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We’re definitely not going to break any records for early ice if the longer range forecasts are correct:

Attachments:
    1. 814temp.new_-scaled.gif

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Beautiful

Charles

So how is red lake in a boat after thanksgiving?

Jason

So how is red lake in a boat after thanksgiving?

I think that I will be doing a cast and blast there this weekend. Kill ducks in the morning and pluck some walleyes out in the afternoon.
    I drove by there on Tuesday afternoon and there was only approx a small amount of ice along the far eastern shoreline but after today’s wind that will be all gone if it isn’t already.
    Docks are pulled out at the river, but West Wind leaves theirs in as long as their marina ice opens up.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

It wasn’t too many years ago I had the boat out early December in Wright Co. I suspect this may be another of those years.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Looking at the forecast around here. I don’t see any ice fishing in Nov. My guess is it will be at least the 2nd week in Dec. at the earliest. Then again this is Minnesota and that could all change in a hurry. about 4-5 years ago I was out on Thanksgiving day ice fishing and it was my 3rd ice outing that season already. I have picture of other years where we were still fishing out of a boat on Dec. 15th. You just never know.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

2015 is the only year I have fished open water in December since moving North in 2003. I have no record of even fishing in December from 2005 to 2013. I took a break from ice fishing from 2007 to 2013. I don’t know that Platte Lake will have safe ice by December 1st at this rate, which is fine with me. Eyes in Mille Lacs are shallow and hungry this year.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m guessing my early ice red trip won’t be Thanksgiving.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m guessing my early ice red trip won’t be Thanksgiving.

With the current forecast I kind of Doubt it. Don’t be one of those guys were are hearing or reading about in the news grin

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I was reading about those guys last year as we were way out on a bridge we built. Came back in and built another bridge. Crossed our bridge and did it all over the next day. All while everyone else was freaking out about a crack. It was awesome. We didn’t see people for 5 days.

Justin riegel

If The Accuweather forecast for December is accurate (it wont be), we will not have fishable ice until after New Years in the Metro.

Charles

Even the two week forecast its going to be warm. So I don’t think Red is going to happen unless I bring a boat lol.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Even the two week forecast its going to be warm. So I don’t think Red is going to happen unless I bring a boat lol.

We talked about boats and shot guns. Grouse and walleye. But I’m sure we will just stay home

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I don’t follow all the URL resorts and whatnot on social media, but I am assuming they will be pushed back at least a couple weeks from their typical start? If I get my crap done, this could be the first year in a long time I show up at some overcrowded ice show. I never attend because it’s during the best fishing of the entire season, but this year there may not be ice.

Charles

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charles wrote:</div>

We talked about boats and shot guns. Grouse and walleye. But I’m sure we will just stay home

Yeah I am same predicament, I am thinking just hunkering down on Gull lake for a day.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure what’s going to happen to Pool 4 this year.

We’ve had ONE reactor shut down before and when it went into late Jan/Feb, it was a mess.

Today both reactors are shut down and rumor has it, they won’t be started again until Jan 1st (assuming no delays). Excel won’t talk about it, something to do with competition adjusting their prices?

It’s going to be a learning experience for a bunch of us. crazy

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.