WX2000T with a “what” on the back!?

• mark o

See if you guys can figure this one out or maybe someone knows this person. While fishing the Walleye Weekend tournament this past weekend, I saw an extraordinary sight. I saw a WX2000T with a 225 Verado tiller on the back. I did like five takes. I wish I had one of them fancy camera phones to take a picture. My dealer in Fond du Lac puts Mercs on Skeeters, but he had no memory of this boat. I wish I had time to flag the guy down and see what the deal was. Can you imaging that rig. Picture yourself on a cool March morning on pool 4. Flying down the river at 60mph with no console in front of you. James, a boat like that is just calling your name. Forget the 2100 with a 300 on it. You need a 20ft tiller with a 225 on it.

gregstew
    Red Wing, MN

WHY????
    A little too much motor for me to be used as a tiller!!

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

This One?

If that boat came apart there is a lot of fiber glass in front of you that can end up in your

red89
    Hudson

How can you run a boat that is over the limit for motor size in a tournament?
    I never understood why boats with consoles the same size as a tiller boat can run larger motors…

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Mark,
    The Skeeter WX2000T/225 V-rod is owned by Matt Merten of Merten Marine in Oshkosh WI. Give him a call at (920) 231-6751. I got a chance to run it a few weekends ago, it’s a pretty sweet ride!
    HRG

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

I never understood why boats with consoles the same size as a tiller boat can run larger motors…

A long time ago, the USCG created these “ratings” formulas, which effectively rate a “tiller” controlled OB at roughly 1/2 the hp rating of a “remote” (steering wheel) version, on the same hull. Development work is underway, and prototypes are out there, of a “remote” tiller that will satisfy the USCG/AYBC definition of “remote”, yet use a “tiller” handle, like these pics show.

HRG

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Way cool a Remote Tiller

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Is the topic boat a remote tiller?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

Is the topic boat a remote tiller?

No, the Big Tiller handle is attached to the 225 Verado, using a custom adaptor.
    HRG

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

So it’s not legal?

mark o

Yep, that is the boat I saw.

I was surprised that the boat sat pretty level in the water considering the weight of the motor. It was a pretty sweet looking rig. No, he was not in the tournament, just out for fun.

I’ve heard that any boat over 20ft can take just about any size motor. I suppose if he removes the hp rating placard, what can they do. He just couldn’t fish any tournaments. However he gets away with it, I don’t care. Just thought is was pretty sweet to see.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Dont want to while driving that one, might take a bug down the hatch

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.