Travel with cover on?

• skeeterbear

I got a ZX 2050 last fall. I made a few trips with the custom made cover on becuase of rain. The cover is leaving some pretty nasty marks that are hard to buff out. Does anybody have a slick trick to prevent this. I would like to travel with it on but if is going to wreck my boat I will leave it off.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

I tow with my cover on 95% of the time, never leaves a mark. Key is getting it on super tight. My custom skeeter cover on my zx225 has a ratchet strap that works excellent.

I have seen people use saran to put on the contact points, but I use nothing of the sort.

pool-8-lax
    La Crosse Wisconsin

I never travel with my cover on. I put it on if needed when I get to my destination

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Key is getting it on super tight.

Yep, if it cant move it won’t leave marks…

skeeterbear

I can’t see it move in my rear view mirror. I will have a buddy follow me and see if it moves.
    Thanks

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I’m having some similar issues on my WX2000T. I have an appointment for some upgrades to my cover on Monday. I took it in yesterday for an estimate and the guy at the boat cover shop said it’s too loose. He’s got some plans to tighten things up a little and says he guaentees it will solve the problems.

I’ll try to remember to post some pics of before and after changes he makes.

cdn
    West Central, MN

Is this a heavy duty vinyl cover or a polyester custom cover? I’ve owned a heavy duty vinyl cover for an aluminum boat, and I can see this cover rubbing on fiberglass creating marks in the clear coat. Especially if there is dirt/dust between the cover and the boat.

I have a custom built heavy duty polyester cover for my Skeeter and I’ve never had an issue. I tow with the cover on on long trips, and it’s fastened very tight.

skeeterbear

It is a heavy duty cover, I think it is a vinyl. It fits pretty good but is stiff and kind of abrasive. I am thinking about seeing if someone can sew a soft liner in it.
    Or will it be a waste of time?
    Thanks

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Thanks for the info on the this post. I just brought my Skeeter in to get a custom cover and they said number 1 is to keep the cover tight and number 2 they offered to reinforce all corners and major contact areas with fleece or another material he mentioned.

cdn
    West Central, MN

That is a great cover, and I would definitely consider a soft liner on the inside. It will definitely help, IMO.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Here’s a couple of pictures of my cover after I took it in Monday to have some upgrades done.

It used to have one pole and was supported by the 3 seats. I’ve seen cover wear through seats before so we added 3 more poles to make sure it doesn’t touch any of the seats. I also had vent poles install to help with circulation. I had them add 2 more straps on each side towards the back. These two major improvments alone make the biggest difference. It’s super tight now and there is no way any rain can pool anywhere now. As you can also see in the picture I added a flap and a couple turn buttons at the splash well. This area was really showing some wear from flapping against the tiller handle. We also added reinforcements on the 4 rail/rodholder areas plus a few other small areas. This was a factory Skeeter cover with the rachet strap that goes all the way around the boat. So, we added some vinyl reinforcements on the back corners to prevent gel coat wear.

This thing it nice and tight now and doesn’t move at all, even at interstate speeds.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.