Smoked pike

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

My Friday evening project.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20171201_203017067.jpg

Iowaboy1

dang it !! I would head that way if I knew there was any leftovers !!
    looks awesome glenn57 !

glenn57
    cold spring mn

waytogo thanks.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Well that would be something I’ve never seen before. Most all smoked fish I can think of is an oily fish. Pike…not at all. Does it have the texture of a saltine cracker?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Wet or dry brined first?

wet. Pretty simple brine. 2 qts water, 1 cup each pickling SALT and sugar. Then I add soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Plus whatever seasonings I can find.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Well that would be something I’ve never seen before. Most all smoked fish I can think of is an oily fish. Pike…not at all. Does it have the texture of a saltine cracker?

nope. Trick is not to overdo it. Actually a pretty tasty smoked fish

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I would imagine a very tasty smoked fish being that pike are very tasty to start with. Other smoked fish like tullibee or other cisco are smoked because you wouldn’t fry or bake them up to eat. Yuck.
    Smoked salmon and lake trout are wonderful, but they are oily. If pike work, why not walleye too?

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

I would imagine a very tasty smoked fish being that pike are very tasty to start with. Other smoked fish like tullibee or other cisco are smoked because you wouldn’t fry or bake them up to eat. Yuck.
    Smoked salmon and lake trout are wonderful, but they are oily. If <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike work, why not walleye too?

smoked walleye?? nope,aint no good,dont try it,trust me,yucky,you will have every turkey buzzard in the country showing up at your place if you try it.
    crap,I know dang well those warnings wont do any good,sigh.
    there goes my hopes of catching anymore walleye lol

robby
    Quad Cities

Num mums. Gotta admit I enzy you.

Sam
    St.Francis

I smoked some crappies last year just gutted and scaled I wonder if that would work for pike too instead of filleting them

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

Smoked salmon and lake trout are wonderful, but they are oily. If <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike work, why not walleye too?

smoked walleye?? nope,aint no good,dont try it,trust me,yucky,you will have every turkey buzzard in the country showing up at your place if you try it.
    crap,I know dang well those warnings wont do any good,sigh.
    there goes my hopes of catching anymore <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye lol

jester whistling my brother smoked walleye out of the sconnie river. Pretty dang good.

Sam… Not sure how that turn out??;why scale the fish!! With pike I’d theink getting the smoke to penetrate the fish would be the issue.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I knew some brothers who would smoke anything that had scales and lived in water. Sunfish, crappie, salmon, lakers, waldo and even pike, not to mention the usual smoked fish culprits on the low end of the chain. They had it down to an art and it was all good.

Glenn is right about not over doing it. Every specie smoked has a limit that if crossed will wreck the table quality.

That looks good Bud, don’t choke on any bones!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

My brother smoked some big walleyes from Erie and they were excellent

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

my brother smoked <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye out of the sconnie river. Pretty dang good.

Bet there were some sauger in the mix…from the Wisco river. Mmm…smoked sauger. peace

My brother smoked some big walleyes from Erie and they were excellent

Some years back, you’d never try that. They’d ignite into a flaming chemical fire. shock

Think I’ll be smoking some walleye. Gotta love smoking fish…

Attachments:
    1. smokingfish.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

looks good. what temp did you smoke it at and for how long if you dont mind me asking?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

well i actually cheat. i use a brinkman charcoal smoker. i bake the fish at 225 for about 45 minutes, then put it in the smoker. let it in there till it quits smoking.usually about 2-2 1/2 hours. i use an old metal 3 lb coffee can filled with hickory smoking chips. soak them for about an hour or so.

gotalunker
    Zimmerman, MN

How long do u brine it? I got some fresh crappies I’d like to try skoking. Never done it before so any tips are appreciated.

robby
    Quad Cities

Recipe/procedure please! Looks awesome.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Recipe/procedure please! Looks awesome.

I have the brine receipe about 5 posts down. Like I said earlier I have a charcoal smoker. I have the fish in brine 24 hours. I rinse them off, dry them with paper towels. Put them on a cookie sheet bake them for 45 minutes at 225 degrees. I have an old 3 lb metal coffee can of hickory chips soaked in water a couple hours. Lite grill, drain water off chips and when the coals are white I dump the chips on and let it smoke till it’s done smoking, about 3 hours. I’d think if you have a gas or electric smoker you wouldn’t need to bake just gotta experiment.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

How long do u brine it? I got some fresh <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappies I’d like to try skoking. Never done it before so any tips are appreciated.

I limit the size of my pike to smoke from 2 to 3-3 1/2 lb fish and brine for 24 hours roughly. On crappies I wouldn’t think you’d need to brine mire then 12 hours.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.