Soft Sided Rod Holder Bag for TUCR

• Tim Watson

Anyone have a any good recommendations for a soft sided rod bag that will protect TUCR? I have a smaller shanty and the bigger hard sided cases will not fit properly.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Not sure what part of fitting properly your talking about. I didn’t care for the soft case I was using so I searched allot for a affordable case that was the size I wanted and came up with a breakdown shotgun case that measures up to what I wanted. Found it for under $25 on sale at local sporting goods store.

mitchfic
    Blaine, MN

I just bought a Bullwhip and now I will need more protection for the rod. I think for this season I will just get a rod tube to put the rod in and still use my old rod bag. You can either make one or I have seen them for sale for $5.

fisherman-andy

Forget about soft cases especially if you got a noodle rod. Get an Otter rod box hard case.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Do you really want to trust that kind of money to be kept safe in a soft case?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Anyone have a any good recommendations for a soft sided rod bag that will protect TUCR? I have a smaller shanty and the bigger hard sided cases will not fit properly.

I use a Clam 2000 and I just put my hard case behind me up on end !

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Check out the rod bags from Strike Ice. They are a smaller profile but still have some protection vs the Transporter bag (my go to) which is bigger and has rod tubes to protect rods in the bottom.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Forget about soft cases especially if you got a noodle rod. Get an Otter rod box hard case.

x2

Tim Watson

Thanks for all of your responses.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fisherman-andy wrote:</div>

x2

x100

Speaking from experience it will only take saving you the heartbreak of breaking the tip off of one custom rod for you to realize that a good hard case really is worth the money.

Jeff Schomaker

Might be a dumb question but do you have to do anything special to your spinning reels to store them in a hard case?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

If your soft case has a plastic tube or inserts in them like the one I have been using for 8 years no problem carrying $500 worth of rods around.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Jeff I fold all my handles just to make sure. I never had any issues. I just like making sure I am not going to bend them. Just my two cents.

Jeff Schomaker

Jeff I fold all my handles just to make sure. I never had any issues. I just like making sure I am not going to bend them. Just my two cents.

Appreciate the input John! That’s what I figured. Just wasn’t sure. How many rods can the otter case hold?

tucrs
    NW Metro

I have 5 in mine. I have seen more I just don’t like having it too full.

CaptainMusky

I would advise against a soft sided bag for an expensive rod or even one with tubes in it. Custom or any rod with a fragile tip could get caught in the tube and snap off.
    I have the Striker transporter bag. In one year it broke my DH Custom Noodle rod, had the seam blow out on one of the side pockets and the fabric inside the rod compartment snags anything and everything it can.
    There is no need for fabric in there and I shared that with the company who didn’t seem to agree with my assessment.
    Anyways, I am now looking for a new rod storage solution because this one certainly has not held up.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I agree with the suggestion to go with the Otter Rod Box. I have 5 TUC’s and woudln’t keep them in anything else. But, if you’re looking to save a few bucks, and I don’t blame you, keep an eye out for the Frabill hard rod case. You can sometimes get them cheap at Target, Fleet Farm, Cabela’s, Walmart, etc. Keep your eyes peeled. My brother-in-law got one for $20 on sale at Walmart last year mid-season. Seems like a good sturdy case.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I’ve been using my double barrel Rapala case for 2 full winters and I’m confident in its ability to protect my rods. I have anywhere from 4-6 rods/reels in it up to 38″ and the zipper bags on the sides hold a significant amount of tackle/tools. The carry strap is long and makes it easy to secure the bag on your back while pulling a sled.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.