Curly Sue and Suzy Sucker

• lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

I missed round one of the plastics phenomenon known as the Bulldawg, but I am ready and willing for round two with the Suzy Sucker and the Curly Sue from Shack Attack Lures.

Anyone else fished with these baits, if so what is your take.

If you have not fished these baits, are you excited as I am?

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Hadn’t even heard of them until today. Look like nice baits. Seems like the whole market is moving in two directions right now. Plastics and Double Bladed Bucks.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I don’t know why anyone in their right mind would want to fish plastics …….They do catch fish, that is for sure. These are new baits to me as well, very interesting.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I threw a Suzy around last year a while. A follow or two. No fish but great potential. Pretty versatile in how many ways you can fish it too.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Thats the beauty with plastics, you can do no wrong with them. Pull, pause…..jig them, or a straight retreive anything goes

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

I don’t know why anyone in their right mind would want to fish plastics …….They do catch fish, that is for sure. These are new baits to me as well, very interesting.

Bob… you are a funny man!

My Musky buddies are really happy with the Suzy Sucker action last season…I just HAD to get a couple

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Bob;
    on the Tubes, do you use the treble hook at all?
    or
    do you cut it off to make it more weedless?

Bob Bowman
    MN

Dan and I have talked endlessly about that. It seems that 95% of the hook ups are always on the single hook. We keep going back and forth about it. Without the treble hook it becomes more weedless, but I hate to miss fish based on the fact that we cut the treble off. So to answer your question, I am still using the treble trailer off the back.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I think this year, I’m going to cut it off for the weed fish, but leave them on for the rock fish.

Technically, when you look at bass fishing, a guy shouldn’t need the treble at all. Actually, any bass guy reading this right now probably think we are nuts for having a treble hook on a tube……

Bob Bowman
    MN

The other thing about the tube being weedless without the treble. When we fish these tubes, it is usually off a very steep break, so the weedless factor only comes into play when the bait hits the water and for the first few rod pupms, onces it starts to fall down the break you will very seldomly hook weeds, but the bait does sometimes fowl because of that treble trailer. Can you tell that I am still on the fecne about this….Not sure if there is a right or wrong answer to this but I still like to have the trailer there for back up.

Bob Bowman
    MN

One last thing. Floro-Carbon leaders work great for fishing plastics. We have been using them for a few years and I love them. The baits seems to have a more natural action.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I second the flouro leader option for any type of fishing that involves a jig or tube. The action is 1000 times better that way. The tiger tubes also work great fished non-traditionally. Fish ’em fast and erratic with short or almost no pauses at all( even ripping them across the surface)…You will be rewarded!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.