Should DNR extend walleye fishing, now that ice is better?

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Agree, dead on arrival. For ice business on Mille Lacs for example, a big chunk of that income is skid house rentals. They would need a one week extension on the house off date too. (Assuming a 2 week walleye season ext) Also, most guys who would be fishing those later dates are probably going to LOW, Devils or other trips already planed or planning in the works.

-J.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Are all of you heartless metro millionaires? Tourism is Minnesota. When you’re up here at resorts and hotels the owners are your best friends and then you go home and say “suck it up Bucko!” This is very strange thread.

Well said.
    I can’t imagine a Minnesota without small town bait shops and resorts.
    We’ve lost so many over time already. They get all the support I can give them.
    If extending the season helps them scratch out a living it’s a no brainer to me. What’s it going to hurt?
    I’ll gladly capitalize on the extended season, assuming we still have ice that is.
    If the ice goes out is an early opener out of the question?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I guess the issue here for me is that we don’t know what the weather is going to be like a month. It’s already been so warm, with heavy rain on Christmas. It looks warm again next week too. This is a slippery slope to go down. I’’m all for helping outdoor related businesses but changing dates set a year in advance is unrealistic because of uncontrollable variables.

Deuces

Noone here thinks resort owners are rich and living the wealthy lifestyle, nor has that been eluded to here. Been plenty of threads of folks whom know these businesses and its no walk in the park, anyone whos been to any of the thousands of smaller resorts all across our great state knows this. These owners themselves are usually found around campfires mingling with their customers and everyone I’ve ever met are great folks as I’m sure most here would agree with.

But, business is business. It sucks, but it is what it is.

I tip my hat to them for doing what they do and I wish them luck in these tougher times and I’ll do what I can to support them thru road passes, bait, buying a handful of lures I probably don’t need and even will sacrifice my liver for some drinks at their bars toast

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I think the decision should be based on biology, on what is best for the fishery. Anything else is short sighted.

SR

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Are all of you heartless metro millionaires? Tourism is Minnesota. When you’re up here at resorts and hotels the owners are your best friends and then you go home and say “suck it up Bucko!” This is very strange thread.

Who said that ? That’s one way to twist words. Almost as good as how my lady friend can twist words.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I think the decision should be based on biology, on what is best for the fishery. Anything else is short sighted.

SR

Is this not what the season is already based on ? I’m not sure ?

Jason

I think Walz should incorporate it into his infrastructure bill and provide a cash bailout to the Mille Lacs resorts like they did a few years ago. Maybe it will increase my property value up there some. coffee

big_g
    Isle, MN

The same people who trip all over themselves trying to help the Haitians when they have weather mess with their livelihood, tell their neighbors affected by weather to suck it up. coffee

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I think Walz should incorporate it into his infrastructure bill and provide a cash bailout to the Mille Lacs resorts like they did a few years ago. Maybe it will increase my property value up there some. coffee

maybe design a new flag for the lake too!!!! whistling wave doah redface

OG Net_Man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>3rdtryguy wrote:</div>

Well said.
    I can’t imagine a Minnesota without small town bait shops and resorts.
    We’ve lost so many over time already. They get all the support I can give them.
    If extending the season helps them scratch out a living it’s a no brainer to me. What’s it going to hurt?
    I’ll gladly capitalize on the extended season, assuming we still have ice that is.
    If the ice goes out is an early opener out of the question?

What? Well said? WTF – Yours maybe well said but surely not the post that you are responding to.

Dan
    Southeast MN

There sure are a lot of people being judged and labeled in this thread based on a few sentences or preconceived notions.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

IDGAF what ends up happening here but to simply say “that’s business” is interesting.

When farmers face hardships from weather, climate and more recently, foreign policy. They get subsidies to stay afloat.

Does “that’s business” apply to them too?

CaptainMusky

IDGAF what ends up happening here but to simply say “that’s business” is interesting.

When farmers face hardships from weather, climate and more recently, foreign policy. They get subsidies to stay afloat.

Does “that’s business” apply to them too?

I think that is a bit of a different scenario comparing farmers to a business owner IMO. Farmers produce products that are consumed globally and would cripple the economy if they were not subsidized in certain circumstances. Remember when the grain all got stuck on the Mississippi because it was so low and the barges couldnt move? That caused a huge spike in costs.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I think that is a bit of a different scenario comparing farmers to a business owner IMO. Farmers produce products that are consumed globally and would cripple the economy if they were not subsidized in certain circumstances. Remember when the grain all got stuck on the Mississippi because it was so low and the barges couldnt move? That caused a huge spike in costs.

Farming isn’t business???
    In many small towns up north, fishing is the economy. Towns like Isle, Walker, and many more would be ghost towns without the fishing industry.

CaptainMusky

Farming isn’t business???
    In many small towns up north, fishing is the economy. Towns like Isle, Walker, and many more would be ghost towns without the fishing industry.

Didnt say it wasnt, but comparing a resort losing money because there is no ice to a farmer losing his crops because of weather just seems different to me. One the entire economy is impacted while the other is just more localized.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

And one cost the taxpayer a good chunk of money and one doesn’t. I know it would be called out because farming has a far larger impact on the economy and I agree with that, but you can adjust the amount of benefit to align with the benefit industry provides to the economy.

Farmers get billions but a simple change in the fishing season costs nothing. Match the benefit to the impact on the industry then.

CaptainMusky

Extending the season probably does little to boost anything for these people since there is no guarantee that the ice will hold up anyway right? So they extend it a month or whatever, and then a week into it the ice is unsafe then what?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Extending the season probably does little to boost anything for these people since there is no guarantee that the ice will hold up anyway right? So they extend it a month or whatever, and then a week into it the ice is unsafe then what?

Then they should open the open water season early. Not necessarily to benefit anybody but myself.
    Seriously though, what’s it going to hurt to give them the chance to make up lost weeks of revenue?

CaptainMusky

Seriously though, what’s it going to hurt to give them the chance to make up lost weeks of revenue?

Probably nothing, but we all know how when the government gets their hands in anything its ends up burning us in the end in some way or another. The real answer is what others have already said, never close the season in the first place.

Stanley

How about people learn to budget? Have a good year put some aside for the not so good years. It’s not the governments job to bail people out. What about other businesses outside of the fishing industry that are struggling? What do we do for them? My uncle and aunt owned a resort on a very popular chain of lakes for over 40 years. Just sold it last fall due to them wanting to retire as they are early 70’s now. When they first bought the resort it was a fishing resort and as times changed they changed with the times and by the end it was a family resort where guest still fished but it was not like it was when they first bought. They also closed during the winter the last 5yrs or so of owning it because it was just too much work for the few that came up in the winter. They made good financial choices through the years and set money aside to make it through the winters since they were never full even when they had cabins available during the winter.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

there is no guarantee that the ice will hold up anyway right? So they extend it a month or whatever, and then a week into it the ice is unsafe then what?

That’s kind of what I was getting at too. The ice might be crap again in a month, like unusable if it gets warm again with rain. Which at this point is more than just possible given how this fake winter has gone and the forecast next week.

If the intent to close the season is in place to protect spawning fish, opening it during that time period for business purposes seems counterintuitive. Are we doing it for science or for money? Which one is the greater good for the greater proportion of the population?

There’s going to be a time period this spring/late winter when the ice isn’t usable and there isn’t enough open water either, so no one can safely be out there. We’ve kind of already seen that this winter.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

This has potential to be ranked right up with the barotrauma thread if we keep pushing hard enough.

We can do it!

coffee

My .02 was already stated that I don’t think anything should be changed, nor do I predict the MNDNR would ever consider changing the season either.

Dan
    Southeast MN

It’s not the governments job to bail people out. What about other businesses outside of the fishing industry that are struggling? What do we do for them?

These thoughts have been similar to my own as I read this entire thread. I’m all for resort owners, bait shops, lakeside bars, etc. and I wish them the best. But I’m actually surprised at the amount of people suggesting government intervention here. And as the quoted text points out, there is ALWAYS going to be a case of some business or sector that could use a little help, and it’s not realistic to step in and help.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

This has potential to be ranked right up with the barotrauma thread if we keep pushing hard enough.

We can do it!

In an effort to try, I’ll take the next step. I think walleye limits should come down statewide, I think we should keep walleye season closed during the bulk of the spawn, and I think we should ban live scope. There.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grubson wrote:</div>

Probably nothing, but we all know how when the government gets their hands in anything its ends up burning us in the end in some way or another. The real answer is what others have already said, never close the season in the first place.

I agree, year around season would fix the problem indefinitely.

Deuces

Fudging laws and regulations for businesses bc of bad weather sets a dangerous precedent.

Big ag got with the program and figured out crop insurance, maybe resorts should start demanding some ice insurance….I’m all for subsidizing more private business thru my taxrs devil devil chased chased

Riverrat

Both Farmers and Resort owners have insurance for weather. There is insurance for resorts that have no ice. There is insurance for farmers that have hail damage. Why does this exist. Because both farmers and resort owners have some of the largest lobby groups in Minnesota. Both lobby yearly for legislation that favors them.

big_g
    Isle, MN

The government doesn’t bail anyone out, taxpayers do. I am one and I would not have a problem extending the Walleye season to March 6, the day houses have to be off. It literally costs nothing or minimal tax dollars to do this. This gives one more weekend for heavier resort traffic and possible cabin rentals.

CaptainMusky

Deuces, you are onto something there with your idea!
    big_g, the trouble is yeah, the government may not technically be bailing someone out, but it is OUR dollars and we have no say so in the matter. That isnt how it should work. Have we all forgotten about the automaker buyouts, the banks “too big to fail”? This is their problem not ours. Why on Earth should we the taxpayer be footing the bill? Make it make sense.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.