Your impression of the show???

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Being this was my first show, wondering what everyone else thought about the show. I was expecting a little more, but it was cool to look at all the custom lures out there. Got out of there with two new Phantoms. How about the rest of you??

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I wasn’t all that impressed myself.. Was hoping to see a few more of the guys that make baits out of thier basements. Some of the most impressive new baits I’ve seen are coming from these guys nowadays. I also only spent money on the new curly tailed Phantoms.

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

I thought it was better than it has been in about 5 years for tackle and such. There were some decent deals to be had. It seemed there was less custom stuff….I thought the last few years it was more geared to all custom paint jobs and therefore the prices on the stuff was very high. This year didn’t seem to be that way.
    I didn’t see any real “big” names as far as guest speakers, at least not Saturday..In the past I thought that aspect was a little better.
    I got a few baits, including one with the formula X plastic…That is some cool stuff…

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

I also only spent money on the new curly tailed Phantoms.

Those curly tailed Phantoms don’t catch fish…..

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I was sold on a couple of those new Dunwright Tackle lifelike twich/crank baits with the formula X. Does anybody have any experience with them yet or impressions? If nothing else they do a good job at hooking musky fishermen.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Bob and I got to fish the prototypes last fall. All I can say is these baits are gonna catch fish. We tested both sizes of the Pike, action is incredible, really no way to fish it wrong. We are currently working on some custom color patterns for ourselves, perhaps we will work out a deal were these colors are only available to IDA members. I will keep all of you guys updated.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Kooty I did not go this year, but for many folks they have the same opinion. Costs associated with going to a show can be costly, why pay a premium to buy what can be purchased on the internet in standard factory colors, etc. As far as speakers and speaker venue go the Extreme Show at the Medina Ballroom is usually great, but is really small when it comes to tackle.

Other websites have talked this one to death, but I think there should be some concern. We are hearing that basement bait baits are really costly to make due to rising raw material costs. The other argument is that injection molded baits are very over priced in relation to something handcrafted. It is hard to please everyone.

Not sure if this lends to increasing or hendering the growth of the sport and muskie shows. A newbie may shy at attending shows due to cover charges, parking charges, vendor food prices, etc…

Real benefit I get, as a muskie newbie, is listening to speakers and talking to lure makers, helps me in understanding how to present their product while on the water.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.