Snowdog

• Gary Lothrop

I bought a bag of 1,000 Kold Kutter screws years ago to stud the ATV tires on my Polaris RZR. They are 1/2″ long. The track on the Snowdog could easily handle screws 3/4″ long but the ones I used work fine and I have not lost any. Pretty sure I used right around 120 screws and I staggered the pattern using three in one tread and 2 in the next. Really, the only condition the screws/studs are needed for is on glare ice or when there is just an inch or two of lose powder snow on top of bare ice. The dog has all of the weight right over the track so it does have a solid footprint and plows through rather than like a snowmobile that tends to float because of the skis. One time last year when going up a steep ramp I lost traction and had a buddy stand/kneel in the dogs rear for added weight and then it dug right in and walked right up.

Gunflint Trail

The studs seem to hep me on the hard packed trails that have been packed by snowmobiles between the lakes. Made a big difference in the “bite”of the track. Very easy to install and not expensive.

Gary Law
    Ohio

If you wanted to eliminate the extra sled, would you be able to just sit in your x300 on a seat behind the snowdog and just go like that? Also I was thinking a hitch rack like this to put the snowdog on. That way you still have the entire truck bed to put all your gear in.

Hey Justin where did you find this hitch carrier – I looked at Northern tool supply & it looks the same but don’t want to get screwed on shipping

Gunflint Trail

Gary, I have seen several photos of people loading a Snowdog that way and put the link for a video of that concept. I would recommend their new cover if you go that way to minimize the salt all over your dog. I am sure that it works.
    video

Attachments:
    1. dog.png

Gary Lothrop

I agree the cover would be a necessity to keep the road crap off. Another nice function is once you fold the handle over the Snowdog sled fits nicely right over the entire machine and it has loops in the metal tubing around the sled for bungies to hold it down.

BTW, The guys on my MC forum don’t have much good to say about that brand, Hitch hauler. I have never seen or used one or the Versahaul so that is not my opinion at all.

JoeMX1825
    MN

so do you really need to manually switch the gear drive up in the front of the Snowdog from Forward to Reverse? That seems like a pita if your stuck in deep snow and try to rock it out from being stuck?

Gary Lothrop

The answer is yes for last years or the first years model and this years models they moved the switching up to the handle bars and redesigned the entire reversing gear. Mine didn’t come with reverse and none were available to be had last year which may have been a blessing in disguise for the exact reason you state. In my shed I could easily get to the front to switch and back it out but not in my enclosed trailer.

Gunflint Trail

The new Dogs with reverse are great. Part of the problem is that the track does not “freewheel” very well when pulling it backwards. I don’t think it would be too hard to pull it backwards off that ramp, but it would be a pain to pull it backwards up the ramp. I plan to upgrade mine with the reverse kit.

Gary Law
    Ohio

I have located 2 dealers in Ohio & am stuck spinning my wheels with indecision over cost vs reverse ..

At dealer #1 I can get
    compact model for $2,550
    standard for $2,750
    or standard w/reverse for $3,799
    None are in the snow camo that I truly want but feel I’m being petty over cosmetics..
    Dealer #2 only has the standard model in the snow camo for $3,000 & slightly cheaper than MSRP on sleds seats ect

I also am scratching my head on hauling this tool – I just don’t have faith in hitch mount carriers vs a standard ATV trailer with the added cost of tags ..

This is a classic case of paralysis by over analysis..and me being tight with money

Gunflint Trail

They will all work. I am going to pay a premium now and have to put in the trouble to retrofit reverse. That is all I can say. In any case, you won’t be sorry.

Gary Lothrop

I have located 2 dealers in Ohio & am stuck spinning my wheels with indecision over cost vs reverse ..

At dealer #1 I can get
    compact model for $2,550
    standard for $2,750
    or standard w/reverse for $3,799
    None are in the snow camo that I truly want but feel I’m being petty over cosmetics..
    Dealer #2 only has the standard model in the snow camo for $3,000 & slightly cheaper than MSRP on sleds seats ect

I also am scratching my head on hauling this tool – I just don’t have faith in hitch mount carriers vs a standard ATV trailer with the added cost of tags ..

This is a classic case of paralysis by over analysis..and me being tight with money

Lets change some wording. Compact are the smaller ones and standard are the big guys with 13.5 HP B&S engines. The standards come with no reverse or with reverse. I would absolutely suggest the Standard with reverse. I do not know if the compacts even can have reverse so leave that out of this discussion for now.

In my opinion!!!! The standard with the handlebar mounted NEW style reverse gearing should cost right around $500 more than the Standard without reverse is $2750 and the one with reverse should be around $3250

Here is what I think is happening with your dealer. He has left over B13-ME models without reverse like me and Gunflint have and is blowing them out cheaper than I bought mine for. Not many guys like me and Gunflint who are NOT real happy with our heavy dogs that can’t back up. Snowdog needs to make this right for us first year buyers and your dealer is trying to cash in on the new models with reverse by inflating the price and probably because they are hard to come by.
    Look at it this way, if you live in Florida you don’t need a pickup with 4 wheel drive but if you live in Wisconsin that same 2 wheel drive pickup is pretty much useless 8 months of every year.
    Right around $3400-$3500 for a B 13 standard with the new reverse or they can kiss my ass. I suspect when and if the reverse kits ever do get here to upgrade the ones me and Gunflint have it will cost around $500. So $2750 for our B13 ME plus $500 equals $3250. If I could have found one with the reverse last November it was only $200 more and they sucked.
    I don’t want to bash Snowdog because they are a great concept machine that does all they said it does but they have to make this right for those of us who jumped on with them in their infancy and not try to hose the ones that came after us while they get things right.
    I was the GM at a big motorcycle dealer and have been through this BS more times than I care to mention. You work through the first year bugs, get things right and then you get to set your prices once you have a winner.

Gunflint Trail

At the St.Paul Ice Show.

Dmitir, the CEO and Vladimir Filatenko, the VP of Export are here From Snowdog

I recommend that you stop by and speak with them at their booth (next to the Otter booth). They are great and know everything about the Snowdog.

Brendan Johnson, owner of Kinni Sports and Power of Hudson, Wisconsin is also there and giving a show special on Snowdogs.

Well worth the visit.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3533.jpg

Gunflint Trail

At the St.Paul Ice Show.

Dmitir, the CEO and Vladimir Filatenko, the VP of Export are here From Snowdog.

I recommend that you stop by and speak with them at their booth (next to the Otter booth). They are great and know everything about the Snowdog.

Brendan Johnson, owner of Kinni Sports and Power of Hudson, Wisconsin is also there and giving a show special on Snowdogs.

Well worth the visit.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3533-1.jpg

Gary Law
    Ohio

I plan on doing this mod to my track before my season begins but I’m struggling to figure out the best way to do this without any hoist or lift – I can’t figure out how to advance my track enough to put my studs in

Gunflint Trail

I don’t remember if I simply pullled back on the handle to reverse it a little, I think that is what I did. I installed them along the front as the track became visible. I might have lifted it up on a 2×6 to make it easier. You will do fine.

Also, sorry for the double post above. I cannot find out how to delete one of them.

Gary Lothrop

I ran a metal pipe through the side frame holes in between the track at the rear. Once I lifted the rear up on to wood blocks I used the jack in the front on the supplied eye ring and got the entire track just off the ground. With the rear mud flap removed it was easy access and you can turn the track by hand to install the screw studs.

Gam

JASON LEPINSKI

When I studded my track I used 5/8″ screws like the ones mentioned. I simply removed the snow flap, and and screwed them in with a cordless impact. I put 4 of them per lug. When I had to advance it to the next lug I just pushed it ahead a bit. I believe it took 104 screws to do it.

jamie wicks

Gary, what are your thoughts on a Snow Dog pulling an Otter Lodge flip as the operator sled? this flip has two swivel seats that slide both front to back and side to side. is having the operator and the gear that close to the back end going to work or has anyone used your actual flip shack as the operator sled. Thanks for any insight.
    Jamie

Gary Lothrop

Gary, what are your thoughts on a Snow Dog pulling an Otter Lodge flip as the operator sled? this flip has two swivel seats that slide both front to back and side to side. is having the operator and the gear that close to the back end going to work or has anyone used your actual flip shack as the operator sled. Thanks for any insight.
    Jamie

Hi Jamie, I think it should not be an issue using just the shanty sled as your steering seat. I do suspect the swivel seat could be somewhat problematic because you do have to muscle the bars some while under way.
    I feel I have better control while standing and it would be fine if you could stand up in your shanty sled rather than sitting on a swivel.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>
    My cousin just sold his ,had about 6 hours on it. He said you really get a workout using it. He said it,s tippy in deep snow . Russian made? A snowmobile would have been my choice but it was not my money.

Well, the Snowdog is Not the end all do all for all of us. A snowmobile blasting through 3 foot snow drifts would certainly be my choice as well but out on the ice and for getting me, my gear and the gear from a couple buddies to and from the ramp to our spot the dog rules. Take the good with the bad and make your own decisions. I don’t need a license, registration and insurance for the dog so that is about a $400 savings every year. I do need a mule because a heart attack is about $60,000 and I sure do enjoy my ice fishing without all the pulling. I don’t have room to store a 10 foot long snowmobile 9 months of every year and I don’t need to go 90 MPH to get to my tiny lakes best spots. Actually, I see guys with snowmobiles out on the big lakes towing sleds behind them going way faster than I ever would these days. Like just about all the other things I own it is a tool and if I use it right it gets the job done and saves me time, money and a bunch of energy I just don’t have these days. I have had snowmobiles, ATVs, UTVs 4X4 trucks and they all had their good points and bad. I am keeping my Snowdog because it does what I need it to do and I never have had any machine that didn’t need some tweaking to get it just right for my needs. One of my buddies built a gorgeous Jeep Rubicon for deep woods trecking and spent a small fortune on all the fancy wheels, tires and suspension modifications and flipped it on it’s roof his first time out. I laid my dog on it’s side my first time out and it sure is tippy but no damage and I got it upright quick and kept right on going. Yup, it is Russian made but think about this, it could easily have been Jewish and there will be haters.
    Just go vote next week for which ever asshole you like best. MAGA.

Gary

Well, Gary seems like you don,t like what i said. To bad because it is what it is . All i did was report what my cousin,s experience was ! Btw have you tried to change the oil on these? But i get it your in love with your toy. PS don,t forget to turn off the fuel petcock cousin found out the hard way.

Gunflint Trail

My cousin just sold his ,had about 6 hours on it. He said you really get a workout using it. He said it,s tippy in deep snow . Russian made? A snowmobile would have been my choice but it was not my money.

Don,

I was just using mine in northern Minnesota where we had 30 inches of new snow in 3 days. I had no trouble keeping the Snowdog from tipping – but I use the standing position as it is much easier to apply leverage to the handle. I think it would have been hard from a sitting position.

In fairness, the snowmobiles were also having an exciting time trying to break trails and they were not typically hauling sleds of gear.

The main issue with the deep and heavy snow was that I needed to break a trail before puling 500 pounds of gear in my sleds – but I think that a snowmobile would have had similar issues.

Another problem was VERY deep slush on the lakes. This was a problem for both the Snowdog and the Snowmobiles. The fact of the matter, however, was that the Snowdog was much easier to get unstuck in 8-10 inches of slush and could be pivoted in place to get out again. Not much fun for either vehicle, but it seemed like I had an easier time of it with the Snowdog than a single snowmobile alone and even more so a snowmobile hauling a sled.

As I am always hauling a sled, and usually have a lot of gear, the snowmobile question is more complicated and they have their own problems.

Gary Lothrop

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gary Lothrop wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>

Well, the Snowdog is Not the end all do all for all of us. A snowmobile blasting through 3 foot snow drifts would certainly be my choice as well but out on the ice and for getting me, my gear and the gear from a couple buddies to and from the ramp to our spot the dog rules. Take the good with the bad and make your own decisions. I don’t need a license, registration and insurance for the dog so that is about a $400 savings every year. I do need a mule because a heart attack is about $60,000 and I sure do enjoy my ice fishing without all the pulling. I don’t have room to store a 10 foot long snowmobile 9 months of every year and I don’t need to go 90 MPH to get to my tiny lakes best spots. Actually, I see guys with snowmobiles out on the big lakes towing sleds behind them going way faster than I ever would these days. Like just about all the other things I own it is a tool and if I use it right it gets the job done and saves me time, money and a bunch of energy I just don’t have these days. I have had snowmobiles, ATVs, UTVs 4X4 trucks and they all had their good points and bad. I am keeping my Snowdog because it does what I need it to do and I never have had any machine that didn’t need some tweaking to get it just right for my needs. One of my buddies built a gorgeous Jeep Rubicon for deep woods trecking and spent a small fortune on all the fancy wheels, tires and suspension modifications and flipped it on it’s roof his first time out. I laid my dog on it’s side my first time out and it sure is tippy but no damage and I got it upright quick and kept right on going. Yup, it is Russian made but think about this, it could easily have been Jewish and there will be haters.
    Just go vote next week for which ever asshole you like best. MAGA.

Gary

Well, Gary seems like you don,t like what i said. To bad because it is what it is . All i did was report what my cousin,s experience was ! Btw have you tried to change the oil on these? But i get it your in love with your toy. PS don,t forget to turn off the fuel petcock cousin found out the hard way.

Hey Don. My response has nothing to do with liking or disliking what you said. Your third party account coming from your cousin simply tells me your cousin did not like his Snowdog. OK,I didn’t like my snowmobiles for pulling all my ice fishing gear either plus having to keep it registered and insured every year. No. I have not changed the oil yet or even looked at it for the job but a pump from one of my wife’s shampoo bottles will probably get it sucked out quick enough if the drain plug is a messy ordeal.
    One thing that is a fair statement is that folks who are very satisfied with what ever they buy usually don’t spend much time giving praise while those who are not happy want to tell the world about their negative experiences. I think the Snowdog is just about perfect for my needs and it is perfectly fine if others don’t think it will work for theirs. Here where I live we rarely ever get much over 8-10 inches of snow on the ice but might have to blast through a drifted bank on the shore line. No matter because it is a hell of a lot easier than dragging all my crap under leg power.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0686-Edited-2.jpg

Gary Law
    Ohio

Gary you are so right because I had mulled over my choice to buy for almost 3 years & honestly looked for actual owners complaints – the most common issue/problem I found were first generation owners upset over not getting reverse option or the parts to do the mod themselves. I did find unofficial snowdog owners groups on facebook – it seems the old chain guards were not well built & people whacking into things bent them causing chains to pop – this was a hassle to repair on the trail but users are finding ways to remedy this. Like you’ve said before this is a fantastic tool that is not the be all end all but I sure think it’s close enough for me & am a happy owner.

Gary Lothrop

Gary you are so right because I had mulled over my choice to buy for almost 3 years & honestly looked for actual owners complaints – the most common issue/problem I found were first generation owners upset over not getting reverse option or the parts to do the mod themselves. I did find unofficial snowdog owners groups on facebook – it seems the old chain guards were not well built & people whacking into things bent them causing chains to pop – this was a hassle to repair on the trail but users are finding ways to remedy this. Like you’ve said before this is a fantastic tool that is not the be all end all but I sure think it’s close enough for me & am a happy owner.

Yes Gary, I am sure you can find the complainers on line if you look for them. I would expect guys who like snowmobiles and ATVs to trash the dog but who cares as long as you are happy and find it useful for your needs. I looked at my front chain sprocket and thought it sure could take a hit because mine has no chain guard at all for the track sprocket. I do see SD now sells a chain guard for them but since I use mine pretty much just on the ice I have no concern.
    So, Has Ohio figured out how to tax and regulate these machines yet or are they still running under the radar?

Gary Law
    Ohio

Has Ohio figured out how to tax and regulate these machines yet or are they still running under the radar?

So far we are still good unless you ride on State forest recreation lands then a trail ORV sticker is required.

Al Case

Who are the dealers in the Twin Cities area?
    Thanks,
    Al

Gunflint Trail

Who are the dealers in the Twin Cities area?
    Thanks,
    Al

There are none in the Twin Cities that I know of. There is one in St. Cloud. I bought mine from Kinni Sport and Power in River Falls (just south of Hudson) in Wisconsin. They were the ones who had the booth at the St. Paul Ice Fishing Show.

Gary Lothrop

Go on Snowdog.com and do a search for dealers by your zip code. They are adding dealers all over the country faster than we can keep track.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 112 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.