So…Catch and Release again

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If the act of physically putting a fish in the livewell and filleting it is the main source of enjoyment associated with fishing for someone – I feel extremely sorry for them.

This isn’t something I agree with, but I’ve said time and time again that this is now the norm. The Bands will always have the overwhelming majority of “say” regarding the pond. If people don’t like it, fish elsewhere and stay out of all the area businesses controlled by the bands. The Supreme Court has ruled that the resource originally belonged to the Bands and that treaties will be upheld. No governor, DNR official, or newly elected representative is going to change that. It sucks, but thankfully there are thousands of other lakes and rivers.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Actually, the Supreme court only ruled that the 1837 treaty was still inforce and existed at the “Pleasure of the President.” Not that is was fair or valid… They left the door wide open for other challenges. Or, simply have the President revoke the treaty at the swipe of a pen.

-J.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

If the act of physically putting a fish in the livewell and filleting it is the main source of enjoyment associated with fishing for someone – I feel extremely sorry for them.

I agree with this, I really do. I think catch n release needs to be more accepted and practiced if we are to maintain quality fishing on many of our MN lakes.

Having said that, I have had a place on the lake for 5+ years now. I am pretty disappointed that we could not even keep one fish this year. Or even just have a 3 week period of time where you could keep one fish. I am a big catch n release advocate, but I think this is the 4th consecutive year of only catch n release.(or maybe 3 and the 4th year the slot was so tight you couldn’t find a keeper if you tried) And while we pay property tax and spend our incomes in the area trying to keep local businesses afloat we get to watch the tribes net during spawn and use the fillets as currency. Pretty twisted if you ask me.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

When I travel far to fish I expect to eat a meal. Especially the big waters. If that’s wrong I dont want to be right.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

When I travel far to fish I expect to eat a meal. Especially the big waters. If that’s wrong I dont want to be right.

When you don’t catch fish outside of a slot, or don’t get a meal…is the trip a complete waste then?

I agree that it’d be great to be able to harvest a few fish. I enjoy fresh fish just like most of you. However, I don’t NOT fish if that isn’t a possibility. With the Mille Lacs situation, I’d still fish it if I had plans (which I currently don’t for this season). I’d just go out of my way to NOT visit any tribe-owned business. What has happened is wrong. The nets should be long gone or monitored more closely in my opinion. However, who truly sees any of that changing?

Just last week I released probably 20 perch that were between 10-13″. Why??? – Because there’s not a need to keep fish on every outing. I probably catch 8-10 legal walleyes and saugers on average in a trip on the river. I probably keep 2-3 fish once a month despite going out 3-4 times a week. I still enjoy it.

With the advancing technology of electronics, flashers, boats, clothing, ice houses, baits, social media, television, etc. do people really think they’re going to be able to take home fish on every outing they make in the coming decades?

Do some research on “The Tragedy of the Commons”

folke2000

bucky – to each their own I guess. I can’t eat fresh water fish, and therefore am a catch and release type of person. I do however recognize that there are those that like to fish the pond, and also would like to enjoy the results of their efforts by having a meal of freshly caught fish. For those I know, the act of filleting fish is part of the “work” that leads to the enjoyment of eating a meal of fish. Again, to each their own, including opinions.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Maybe a $75.00 license that allows catch and keep fish or a $20.00 catch and release license. We will find out how much people want to eat fish vs saving a few bucks.

I wonder how many pounds the DNR factors in for poaching?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I doubt that you are sincerely sorry for them and it looks that your statement is more condescending.

Personally I am okay with C&R as that is what I almost always practice, however I do respect that there are those who like to keep a meal of fish or two and that is part of what makes their fishing experience enjoyable and rewarding. I also recognize that many are not always out to get their limit every time or deplete the water of fish.

TMF89

I’d be fine with turning it into a C&R fish factory. I agree with Bucky, as far as the “main enjoyment” part of his post goes. I love to eat fish, and knowing a few in the livewell is always a good feeling, but I know guys who literally won’t go out unless they can keep fish, and I think taking it that far means you’re missing out on a lot of what makes fishing so enjoyable. Obviously they have a right to their opinion, but if the only reason you’re out there is to fill your freezer, you’re not getting the entire experience.

Smackem33

I’m glad you guys are ok for me to keep a few fish to eat when I go fishing. Don’t think I could live with my self if everyone was looking down on me lol. Most people don’t get out three times or more a week fishing like most of us who frequent thus site. Most my buddies especially ones with kids get out once a month at best and want to bring fish home.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I like to fish, I love to eat fish….way more enjoyable if I could eat what I catch. My trips don’t revolve around keeping a limit, but it sure helps the entire experince. Shoot, some trips we’ve been too hung over to fish, what an experience that was! Time to take out your frustrations a tap a maple tree.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Haha. I had to check the date on this thread to see if it was a new topic. coffee

riverruns
    Inactive

. Obviously they have a right to their opinion, but if the only reason you’re out there is to fill your freezer, you’re not getting the entire experience.

So what is the entire experience? You left that out?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Good to hear from you Smackem33… wink

C&R, or keep for a meal…this is probably less of an issue for the majority of those that post here, or those that have their own boat and can fish where they please based on whichever they want.

Not that many care, but the greater detriment to the all C&R season is to the launch operations on Mille Lacs. There is much less interest for those casual anglers to pay their $35-$40 to catch walleyes only to throw them back. So this is, for that alone another setback.

Again, most here don’t care…however that is/was a Mille Lacs attraction for their primary clientele. A short drive up from the cities and go out for fishing opportunity for those without their own boats and equipment, etc.

There is a lot of history and culture from that offering that only still exists on Mille Lacs and nowhere else in the state anymore other than perhaps LOTW, but that is an entirely different trip.

The assortment of launch boats out there bobber fishing added to the uniqueness of Mille Lacs fishing experience.

Thankfully…most have survived and are still hanging in there to continue a tradition that was enjoyed by grandparents and can be still enjoyed now by grandchildren.

TripleA
    Blaine

At least this year’s netting was catch and release to keep it fair…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Andy, you have the pulse up there. Have all the launches switched over to circle hooks on the bobber rigs? I certainly hope they have it makes a big difference on survival with all those novice fisherman.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Not that many care, but the greater detriment to the all C&R season is to the launch operations on Mille Lacs. There is much less interest for those casual anglers to pay their $35-$40 to catch walleyes only to throw them back. So this is, for that alone another setback.

If that’s the case, and our governor and DNR truly care about Mille Lacs businesses, why not offer Mille Lacs businesses the opportunity to operate catch and harvest opportunities on launches? I’d support that in leu of the 1 fish winter harvest.

It would be a pretty simple program to operate. Hell, I’d even get my hockey buddies that don’t fish on one of these. A few of these guys don’t fish and the absolutely do not understand why people catch and release fish.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Andy, you have the pulse up there. Have all the launches switched over to circle hooks on the bobber rigs? I certainly hope they have it makes a big difference on survival with all those novice fisherman.

jester

Well…not near as many novice fisherman (let’s say anglers…not gender specific) as there used to be. When once upon a time there were outfits sending 3 trips daily…now I see many boats still tied to the dock on weekends.

To answer your question, I don’t know. (Doesn’t really answer your question…does it?) The launch trip with my grandson last June they did not have circle hooks, however the couple walleyes we caught were not gut hooked.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

If that’s the case, and our governor and DNR truly care about Mille Lacs businesses, why not offer Mille Lacs businesses the opportunity to operate catch and harvest opportunities on launches? I’d support that in leu of the 1 fish winter harvest.

It would be a pretty simple program to operate. Hell, I’d even get my hockey buddies that don’t fish on one of these. A few of these guys don’t fish and the absolutely do not understand why people catch and release fish.

Well…the guv did offer and follow through with a handout. A big one at that. So that has been done, and is done now…for now?

Last 2 years there has been grants and interest free and forgivable loans up to $100,000. I have followed closely and most all surrounding businesses took advantage of this handout. This all has been outside of mainstream media but it all played out according to this article, the only one I could find for now.

There is more, I can tell you some that took the $$ and then closed their doors. Don’t let this deter you and any others. There are those that have made sincere efforts to maintain and prosper their business. I have found most all of them have made that effort and are still giving it all they can to keep going. Making legitimate use of the resources made available by this offering.

So much more to this story, anyway…here is the link

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/25/mille-lacs-walleye-impact-were-hurting-should-state-offer-aid/

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Well look at it this way, those businesses that closed shortly after likely would’ve filed bankruptcy and their creditors would suffer because of it. If it prevented them from bankruptcy, why not. It’s probably the only help you’ll get from the gubment.

If the gubment wants to support the businesses, then generate business, not handouts. Who would close their doors if business was good?

I know it doesn’t solve all the problems for the local businesses but it’s a start.

Of course there will be whining from the weekend anglers as there always is.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

How many dead horses must be beaten? If you fish it, keep fish like the other 80% of fisherman who fish it. There will never be fair play if the band has their rules and the non native has their own agenda. I pushed down 2 20 inchers back down the hole the one day I visited. I can only imagine how many got sawed up to spite the regs.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I booked a cabin up there again for the second year in a row. I simply found it to be one of the best fishing lakes I have ever been on, Canada included. We will head to another lake to catch some eater walleye. looking forward to it. a great cabin for around $650.00 for the whole week

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I booked a cabin up there again for the second year in a row. I simply found it to be one of the best fishing lakes I have ever been on, Canada included. We will head to another lake to catch some eater walleye. looking forward to it. a great cabin for around $650.00 for the whole week

Holy crapoly, would you mind sharing the resort?

On my list of lakes to stay at, seems like a good year.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

sorry, I was a little light on my price. we stay at Hunter’s Nitti Point. nice cabins

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.