Smallmouth season closed?

• Ken Ganzer

Hello all,

I’ve read articles and seen videos about smallmouth bass fishing in the Mississippi River near Monticello. I was all fired up to give it a try (on a short vacation from out of state) when I realized that I may be too late for this year. Is the smallmouth bass season closed now? 

You’d think I could figure this out on my own, but I find the Minnesota regulations on this topic somewhat confusing. And adding to the confusion are the videos I see that are dated late March and even early April. 

So forgive me but I want to get clarification: Is smallmouth bass fishing on the Mississippi closed now? Or can I still try it? Thanks!!!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Videos you saw were maybe from pools further down or posted after the season closed. If you look at the regulations and know the difference in Mississippi pools and areas north. There shouldn’t be any confusion.

Ken Ganzer

Thanks for the info everyone. Dustin, it seems you’re right about the videos. I didn’t know about “pools”. But I think I’m getting it now. I’ll keep a trip to Monticello in mind for next winter. Thanks!

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

I don’t understand the season closures for bass, particularly smallmouth. If the fishing is catch-and-release only starting in September, why do they need to close it? Bass don’t spawn until May/June anyways, so it’s not like you’re protecting the spawning fish, right?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

A lot of our regulations don’t really make sense. But it takes time to change.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I just saw that smallmouth bass fishing will be closed on Mille Lacs starting December 1, 2019 running until May 2020 to align with current state regulations. Not that anyone really targets a smallie from their fish shack during the winter anyways.

catmando
    wis

If there is a c-r season that explains it, a closed season means targeting the fish that has a closed season is against the law.” Once a fish limit is reached, it is against the law to fish for that fish”. told to me by a Wis warden.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The Monticello season closes from Feb. 23th until May 11.

Ken Ganzer

Mahtofire14, thanks for the info. Very helpful. Looks like I’ll be trying the Monticello area next winter.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If there is a c-r season that explains it, a closed season means targeting the fish that has a closed season is against the law.” Once a fish limit is reached, it is against the law to fish for that fish”. told to me by a Wis warden.

That is actually not true, at least here in MN its not. I thought the same thing until someone corrected me on it. If you have a limit of a certain species of fish, you can continue to fish for them on a catch and release basis. For years I thought you had to quit once you got to your limit so I would stop 1 short so I could keep fishing. For example, the daily bag limit of walleye on mille lacs is one. So if you catch your one keeper, are you saying you can’t keep fishing for them? That’s not true. It is true that you cannot specifically target a species during a closed portion of the season. I’m not refuting that part of your statement.

catmando
    wis

Wisconsin warden told, me once a limit of fish, say walleyes, is in possession, targeting that fish is illegal. Far as Minnesota, I have no idea.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.