Should DNR extend walleye fishing, now that ice is better?

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

© Dennis Anderson, Star Tribune/Star Tribune/TNS

Anderson: Should DNR extend walleye fishing, now that ice is better?

Walleye fishing on Mille Lacs has been curtailed this winter due to mild weather and weak ice. Extending the season would allow for more fishing, while helping area businesses.

After 28 years of owning a resort on Mille Lacs, Kevin McQuoid sold his business a couple of years ago. But he still knows how important ice fishing was on that big lake to his operation’s bottom line.

“About 60% of our annual income on Mille Lacs came from about Christmas until the end of February,” McQuoid said. “Once good ice gets on the lake, you really have to push it until the end of the winter season to make the business work.”

The problem this year is that good ice, varying between 8 and 12 inches, is just now taking hold on Mille Lacs. By Wednesday this week, side-by-sides were pulling smaller wheel houses onto the lake.

”When we owned the resort we had 35 rental houses and we took care of about 150 private houses,” McQuoid said. “That’s a lot of work, but also a lot of business. With the weather we’ve had and lack of ice, everyone on the lake is about three weeks behind.”
    The same tale of winter woe is being told and retold to the Canadian border.

Retail sales of ice fishing gear are down, resorts have had multiple cancellations, and motels, restaurants and gas stations have lost significant income because ice anglers have been forced to stay on shore — rather than on frozen water, drilling holes and fishing for walleyes.

Thus a question being asked among anglers and winter tourist operators alike:

Related video: Ice fishing season off to slow start due to milder winter (Fox Weather)
    you know we we had a a pretty good start

Why doesn’t the Department of Natural Resources extend the walleye season a couple of weeks this winter past the Feb. 28 scheduled closure (except on Minnesota-Canada border lakes, where the season runs to mid-April) to give anglers more opportunities to fish, while also allowing resorts and others businesses to recoup some lost income?

Calls, texts and e-mails relaying that question to the agency’s fisheries boss, Brad Parsons, elicited no response. A manager in the commissioner’s office didn’t want to be quoted. And Brian Nerbonne, regional fisheries manager, said he was unfamiliar with DNR rules or procedures that would have to be followed to extend winter walleye fishing.

Yet implementing a variable season closing date isn’t a new idea. In recent years the DNR has established harvest triggers on Mille Lacs to restrict or maintain angler walleye harvests, depending on success rates.

Longtime (and semi-retired) guide in the Brainerd Lakes area, Marv Koep, backs the longer season idea for this winter.

“Extending it for walleyes would help some people, including some fishermen,” Koep said. “And it wouldn’t hurt walleye populations. The best walleye bite in winter is in December.”

As on Mille Lacs, good ice is just now forming on some — though not necessarily all — Brainerd area lakes.

“I’m all for extending the season,” said Dan Elgen of Walleyedan’s Guide Service, serving Brainerd-Nisswa area lakes. Elgen cautioned not all lakes he fishes are freezing uniformly. Finding safe ice on one area lake, he pulled his wheelhouse onto that frozen body of water Wednesday. But he was surprised a day earlier while checking a part of Gull Lake he regularly fishes in winter to find only about 5 inches of ice, the same thickness he measured before the recent cold spell.

There’s no guarantee, in fact, that generally safe ice will hold on northern Minnesota lakes (not to mention metro lakes) into, say, the middle of March.

Case in point: Though temperatures Jan. 21-27 are generally expected to be below freezing at night in the Mille Lacs area, forecast highs on some days during that period are in the mid-30s.

Yet whether walleyes are legal fare this year in March or not, ice anglers seeking crappies and perch will be on hundreds, if not thousands, of Minnesota lakes that month seeking those species.

What’s the harm in letting them keep a walleye if they trick one into biting?

“We’re about three weeks behind on Leech Lake,” said Cam Merchant, an owner of Horseshoe Bay Lodge on that lake. Ice in the portion of Leech where Merchant was putting houses on the lake beginning Jan. 18 measured between 12 and 15 inches, he said.

“We’re just getting our houses out now. Even an additional week would help the resorts up here,” Merchant said. “The warm weather has hurt gas stations, bait shops, local restaurants, just about everyone in the northern part of the state. I think you would get agreement from just about anyone in Minnesota to extend the walleye season.”

With his wife, Debbie, Darrell Hoffman owns Everett Bay Lodge on Lake Vermilion. Though their resort isn’t open in winter, Darrell is an ice fisherman who has seen firsthand the effect that unseasonably temperate weather has had on Vermilion ice.

“I think it’s a valiant idea to keep walleye fishing open a couple more weeks than normal this winter,” Hoffman said. “But it would be super dependent on the weather. We could have an early thaw, or we could have ice on the lake until the day before the May [open water] opener.”

On Upper Red Lake, where anglers at times in early December had to be rescued after ice cracks opened to reveal watery gaps, some resort owners have wondered why Lake of the Woods gets such a long walleye ice fishing season, while walleye angling on Upper Red — just an hour or so south of Lake of the Woods — ends the same day as lakes in the metro and elsewhere in the state.

“I’d definitely support an extension of the walleye season,” said Kevin Waldo, an owner of West Wind Resort on Upper Red. “We lost that week or two around Christmas and New Year’s, and we’d support anything that would help get some of that business back.”

©2024 StarTribune. Visit startribune.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

jimmysiewert

No. Sometimes things work out – sometimes they don’t, whether with hobbies or livelihoods. When everyone starts wanting exceptions – then everyone wants it as a norm.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

What is wrong with that guy? God forbid we could let the lakes and fish rest for a bit.

Ripjiggen

Should they?
    Well not till IDO goes back and fourth and the DNR has a roundtable.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

What is wrong with that guy? God forbid we could let the lakes and fish rest for a bit.

I think his thinking is more concern for the Business’s in the area than the fish. A large portion of lots of business’s income is from a time that they had little income this year
    That said I still don’t think they should extend the season due to it. Just one of many factors that play into a business that owners need to account for.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sucks that the income is down for them. But that’s the game they bought in to.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

^ This. Same as the rest of us. Plan for the down times.

3Rivers

Here’s a better idea, how about getting rid of the stupid seasons altogether and let people fish year round. Enough of the nonsense.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Here’s a better idea, how about getting rid of the stupid seasons altogether and let people fish year round. Enough of the nonsense.

Jeez Darren you are a hammer today, hitting everything on the head! applause They should just keep it open, or at least extend the season until April 1 every year going forward.

CaptainMusky

100%. If they cannot handle the bad times dont get fat and happy in the good times.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Bearcat89 wrote:

Totally agree. Time to scrap this idea began that the DNR and the anglers of MN owe the resort owners a minimum level of income and that the whole world has to be rearranged to support them. Don’t like dealing with the vagaries of weather? Get out of the fishing business, that’s for damn sure.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Wade Boardman wrote:</div>
    Bearcat89 wrote:

Totally agree. Time to scrap this idea began that the DNR and the anglers of MN owe the resort owners a minimum level of income and that the whole world has to be rearranged to support them. Don’t like dealing with the vagaries of weather? Get out of the fishing business, that’s for damn sure.

Amen.

Any move to adjust seasons is a slippery slope. Seasons, limits, etc. are set and managed in a way that establishes precedent and shouldn’t take into consideration changes for the financial gain/survival of select businesses.

The operations that provide access to the resources in an organized, safe, responsible way will continue to flourish despite a shorter season this year. If someone irresponsibly expanded without taking into account the variability of our climate, than that’s something they will learn from.

Heaven forbid a few of the big time lakes get an extra few weeks of a “break” compared to normal years… coffee

Ripjiggen

Could not agree more.
    Arbitrary start and stop times.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just double the limit for the rest of the season.

3Rivers

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3Rivers wrote:</div>

Could not agree more.
    Arbitrary start and stop times.

I’m all for having set “harvest” seasons, that doesn’t need to change, but if a guy or gal wants to spend a weekend out on the ice and catch and release a few fish why not? Plus, if you want to restrict certain spawning areas than sure also why not. We can use some common sense here, I would think.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Nope. It’s called mother nature!

big_g
    Isle, MN

They have been opening and closing Walleye on Mille Lacs different times of the season, like someone flipping a light switch for the past several seasons. Now they act like its unheard of. coffee

BigWerm
    SW Metro

They have been opening and closing Walleye on Mille Lacs different times of the season, like someone flipping a light switch for the past several seasons. Now they act like its unheard of. coffee

Dennis would be better off asking the tribe directly. Or conversely if the Tribe had a big fishing business, the season would have already been expanded.

Justin riegel

Should they close the season early when there is safe walking ice in early Nov and Wheel houses by Thanksgiving?

OG Net_Man

Yes, we need to support those trying to profit off of a public resource…..

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yes, we need to support those trying to profit off of a public resource…..

I am sure their taxes along the shores are not representative of it. coffee

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I get most peoples thoughts on the business’s and for the most part agree. Just remember when a resort, Bait store, Restaurant, or Bar goes out of business in a area you like to fish, to not bitch when you can’t find a resort to stay at, A bait store to get bait at, a restaurant to get some food at, or a bar to get a Beer or drink at. Some business in areas have been hit rather hard by various factors in recent years. Just saying !

Was going to say the same thing. Some of you guys act like resort owners are wealthy. The majority I know barely make ends meet.

Personally I like having a couple bars/restaurants and bait shops to choose from. I’ve seen way more close their doors in the past few years than open.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Should they close the season early when there is safe walking ice in early Nov and Wheel houses by Thanksgiving?

The season should be the season. Catch and release should be year round. But changing seasons to make business more profitable isn’t the solution. I guess when rainy river doesn’t open fast enough and the years the river is only open for a week before season end, should we extend it another month?
    You bought in to a business that every one knows isn’t all positives.

AK Guy

I for one what not like to see the end of the traditional walleye opener. And, if you think the walleye population is vulnerable because of Livescope, imagine fishing on spawning beds. There are other fish you can target year round. Give the walleyes a break.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3Rivers wrote:</div>

I for one what not like to see the end of the traditional walleye opener. And, if you think the walleye population is vulnerable because of Livescope, imagine fishing on spawning beds. There are other fish you can target year round. Give the <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleyes a break.

Yeah let the nets take care of that. whistling

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Personally I don’t give a rats azz if they extend the season or not. I’ll be down south fishing the ocean end of Feb and early March. By the time I get back I’ll want nothing to do with ice.

I just think its funny to act like resorts and bait shops are a bunch of fat-cats asking for a bailout. Pretty much the exact opposite.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Personally I don’t give a rats azz if they extend the season or not. I’ll be down south fishing the ocean end of Feb and early March. By the time I get back I’ll want nothing to do with ice.

I just think its funny to act like resorts and bait shops are a bunch of fat-cats asking for a bailout. Pretty much the exact opposite.

I don’t think anyone said they were.

Jimmy Jones

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

This.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Are all of you heartless metro millionaires? Tourism is Minnesota. When you’re up here at resorts and hotels the owners are your best friends and then you go home and say “suck it up Bucko!” This is very strange thread.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.