Smart phone viruses and adware???

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

On only a couple websites like ido, lake link, and a shooting forum I’m on, I get the pop up as shown below and I can’t go back or do anything but close the chrome app. Have no idea where this came from or how to get rid of it. Been downloading every scanner and ad block and it continues to pop up. Seems most frequent when there is an ad on the screen like the link to the YouTube shows or marcum, prize giveaways. Anyone else experience and how the heck did you get to of it?

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20180216-083946.png

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It looks like a popup ad that gets into memory. There have been a number of these going around.

First, get rid of all the apps you have installed, anti-virus, etc unless they come from very reputable brand names. Often these are the cause of more problems than the fix.

Shut down the phone completely and reboot. This will force close Chrome.

Go to Settings > Device Maintainance, and clean the memory and the storage.

Try Chrome again.

If the popup appears again, go to Apps and uninstall Chrome. Reboot the phone again. Then re-install Chrome from the app store.

Grouse

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

A couple things to try:
    1. try hitting the back button and see if you can go back to the previous page you were on. If successful, clear cache and history.

2. try opening a new tab(square box with number to right of address bar. click on plus sign that appears in upper left). select the new tab. click on the tab button again and close the tab with the pop up. Clear cache and history.

I have had these pop ups as well, and either of the above have allowed me to back out of the pop up page.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

You should always clear out your cache and history after looking at adult sites whistling
    It is actually a good habit to clear this stuff out once a month. It will help keep down on the crap you see in ads and keep your phone running faster. It is also a good idea to reset your phone once a month. I normally clear it and reset it on the 1st of each month.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Also disable any crap you don’t use and can’t delete from your phone like Facebook

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.