Smoker upgrade suggestions

• castle-rock-clown

I’ve had offset smokers and now a pellet grill. The offset was great but very labor intensive when using lump charcoal. I tried using actual dry wood like oak, cherry, and apple. The meat was way too smoked for my taste. I also accumulated a lot more creosote…ick. The pellet allows a much cleaner smoke without the acrid byproducts. It allows the personality of the meat to come through. Plus the pellet smoker grill is so easy and fast I don’t develop a dread of using it.

Say I’m just doing gourmet burgers for the family. Startup to temp of 500 takes about 15 minutes, burgers start to finish is 15 to 18 minutes, and we are eating. Turn the grill to off. Best burgers ever.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I’ve ran into that problem of the too much smoke flavor with my offset. For bigger meats I do run through a lot of charcoal and wood which in long run I think a pellet smoker would be cheaper to run.

I’m debating on getting a Reqtec or the Masterbuit gravity fed smoker.

Alagnak1

I’ve got a pretty nice outdoor/garage kitchen and do most of the cooking. I have had and still have some of these items and they all have their time and place just like there is no one boat that does it all but I will be selling or giving a few away. Propane weber q (for the boat), weber, blackstone, offset smoker, and 3 homemade plywood propane cabinet smokers for hanging large batches of sausage in.

Last spring I was laid up with a shattered ankle and couldn’t fish. I was bored so I bought a new toy- rectec 700. I wish I would have bought it a long time ago. I still use my small gas weber in the boat and camping. I still use the weber (although less and less) to sear a steak and kabobs (still prefer burgers on the flat top). I still use the large smokers only for when I do large batches of hanging venison snack sticks that I can’t all fit in the rectec.

But for flavor, convenience, quality, speed of start up and cool down, range of temperature, relatively low fuel use and cost (I get my pellets for $15 for #40 bag at sam’s) and many other reasons not mentioned- the fancy ‘easy bake oven’ gets 95% of my cooking these days. That goes for all the traditional off set items like brisket/butts (sleep in peace on overnight cooks), venison summer sausage that I lay instead of hang like I use to and everything else it’s really hard to beat and I can NOT say I miss the flavor on anything not done on the off set. The extra air circulation cooks things very evenly and I don’t have to rotate stuff all the time. I do add a simple smoke tube to brisket/butts that I already have for cold smoking cheese but thats the only additional smoke I’ve ever introduced.

I use to make fun of the trendy pellet smokers too- and almost bought a masterbuilt gravity feed thing but had two friends who bought them and had nothing but issues because the build quality and components just aren’t there and neither was the flavor in my opinion.

I would buy another one of these in a heartbeat and plan on buying my folks a smaller one this summer as a gift. Wife said her boneless/skinless chicken breasts were $6 a lb the other day so she didn’t buy any and bought a .99/lb whole turkey instead and asked if I could cook it up. I split it in half last night and spice rubbed it. Rolled the smoker outside the garage this morning and plugged it in. I will turn the temp on from my phone before I leave the office and get home, grab a beer, throw the turkey on all in the first 5 minutes home and will be done by dinner. Lazy, convenient, smart? Call it what you will I don’t care. I like baby sitting an off set on a nice summer day when it’s not too hot when I have nothing better to do to. But I don’t like doing it 4 nights in a row when I have #150 of summer sausage for friends to smoke and it’s winter time.

castle-rock-clown

Another quick and easy meal I use my pellet grill for is pizza. Either a Lottza Mozza or a Kwik Tripp pizza. Preheat to max temp with pizza stone and bake till top just starts to bubble. The slight added smoke essence really makes it a real treat.

CaptainMusky

Another quick and easy meal I use my pellet grill for is pizza. Either a Lottza Mozza or a Kwik Tripp pizza. Preheat to max temp with pizza stone and bake till top just starts to bubble. The slight added smoke essence really makes it a real treat.

Nice! Try 7th Avenue. The best frozen pizza out there IMO.

CaptainMusky

Well I decided to pull the trigger on a easy bake oven. I bought the RecTeq Bullzeye to replace my gas grill which we havent used in 2 years. Its got direct heat vs their other pellet smokers, but they claim you get excellent smoke flavor regardless. Excited to get it and give it a whirl. Reaches temps of 749 degrees in only a few minutes. I also bought the searing grates which they claim boosts it even higher. Probably take over a week for it to arrive though so I am growing impatient. LOL

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

My Brother works at Best Buy (10 years?? 15 at Sears before that). Yesterday he was telling me that they sell a lot of smokers. The the only people who come back unhappy, came back to buy a Traeger instead.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just picked up some new grill grates for the propane Weber at Northern Fire Grilling & BBQ supply in Minnetonka. Pretty cool spot for any smoker or grilling needs!

castle-rock-clown

My Brother works at Best Buy (10 years?? 15 at Sears before that). Yesterday he was telling me that they sell a lot of smokers. The the only people who come back unhappy, came back to buy a Traeger instead.

That’s because their neighbors and family wouldn’t talk to them anymore. A Treager person who seems nice and will talk to anyone about their Treager will shun a person who buys any other brand pellet grill. Instructions on how to interact with others are even in the Treager owners manual.

castle-rock-clown

This is a bad, bad,bad,bad, bad, thread. I researched gravity smokers and fell in love with the Char Griller 980 albeit from afar. Curiosity haunted me and I had to look at one in person. I remembered years ago nursing an old offset smoker, chasing temps, keeping clean smoke, constantly monitoring the meat. I went to pellet grills for the last few years and all was pretty good. Then this thread popped up…today I bought the Char Griller. I bought a Pit Boss just a year ago and a tabletop Pit Boss a couple months ago. My nephew is building a new house, I think my one year old Pit Boss will make a nice combo birthday and housewarming present.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Reqtrec Bullseye will replace my Weber Genesis gas grill when it gives out (15 years old and still works flawlessly.) My son picked up the Bullseye last fall and has done pork shoulders, ribs, turkeys, steaks, chops on it and it does a great job of holding temp, even cooking and great taste. Pretty neat machine. It’s also $500 vs $1000 for a new Weber gas grill. Who would have ever imagined paying that much for a hunk of metal…

He will be selling his big Traeger as it takes forever to heat up and doesn’t get above 425F.

CaptainMusky

Reqtrec Bullseye will replace my Weber Genesis gas grill when it gives out (15 years old and still works flawlessly.) My son picked up the Bullseye last fall and has done pork shoulders, ribs, turkeys, steaks, chops on it and it does a great job of holding temp, even cooking and great taste. Pretty neat machine. It’s also $500 vs $1000 for a new Weber gas grill. Who would have ever imagined paying that much for a hunk of metal…

Has he had any trouble with the Bullseye? I joined a bunch of FB groups and some people seem to have trouble with flare ups and other things. Not widespread, but you can imagine those with trouble are the noisiest. I dont know why some of these people dont put a drip pan under the grate. That is why I think they have the problems they have. I will be having one under mine.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

He uses drip pans for pork shoulders, etc. – anything that doesn’t need searing. I think he had an issue during first uses; Recteq customer service solved the issue for him.

CaptainMusky

He uses drip pans for pork shoulders, etc. – anything that doesn’t need searing. I think he had an issue during first uses; Recteq customer service solved the issue for him.

Cool thanks!

Alagnak1

Pretty neat machine. It’s also $500 vs $1000 for a new Weber gas grill. Who would have ever imagined paying that much for a hunk of metal…

IDK I just paid $1000 for 6 sheets (12,14,16 gauge) to be delivered. That makes a $1000 grill or smoker look pretty good.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.