Smoker upgrade suggestions

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

I want to get back into smoking again. I had an electric smoker but had issues with it keeping temp in the winter and some other issues. I am thinking of gettting the 18″ weber bullet smoker. I was thinking of a water heater blanket or something like that for winter smoking. Also do they make racks to stand things up like ribs and fish so you can get more in there?

CaptainMusky

Check into the master built gravity series. I have a Kamado similar to green egg but I’d get those new gravity series if I was in the market.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Looks interesting, do you have one? I have a couple questions if you do or have used one.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I have had a gravity series 560 for a couple years now

onestout
    Hudson, WI

How do you light it? Can you add different wood part way through for different smoke? Can you use lump coal and briquets? Can they be mixed? How does it do in the cold?

CaptainMusky

I don’t have one because they came out after I bought my Kamado. They work like pellet grill set the temp and walk away. These are better than a pellet smoke because they produce more smoke flavor and can get to much higher temps

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Electric struggles to keep temp in the winter. You won’t have that issue so much with coal based smokers. I have a weber smokey mountain 18.5″ although I don’t use it all that much because most everything I smoke fits in my regular weber kettle

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I was looking at the Kamado’s and was about to get one of those but didn’t really want to spend that much….then was looking at the WSM but it may be more watching than I would like so I am interested in the gravity grill/smoker…..just would like to find out more about it that hopefully Pat can answer when he gets a chance since he has one.

CaptainMusky

I was looking at the Kamado’s and was about to get one of those but didn’t really want to spend that much….then was looking at the WSM but it may be more watching than I would like so I am interested in the gravity grill/smoker…..just would like to find out more about it that hopefully Pat can answer when he gets a chance since he has one.

The gravity series is really the best of all worlds. You get the better smoke flavor like a Kamado but you have the set it and forget it like a pellet grill. I may add one because a Kamado requires a good bit of prep and attention. Awesome food though but it’s definitely more work.

catnip
    south metro

I have the masterbuilt gravity 1050. Had it about a year. You can use regular charcoal and lump and the newer charcoal logs. You can mix wood in with the charcoal and add it to the ash pan. The coldest I used mine was about 5° it did great once I got it to turn on. I had to put my buddy heater under the control panel to get it to turn on 😂 but once it came on it ran flawless. Any other questions just ask. I am thinking about smoking a couple meatloaves tomorrow.

CaptainMusky

I have the masterbuilt gravity 1050. Had it about a year. You can use regular charcoal and lump and the newer charcoal logs. You can mix wood in with the charcoal and add it to the ash pan. The coldest I used mine was about 5° it did great once I got it to turn on. I had to put my buddy heater under the control panel to get it to turn on 😂 but once it came on it ran flawless. Any other questions just ask. I am thinking about smoking a couple meatloaves tomorrow.

Great feedback. Wonder why it had issues with the cold however. You don’t leave it plugged in I’m guessing? Wonder if that makes a difference.

catnip
    south metro

I still can’t figure out the quote thing haha, but to answer your question I do leave it plugged in. I fabracobbled a little bbq shack last fall and it sits in there plugged in. It’s mostly protected on 3 sides but can still see a little snow or rain if the wind is blowing from the right direction.

catnip
    south metro

It would beep when I powered it up but I think the LCD screen was frozen? So I tried some heat and it worked. Either way the chuck roast and chicken wings turned out great.

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Following. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a gravity series 560 last fall but held off. Joined a FB group for them to learn more about them and people love them but they can come with issues it seems. Parts rusting/failing, etc. It seems there is work arounds/ mods that can be made for any issues that arise but I’m still not 100% sold. Still tempted to grab one though, some people have flawless experiences.

Justin Donson

RecTeq is the answer!

Seriously great pellet smokers, UNBELIEVABLE customer service.

I’ve had one for about 4-5 years and I’ve been 100% satisfied with it, we’ve done prime rib on Christmas/New years when it was below zero outside and it never wavered more than 5 degrees off it’s set temperature. They use top tier components and hardware(super heavy gauge stainless hardware). Grates are super heavy gauge stainless, all the innards(firebox, heat deflector, etc) all heavy gauge stainless.

I’ve had a few parts wear out over the years, and they’ve just blown me away with their customer service. A few examples:

– They’ve made numerous upgrades over the years to their grills, they are now like full stainless steel cooking chambers, shelves, everything. Mine is older so it has powder coated shelf and stuff. Eventually, my shelf started rusting. They sell upgraded SS shelves for like $140 or something, but I called them and they sent me an ‘unfinished’ SS shelf for free. I just needed to run the cables through it(And they sent me brand new cables/grommets as well as a whole new set of hardware for the entire grill, it’s seriously like 5+ pounds of stainless hardware).

– My original ignitor wore out. They’ve since upgraded to ceramic ignitors that last like 10+ years or something, which again you can purchase on their site. It’s kind of a pain to install a new ignitor though, you have to take apart the grill/firebox to mount one. They just sent me a completely new firebox with a new ignitor installed, with wiring, for free. Just needed to take out a few bolts and plug the new firebox in.

There were a few more in there that I can’t remember, but every time they’ve immediately sent me new parts, for free, and been SO helpful on the phone. The grills are really well designed so they are easy to take apart should you need to replace anything.

And their customer service folks are like experts on the grills, they all work onsite in Georgia, no outsourced call centers. You call them and they will like step by step walk you through how to fix something, troubleshoot a problem, etc. Heck, when I bought my grill it came with the two owner’s business card / cell phone numbers. I still have it, they invite you to call them anytime, anywhere to get help with your grill. Years ago I remember reading stories about people calling them on 4th of July and stuff to troubleshoot problems, and sure enough, the owners sat there on the phone with them and walked them through it.

They are a great American company, I can’t recommend them enough. There is NO comparison between companies like Traeger and RecTeq. Prices aren’t that different, but recteq build quality is like 20x nicer.

The only problem is they don’t have showrooms, they drop-ship and that’s it, but that keeps prices competitive with other brands, given how much sturdier and robust these grills are.

CaptainMusky

Back when I was researching smokers before buying my kamado I almost pulled the trigger on RecTec. I agree everything I have read is that they are fantastic. I just think you get more smoke flavor from using lump charcoal, but the rectec pellet is able to reach temps not capable of something like a Traeger so it makes them wonderful for searing steaks etc.

Justin Donson

Back when I was researching smokers before buying my kamado I almost pulled the trigger on RecTec. I agree everything I have read is that they are fantastic. I just think you get more smoke flavor from using lump charcoal, but the rectec pellet is able to reach temps not capable of something like a Traeger so it makes them wonderful for searing steaks etc.

You’re absolutely right, you will get more smoke flavor out of lump charcoal than you will pellets. You can close that gap a bit by using smoke tubes, but I don’t think you’ll be able to fully replicate it.

It’s kind of like buying a boat, you generally have to compromise on something. There isn’t necessarily a wrong choice or answer, it comes down to what you’re looking for.

I like the set it and forget it nature of pellet smokers, and with the wi-fi capabilities that exist now, I can leave my house and still adjust grill temps / check meat temps from anywhere.

CaptainMusky

It’s kind of like buying a boat, you generally have to compromise on something. There isn’t necessarily a wrong choice or answer, it comes down to what you’re looking for.

I like the set it and forget it nature of pellet smokers, and with the wi-fi capabilities that exist now, I can leave my house and still adjust grill temps / check meat temps from anywhere.

Right. The first year I had my kamado I was using it every weekend. Now I havent used it much at all because its quite a bit of work to get it going and it just seem as appealing once my initial getting into smoking wore off. It really has me considering getting something more push a button and walk away. It takes me probably 45 minutes to an hour to get the temp where I can start smoking. I could get it heated up faster, but they you have the risk of overshooting your temp and thats a nightmare with a Kamado to get the temp back down.

catnip
    south metro

A company named fire board makes a fan and controller for the Kamado that can basically make it a set it and forget it smoker like a tragger or masterbuilt gravity. I am planning on getting one for my masterbuilt if mine fails. I will say the app for the masterbuilt sucks! I got it to work a couple times with my last phone a Samsung but haven’t tried it with my new phone.

castle-rock-clown

I love my BigHorn steak griller. It’s propane powered with 2 overhead ceramic sizzler elements. On high it puts out 1500 degrees F. On medium thick steaks it’s 4 minutes each side and you get a perfect medium rare inside with a nice sear/char on the outside. Flavor is phenomenal. On really thick steaks I sear then place them in my Pit Boss pellet grill set to 300 degrees, insert the probe and bring them up to 125 -130 degrees for medium rare. Best steak you’ll ever have. Otherwise my Pit Boss does all my other smoking and grilling.

CaptainMusky

On really thick steaks I sear then place them in my Pit Boss pellet grill set to 300 degrees, insert the probe and bring them up to 125 -130 degrees for medium rare. Best steak you’ll ever have. Otherwise my Pit Boss does all my other smoking and grilling.

Do this in reverse ie reverse sear. I bet you will like that better. Searing first doesnt allow as much smoke flavor.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Lots of good suggestions. For me I am going to stay away from pellets and pucks and gas. I am going to get the MB 560 and try that out, if it works out good I will design and build my own heavier duty unit with better controls etc. Picking it up tonight hoping to get a chance to season it this weekend.

castle-rock-clown

Lots of good suggestions. For me I am going to stay away from pellets and pucks and gas. I am going to get the MB 560 and try that out, if it works out good I will design and build my own heavier duty unit with better controls etc. Picking it up tonight hoping to get a chance to season it this weekend.

Did you look at the Char Grill gravity feed. Stronger fire box. Heavier gauge steel.

castle-rock-clown

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>castle-rock-clown wrote:</div>
    On really thick steaks I sear then place them in my Pit Boss pellet grill set to 300 degrees, insert the probe and bring them up to 125 -130 degrees for medium rare. Best steak you’ll ever have. Otherwise my Pit Boss does all my other smoking and grilling.

Do this in reverse ie reverse sear. I bet you will like that better. Searing first doesnt allow as much smoke flavor.

I will be trying both. The reason for the sear first method for me is I have better control of internal temperature. I love that majic doneness right between rare and medium. The lower finishing temp reduces carryover resulting in more doneness while resting.

duh queen

How do you light it? Can you add different wood part way through for different smoke? Can you use lump coal and briquets? Can they be mixed? How does it do in the cold?

Unless you’re fond of the taste of sulfur, stay away from anything not wood. You’re too young to appreciate the stench of an old coal fired furnace or locomotive, but they stink! I can’t imagine that taste in my mouth.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Easy bake ovens (pellet grills) are nice, and produce an ok product. But nothing beats stick burning! Weber Kettle or Barrel work great or if you want to step up a notch an offset smoker with reverse flow would be my next choice in smoker. Nothing better than tending the fire all day imo!

CaptainMusky

Easy bake ovens (pellet grills) are nice

I call them that too. Most people who use other types of smokers call them that.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Easy bake ovens (pellet grills) are nice, and produce an ok product. But nothing beats stick burning! Weber Kettle or Barrel work great or if you want to step up a notch an offset smoker with reverse flow would be my next choice in smoker. Nothing better than tending the fire all day imo!

I have an off-set smoker and love the flavor it provides but sometimes it would be nice to set it and forget. I think I would smoke more because when I fire up my smoker its pretty much an all day project for whatever I smoke.

CaptainMusky

I have an off-set smoker and love the flavor it provides but sometimes it would be nice to set it and forget. I think I would smoke more because when I fire up my smoker its pretty much an all day project for whatever I smoke.

I have fallen into this trap too. The first 2 years of owning the kamado I was smoking all the time. Now I havent fired it up in months. Its quite the endeavor to get it going and monitoring hence my interest in the master built gravity feed or similar models. Its really the best of both worlds.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.